Bhubaneswar, Feb 2: Panic gripped patients and their attendants after a fire broke out in Apollo Hospital in Odisha’s Bhubaneswar on Saturday.
Following information, three fire tenders were rushed to the spot and doused the flames. No casualties were reported.
The incident prompted the state police to probe whether the hospital is abided by the fire safety protocol.
According to news agency IANS sources, some attendants noticed thick smoke billowing out of a room on the fifth floor of the hospital. They informed the hospital authorities.
The fire broke out in the battery room of the hospital, said hospital authorities.
However, the exact reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained.
Most of the patients, particularly those admitted in the intensive care units (ICUs) were immediately evacuated. Some of the patients have been shifted to other hospitals in the city.
Sudhir M. Diggikar, Regional Chief Executive Officer of Apollo Hospitals informed that nearly 15 patients have been shifted to other hospitals in the city after the electricity supply to the hospital was immediately snapped following detection of smoke.
“All the patients have been shifted from the fifth floor. Window glasses were broken to disperse the smoke. No patient has been affected due to the smoke,” IANS quoted the Police Commissioner Satyajit Mohanty as saying.
He further added that the police will examine whether the hospital authorities conduct regular fire audit.
Director General of Fire Services Bijay Kumar Sharma said an inquiry has been ordered into the incident.
“Cause of the fire, availability/functioning of fire fighting measures, evacuation and housekeeping will be looked into. In case of a lapse, action as per rules will be taken,” tweeted Sharma.
This comes a day after another fire broke out near passenger waiting room at Bhubaneshwar railway station on Friday morning.