New Delhi, Dec 18: The BJP on Monday set to retain power in Gujarat, just edging past the half-way mark in the high stakes elections that witnessed the Congress improve its tally compared to five years ago.
Election Commission officials said Bharatiya Janata Party, on course for its sixth consecutive win, had bagged 58 seats and was leading in 41 while the Congress had won 50 and was forging ahead in 27 more, news agency IANS quoted.
The Counting of votes for high-level Gujarat assembly election results of all the 182 assembly seats is underway.
According to the election commission, the BJP won 84, while Congress attained 70, NCP 1, Bharatiya tribal Party 2, Independent 1 by 5 pm.
The voting was held in two phases in the state on December 9 and 14. According to the EC, the voter turnout in the first phase was 66.75, while in second phase of voting on Dec 14 was 69.99 percent.
The Gujarat election results will decide who will be the winner BJP or Congress.
- The difference between BJP and Congress reduced to 18 at 2 pm, as Trend showed BJP was leading on 99 seats , Congress at 81 and Others at 2.
- Congress leader Alpesh Thakore has won from Radhanpur, which is considered as one of the largest constituencies in Gujarat.
- Dalit leader and independent candidate Jignesh Mevani attained victory from Vadgam constituency.
- Congress leader Arjun Modhwadia lose by just 2000 votes.
- Incumbent Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has won from Rajkot West by more than 25,000 votes.
- In the first round of result, the BJP has opened its account as Rakesh Shah from Ahmedabad has won by 70,000 votes.
- After witnessing neck to neck fight, the BJP was leading at 103 seats in the high-level Gujarat assembly election, while the Congress 75 and others 1.
- By 9.30, the Congress close to half-way mark by leading in 90 seats in the high-level Gujarat assembly election, while the BJP on 82 and others 2.
- Chief Minister Vijay Rupani is trailing by 1,100 votes, according to TV9 Gujarati.
- BJP’s Gujarat chief Jitu Vaghani is also trailing in Bhavnagar West.
- BJP’s Nitinbhai Patel trailing by over 3000 votes from Mahesana.
- At 9 am the Congress was leading in 90 seats while the BJP was at 88.
- Out of 99/182 seats in Gujarat; BJP ahead in 62, Congress 36, others 1 by 8.30 am.
- “All arrangements have been made in Gujarat by Chief Electoral officer of the state, at all places in counting halls for the state assembly elections” said Election Commissioner (CEC) AK Joti.
- “I assure you that there can be no tampering with the EVMs”, he added.
— ANI (@ANI) December 18, 2017
“Questions being raised about EVMs have already been answered by us in the media. VVPATs were there in every polling stations in Gujarat, which enabled voters to see whom they voted for, so issues being raised aren’t right. I assure that EVMS cannot be tampered with”, Joti asserted.