FTII director's office gets a detonator, threat letter | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs - Part 262338245760 FTII director’s office gets a detonator, threat letter – Page 262338245760 – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

FTII director’s office gets a detonator, threat letter

Published

on

Police said they are probing the source of the package and the typewritten letter that threatens students of the institute against supporting Kumar and inviting him to the campus.

FTII director bomb threat, FTII bomb threat, FTII pune, FTII director threat letter, FTII threat letter, pune FTII news, FTII news, india news, latest news

The office of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) director on Saturday received a live detonator, along with a “bomb-like” substance, and a threat letter that warned against any association with JNU leader Kanhaiya Kumar, officials and police said. The parcel passed through security at the main gate and landed at the office of Bhupendra Kainthola, the new FTII director, who informed the police following which a bomb disposal unit was pressed into action.

Police said they are probing the source of the package and the typewritten letter that threatens students of the institute against supporting Kumar and inviting him to the campus.

Kainthola, who took charge earlier this week, told The Sunday Express, “I was in office when the parcel was opened by my aides. It was found to have the bomb-like assembly and a threat letter. We immediately alerted police who deployed the bomb squad. They secured the substance by taking it to the open ground.”

Sudhir Hiremath, Deputy Commissioner of Police, said the package was sent through normal post from an unidentified location.

“It’s not a registered post or a speed post. The letter must have been delivered by the postman at around 2.30 pm-3 pm. It was opened at the director’s office at 5.30 pm. It’s not clear how it got past security as the campus is quite secure with heavy deployment of personnel,” said Hiremath.

Asked about the contents of the letter, he said, “The one-page letter is typewritten in English. It’s addressed to Prashant Pathrabhe (the former director who was replaced last week) and threatens students against supporting JNU leader Kanhaiya Kumar. It says, ‘You are supporting Kanhaiya Kumar who’s an anti-national. He’s also speaking against the Indian Army which is a devout force and armymen are ready to die for the country. You should not support him and should not allow him to conduct any programmes’.”

Vikas Urs, a third-year cinematography student said this was not the first time that students had received threat letters but an incident, involving a detonator, was unprecedented.

“During the time of our strike last year, the students received letters that were abusive and warned of dire consequences. But this is the first time such a threat was delivered, along with a detonator, at the director’s office. How can we feel safe if a bomb-like object reaches the director’s office?” said Urs.

Cities

Scribe suffering from Covid jumps off 4th floor of AIIMS, condition critical

The doctors at AIIMS claimed that the journalist was having hallucinations for the past one week. They also claimed that he was in depression.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus News

New Delhi, July 6 : A 37-year-old journalist, who had tested positive for Covid-19 a few days ago, jumped from the fourth floor of the AIIMS trauma centre where he was receiving treatment, doctors said on Monday. His condition is stated to be critical.

The police said that the journalist has been admitted to the ICU in critical condition. The doctors said that he has received multiple fractures. The incident occurred at around 2 p.m.

“The 37-year-old man was admitted to the Covid-19 ward in the Taruma Centre on the fourth floor on June 24,” DCP (South West) Devender Arya said.

The journalist was kept in the isolation room of the Covid-19 ward on the fourth floor of the trauma centre building. The hospital staff informed that an iron grill that covered the window of the toilet was found removed. “We assume that he jumped off the window after removing its grill,” said a hospital staff.

The doctors at AIIMS claimed that the journalist was having hallucinations for the past one week. They also claimed that he was in depression.

Continue Reading

India

SC sets aside Delhi HC order for Gautam Navlakha transfer record

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, representing Navlakha, contended that the High Court did not grant bail or any other relief, and instead, simply asked the officer concerned to file an affidavit.

Published

on

Gautam Navlakha

New Delhi, July 6 : The Supreme Court has set aside the Delhi High Court order, directing the NIA investigating officer to produce the entire set of records in connection with the production warrant and extension of social activist Gautam Navlakha’s judicial remand in the Bhima Koregaon case.

Allowing the NIA appeal, a bench of Justices Arun Mishra, Navin Sinha and Indira Banerjee passed directions to expunge the remarks made by the Delhi High Court against the NIA during the hearing of Navlakha”s bail plea. The NIA had moved the top court, challenging the High Court”s May direction, which made a prima facie observation that the investigating agency acted in haste to move out him from the jurisdiction of the Delhi court.

The top court noted that the Delhi High Court should not have entertained the interim bail plea of Navlakha in the case, as the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Bombay High Court.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the Centre, contended before the top court that Navlakha”s surrender happened in pursuance with the top court order while Delhi was under lockdown. Later, the NIA moved the special court in Mumbai to request issuance of a production warrant as Navlakha was in judicial custody in Tihar jail, added Mehta.

He submitted that Navlakha was produced before the special court in Mumbai, based on the production warrant and the Delhi High Court was informed about it.

Navlakha was taken to Mumbai after lifting of the lockdown, added Mehta.

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, representing Navlakha, contended that the High Court did not grant bail or any other relief, and instead, simply asked the officer concerned to file an affidavit.

Reiterating that the Delhi High Court should not have entertained this matter, the bench told Sibal that he could have come to this court or moved the NIA court in Mumbai.

Continue Reading

India

Jamia case: SG Tushar Mehta turns ‘shaayar’, quotes Ghalib during HC hearing

Published

on

By

Tushar Mehta

New Delhi, July 6 : A serious hearing before the Delhi High Court was punctuated by a rare instance of poetic brilliance when Solicitor General Tushar Mehta turned “shaayar” (poet) and took refuge in a couplet by famous Urdu poet Mirza Ghalib on Monday.

“Qasid ke aate aate khat ek aur likh rakhoon. Main janta hun jo woh likhenge jawab mein (I can write another letter before the arrival of the postman as I am aware of the response it will be fetching),” recited Mehta while the court was hearing a batch of matters relating to the violence that broke out in and around Jamia Millia Islamia last year.

A Division Bench presided by Chief Justice D.N. Patel and Justice Prateek Jalan was hearing the matter through video conferencing.

Mehta quoted Ghalib after senior advocate Salman Khurshid, appearing for the petitioner, told the bench that the solicitor General is big fan of Urdu poetry and has an immense collection of the same. It was a rare a light moment when Khurshid made the gesture and Mehta obliged.

The Solicitor General also said: “Just like Ghalib, I will keep my issues for the consideration of this court concise and short.”

During the course of the hearing, Mehta also raised objections over some statements made in the petitions and told the Delhi High Court that such statements are “more of a political nature which are being made at a protest site” and “not a pleading before a court”.

The objections were raised over the allegations in one of the petitions which stated that “the Home minister directed that you (police) mercilessly beat the students and break their bones”.

“This is more of a political statement being made at a protest site and not a pleading before a court,” SG Tushar Mehta said while seeking deletion of certain language being used in the petition relating to the violence that broke out in and around the Jamia Millia Islamia in December last year.

The court has now posted the matter for further hearing on July 13.

In a violent confrontation between the police and anti-Citizenship Amendment Act protesters on December 15 last year, petrol bombs were targeted at police personnel, ordinary citizens and the media as a raging mob seized parts of south Delhi nd refused to let go. .

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular