New Delhi, May 29: A massive fire broke out in a two-storey girls hostel building in Janakpuri area of the national capital on Wednesday.
About 50 working women and students were safely rescued. Five have been admitted to a nearby hospital due to smoke inhalation.
“The fire was reported at 3.05 a.m. Over 50 girls have been evacuated and five others have been admitted to the hospital,” said Atul Garg, Director, Delhi Fire Service.
As per the officials, it was sparked by a short circuit in the basement of the building and soon spread to the ground and first floors.
The incident took place after 23 students, including 16 girls, had lost their lives in a blaze at a coaching centre in Sarthana area of Gujarat’s Surat.
On Monday, the Delhi government directed Delhi Fire Service asking it to inspect every coaching centre and shut down roof top cafes and restaurants which have kitchen in their basements.