WeForNews | Latest News, Breaking News, News Updates Government admits to cases of fraudulent withdrawal of money through Adhaar | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Government admits to cases of fraudulent withdrawal of money through Adhaar

Published

on

AADHAAR

New Delhi, Feb 6: The government on Tuesday admitted that there had been incidents of money being fraudulently withdrawn from bank accounts using the customers’ Aadhaar number.

As per the information, at least six such cases had been reported by four Public Sector Banks so far involving fraud of around Rs 1.5 crore, Parliament was told.

“As per data reported by Public Sector Banks (PSBs), there have been incidents of money being fraudulently withdrawn from bank accounts using the customers’ Aadhaar number in a few banks,” Minister of State for Finance Shiv Pratap Shukla told Rajya Sabha in a written reply.

He said steps had been taken to prevent such cases and action also initiated against those responsible for the reported cases.

While two cases of fraudulent mapping of Aadhaar numbers were reported in Bank of India involving a sum of Rs 1.37 crore, another two cases surfaced in Syndicate Bank involving Rs 2.26 lakh.

In both cases surfacing in the Bank of India, the government said fraudulent mapping of Aadhaar numbers was done by business correspondents or staff.

“Bank has sensitised operational staff to take proper precautions by mapping Aadhaar numbers, strengthening control measures, and stepped up inspections to prevent such frauds in future. Bank has initiated disciplinary action against the erring staff,” Shukla said.

In case of Syndicate Bank, the government said the amounts fraudulently withdrawn had been recovered and to prevent such cases, “the bank is verifying all Aadhaar-seeded accounts through Aadhaar authentication and has issued standard operating procedures for, and instructions for due diligence on, Aadhaar seeding”.

Apart from these four cases, one case each has been reported in Allahabad Bank and UCO Bank involving Rs 1.95 lakh and Rs 0.49 lakh respectively.

IANS

India

Barricades to open on Jan 26 as police allow Tractor Rally

Published

on

By

farmers-protest
File Photo

The Delhi Police on Sunday said that after several round of talks with the farmers groups, it has permitted the tractor rally inside Delhi on January 26.

Police has said that the barricades would be lifted at Singhu, Tikri and Gazipur borders on January 26 after the Republic Day parade is over and the farmers would be allowed to enter upto 100 kilometers within Delhi with their tractors in a circular path on the routes discussed with the farmers.

The route specified is from Singhu Border to Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar, Kanjhawala, Bawana to Auchadi. From Tikri border, it will be to Nangloi, Najafgarh, Jharoda, Dhansa, Badli and the KMP and from Gazipur border to Apsara border to Hapur Road.

“We have told the farmers that the rally would start once the Republic Day parade is over. We expect with the cooperation of the farmers the rally would be peaceful,” Special Commissioner of Police, Intelligence, Deependra Pathak, said.

However, the police said that they are on alert after intelligence inputs that various Twitter handles operating from across the border are active to disrupt the rally on January 26.

“According to our intelligence input, 308 Twitter handles have been generated from Pakistan to disrupt the rally to create disturbance. We are also concerned about the security of the rally given the threat perception,” he added.

Meanwhile, several batches of farmers from Punjab and Haryana set out on their tractor-trolleys and other vehicles to take part in the proposed tractor rally on January 26 in the national capital. Tractor-trolleys have now become a common sight at the Singhu border as the farmers have started bringing in the tractors to the protest site from villages in Punjab for the proposed rally.

Thousands of farmers from Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and other states have been protesting at multiple border points of Delhi at Singhu, Tikri and Gazipur borders since November-end. They are demanding a repeal of the three central farm laws passed by Parliament in September last year.

Continue Reading

India

Soldier injured in Pak ceasefire violation succumbs

Published

on

By

Jammu and Kashmir Shopian Indian Army
File Photo

An Army soldier injured in a ceasefire violation by Pakistan on the Line of Control in J&K’s Rajouri district, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.

An Indian Army statement said, “Pakistan Army had resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation on the LoC in Sunderbani sector of J&K on January 18 which was responded to strongly by our own troops.”

“In the incident, Naik Nishant Sharma of 10 JAK RIF was critically injured and was under treatment at the command hospital.

“Today the soldier succumbed to injuries. Naik Nishant Sharma was a brave, highly motivated and sincere soldier. The nation will always remain indebted to him for his supreme sacrifice and devotion to duty.”

Continue Reading

India

CBI arrests labour official in TN in bribery case

Published

on

By

File Photo

 The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said on Sunday that it had arrested a Regional Labour Commissioner on the charge of demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs 30,000.

P Sivarajan, posted as Regional Labour Commissioner (Central) in Madurai, was held along with a private person N Murali after the CBI laid a trap on Saturday and caught them with the bribe amount.

A case was registered after a complaint that Sivarajan was demanding undue advantage from Murali, representing a private company, for issuing labour licence.

Searches were conducted at five places in Chennai and Madurai (Tamil Nadu), including the residence and offices of the accused, said the CBI.

Both the accused were produced in the court of Principal Special Judge for CBI cases, Chennai, and remanded to judicial custody till February 4.

Continue Reading

Most Popular