Flashback 2016: Indian Army stood tall, be it a terrorist attack or Surgical strike


New Delhi, Dec 31, 2016: In 2016 the war with terrorism did not rest in the country. We lost our soldiers in dreadful terror attacks in Pathankot, Baramulla, Uri and Nagrota and faced hundreds of ceasefire violations.

The government failed to restore normalcy in the Kashmir valley. The killing of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani on July 8 caused mob protests and unrest in the Jammu & Kashmir for consecutive 50 days.

A burning Kashmir or a Pathankot-like terror strike is the last thing the security establishment would want in 2017. Such incidents question the government’s strategy and preparedness.

Cutting long story short, terrorists soon planned attacks in Baramullah and Nagrota army base camps and Indian foreign policy to draw UN attention to announce Pak a terror state appeared a mere lip service. The dragon nation China willfully refused to support India at the foreign platform. The befitting reply is still awaited as more than 200 cross-border ceasefire violations have already been reported in the valley this year.



Jan 2, Pathankot (Punjab): Heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists today attempted to storm the Air Force base here, triggering a day-long gun battle in which three security men and four infiltrators were killed, days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s surprise stopover in Lahore.

Read More: Pathankot airbase attack:7 Soldiers Martyred, another Injured In Fresh Blast

June 25, Pampore: The Pampore attack was an attack by Lashkar-e-Taiba militants on 25 June 2016, near Frestabal area of Pampore on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway in Jammu and Kashmir.

A Central Reserve Police Force convoy, consisting of six vehicles, was ambushed by three or four militants while en route from Pantha Chowk to Pampore. The convoy came under attack as it was slowing down at a bend in the highway in order to make a turn. Carrying AK-47s and grenades, the militants attacked a bus carrying over 40 CRPF officers, killing eight officers and injuring over 20 others, several critically. In the ensuing gun battle, two of the militants were killed. It was reported that one or two militants might have escaped.

Read More: Pampore Attack: 3 jawans martyred, search operation ongoing


July 8, Kashmir: The 2016 unrest in Kashmir, also known as the Burhan aftermath, refers to a series of violent protests in the Muslim-majority Kashmir Valley in the Indian-administered state of Jammu and Kashmir. It started with the killing of Burhan Wani, a militant commander of the Kashmir-based Hizbul Mujahideen, by Indian security forces on 8 July 2016. After his killing, anti-Indian protests started in all 10 districts of the Kashmir Valley. Protesters defied curfew with attacks on security forces and public properties.

Curfew was imposed in all 10 districts of the valley on 15 July and mobile services were suspended by the government. Kashmir valley remained under 53 days of consecutive curfew which was lifted from all areas on 31 August, however, was reimposed in some areas the next day. Jammu and Kashmir Police and Indian paramilitary forces used pellet guns, tear gas shells, rubber bullets, as well as assault rifles, resulting in the deaths of more than 85 civilians, with over 13,000 civilians injured. Two security personnel also died while over 4,000 personnel were injured in the riots.

Read More: Most wanted Hizbul commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani killed in Kashmir


Sep 18, Uri (J&K): 19 Indian souls have been the victim of Uri attack. Four militants were killed after terrorists attacked an army administrative base in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri town.

29 Sep, PoK: A military confrontation between India and Pakistan began. India said that it had conducted “surgical strikes” against militant launch pads across the Line of Control in Pakistani-administered Azad Kashmir, and inflicted “significant casualties”. Indian media reported the casualty figures variously from 35 to 50.

Read More: Uri Avenged: India conducts surgical strikes at militants launchpads


Nov 29, Nagrota (J&K): Seven army personnel, including two Major-ranked officers, were killed in the 29 November Nagrota attack, in which three heavily armed militants stormed into the army complex and started indiscriminate shooting within the officer’s mess and residential quarters of the army men.

Read More: 2 jawans killed in militants attack on army camp in Nagrota

Wefornews Bureau

Related Posts