France: ‘State of emergency extended’ after nice attack

nice-wefornews

Paris, July 15: France President Francois Hollande on Friday said the state of emergency was extended in the country for three months beyond July 26 after at least 80 people were killed on Thursday night when a large truck rammed into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in Nice.

According to Hollande the truck attack was of a “terrorist character”.

“An attack on the terrorist nature can not be denied,” BFMTV quoted Hollande as saying at a press conference.

“We must do everything so that we can fight against the scourge of terrorism,” he said. “This is France, which is under the threat of Islamist terrorism.”

More than 150 people were also injured in the attack.

Read Full story at: France: Truck mows into Bastille Day crowd in Nice, 80 dead

Hollande on Friday morning will preside over a security and defence council meeting with ministers and the main authorities in these matters, said the spokesperson for the Elysee.

The president on Thursday pointed out that the state of emergency declared immediately after the terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13 last year, would be lifted on July 26.

To fight against terrorism after this new attack, he appealed “to the operational reserve”.

Earlier in November last year, at least 130 people were killed and over 250 injured in another major terror attacks in France. The attacks were claimed by the Islamic State militant group.

Wefornews Bureau

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts