Connect with us

World

Federal Judge bars Trump from denying asylum to illegal immigrants

Published

on

trump call

Washington, Nov 20: A federal judge on Tuesday temporarily barred the US President Donald Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally. 

US District Judge Jon S. Tigar issued a temporary restraining order after hearing arguments on Monday night in San Francisco, NBC News reported.

The request was made by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Centre for Constitutional Rights, which quickly sued the administration after Trump issued the ban earlier this month in response to the caravans of migrants that have started to arrive at the US-Mexico border.

In a proclamation on November 9, Trump said that anyone who crossed the southern border would be ineligible for asylum.

The regulations, which will remain in place for three months absent a court order, could potentially make it harder for thousands of people who enter the US to avoid deportation.

In recent years, tens of thousands of immigrants each year have shown up in the Arizona desert or on the north bank of the Rio Grande in Texas, surrendered to immigration agents and requested asylum, NBC News said.

The Department of Homeland Security estimates around 70,000 people a year claim asylum between official ports of entry.

Trump has argued that the migrant caravans were a threat to national security.

Around 3,000 people from the first of the caravans have arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, across the border from San Diego, California.

US Customs and Border Protection said earlier on Monday that it closed off northbound traffic for several hours at the San Ysidro crossing.

It has also installed movable, wire-topped barriers, apparently to stop a potential mass rush of people.

As of Monday, 107 people detained between official crossings have sought asylum since Trump’s order went into effect.

World

Indian Coast Guard seizes 5 Sri Lankan fishing boats with 25 crewmen

Published

on

sri-lanka

Chennai, Feb 19 The Indian Coast Guard on Tuesday said it had seized five Sri Lankan fishing boats which had a total of 25 crewmen.

In a statement issued here, it said the Sri Lankan fishing boats were fishing illegally in the Indian waters when they were detected, about 90 km off Nagapattinam.

A total of 4,200 kgs of tuna fish illegally caught from the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone was seized from them.

All the apprehended boats were brought to Karaikal harbour for joint investigation by relevant security agencies, the Coast Guard said.

In light of the recent terror attack in Jammu and Kashmit, maritime surveillance was heightened to foil any anti-national elements gaining access into Indian coastal areas and engaging in activities detrimental to national interests, the statement said.

Continue Reading

World

Pakistan demands safety for its High Commission staff in India

Published

on

Pakistan

Islamabad, Feb 19 Pakistan on Tuesday lodged “a strong protest” against the way protesters were allowed to reach the main gate of the Pakistan House in New Delhi and abusive calls were being made on the Pakistan High Commission helpline.

The Special Secretary (Asia Pacific) in the Foreign Office, Imtiaz Ahmad, summoned the Acting Indian High Commissioner Gaurav Ahluwalia to lodge the protest.

Ahmad said that during an anti-Pakistan demonstration on Monday, protestors were allowed to reach and jolt the gate of the Pakistan House — the residence of the High Commissioner — despite the presence of Indian security officials.

“It was underscored that despite a strong protest to the Indian government, acts of harassment targeting the Pakistan High Commission, Pakistan House and officials of the High Commission and their families continued, including abusive calls to the High Commission helpline.”

Ahmad demanded a comprehensive, immediate investigation of “this serious breach of security” and foolproof measures for the safety and security of the Pakistan House, High Commission officials and their families in New Delhi so that such incidents do not recur.

Anti-Pakistan sentiments are sweeping India after a suicide bombing in Jammu and Kashmir that killed 40 CRPF troopers was claimed by the Pakistan-backed Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) group.

Continue Reading

World

US Senator Sanders launches second presidential bid

Published

on

sanders trump

Washington, Feb 19 : US Senator Bernie Sanders announced on Tuesday og again running for President in 2020 and vowed to finish what he started in his last race for the White House.

Sanders lost the Democratic primaries in 2016 to Hillary Clinton. The former first lady lost the election to Donald Trump despite winning three million more votes than Trump.

The self-styled socialist, who represents Vermont state as an independent, is set to compete in the Democratic Party primaries. Sanders said he would run a grassroots campaign that re-addresses some of the major issues he focused on in his unsuccessful 2016 bid, such as Medicare-For-All, raising the minimum wage and tackling climate change and wealth inequality.

“We began the political revolution in the 2016 campaign and now it’s time to move that revolution forward,” Sanders told Vermont Public Radio in an interview.

Sanders is one of the most outspoken critic of President Trump, whom he has repeatedly called a “pathological liar” and a “racist”, the New York Times reported.

“Make no mistake about it, the powerful special interests in this country have unbelievable power and they want to maintain the status quo,” said the 77-year-old senator, credited with revitalising the often-neglected left wing of the Democratic Party.

“They have unlimited amounts of money to spend on campaigns and lobbying and have huge influence over the media and political parties. The only way we will win this election is with a grassroots movement the likes of which has never been seen in American history. They may have the money and the power; we have the people,” he said.

In his second presidential campaign, Sanders may face stiff competition in a crowded primary race populated by colleagues and allies, including US Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, Senators Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand and Amy Klobuchar.

Other Democrats, like Julián Castro, the former Mayor of San Antonio (Texas) and former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development; Mayor of South Bend (Indiana) Pete Buttigieg or US Representative John Delaney have also declared their candidature for the White House.

Three years ago, Sanders was viewed as a protest candidate from the political fringe. But today, his policy agenda — a suite of proposals to expand healthcare, broaden the social safety net and make higher education free — has been embraced by many of the Democratic party’s leading figures.

Sanders did not announce from where he would begin his campaign, nor any staffing decisions for new political operation.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular