Connect with us

World

FBI joins investigation of Sikh man shooting as ‘potentially hate-motivated’ crime

Published

on

FBI

Kent, March 6: The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) on Sunday issued an official statement to help the Kent Police in investigating Saturday’s shooting of a Sikh man as “potentially hate-motivated” crime.

On Saturday a 39-year-old Deep Rai was shot in the arm by a white man who yelled “go back to your own country” before attacking Rai.

Several groups including the British Columbia Peoples Party and the New York-based the Sikh Coalition have demanded the incident be investigated as a hate crime.

Alarmed by the incidence, Indian Ambassador Navtej Sarna has also underlined need to prevent such incidents and protect Indian community. State Dept, on behalf of US Govt has expressed condolences and assured justice and protection of community.

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj yesterday spoke to the Victim’s father and updated the country about Singh’s well being. She tweeted: He told me that his son had a bullet injury on his arm. He is out of danger and is recovering in a private hospital.

In less than ten days, it is third such incident against an Indian origin man. Just on Thursday, 43 year old Harnish Patel was found dead outside his residence in South Carolina. On February 22, Srinivas Kuchibhotla an engineer from Hyderabad lost his life in one such incident. He, along with his friend was attacked in Kansas wherein shooter told them to leave their country before the attack.

As for Sunday’s event,  Kent Police have been speaking to witnesses in the area. “We are putting all possible resources toward this investigation,” said police chief Ken Thomas. “To think that this could happen in our community was very surprising and extremely disappointing,” he added, according to CNN.

Wefornews Bureau

World

Red alert issued in Australian state for cyclone Kelvin

Published

on

cyclone Kelvin
Representative Image

Canberra, Feb 18: Authorities on Sunday issued a red alert in the state of Western Australia (WA) after tropical cyclone Kelvin made landfall earlier in the day, bringing with it winds of up to 250 kph.

In a warning, the Department of Fire and Emergency Services told residents of northern WA that they were “in danger and need to act immediately”, reports Xinhua news agency

“There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a cyclone is approaching the area,” it said.

Residents of the Pilbara and Kimberley regions were told to remain in the safest parts of their house, away from windows or stay in evacuation centres.

Further south, a yellow alert was put in place warning of winds up to 150 kph.

Heavy rainfall was also expected. The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has warned of possibilities of heavy flooding.

IANS

Continue Reading

World

66 people killed in Iran plane crash

The plane crashed in a mountainous area near the town of Semirom.

Published

on

brazil plane crash-wefornews
repsentative image

 A passenger plane crashed in central Iran on Sunday killing all 66 people on board, authorities said.

The ATR 72, a twin-engine turboprop operated by Aseman Airlines, crashed due to bad weather into the Dena Mountain near the town of Semirom, an official at the Iranian carrier confirmed to the media.

The plane was flying from Tehran to the southwestern city of Yasuj, reports Press TV.

Officials in Semirom said the crash site was hard to reach and rescue helicopters had been unable to land because of heavy fog and rain.

Spokesman for Iran’s emergency services Mojtaba Khaledi said rescue teams has reached the crash site by land and were trying to find the debris.

Air controllers lost contact with the airplane at around 8 a.m. The people on board were 60 passengers, two security guards, two flight attendants, the pilot and co-pilot.

IANS

Continue Reading

World

Egypt court jails 65 Morsi loyalists up to 10 years

Published

on

Representative Image

Cairo, Feb 18: An Egyptian court sentenced on Saturday 65 loyalists of former Islamist President Mohamed Morsi up to 10 years in prison over inciting anti-state riots, protests and violence.

Zagazig Criminal Court sentenced 44 defendants to 10 years in jail and 21 to two years while acquitting eight of the said charges, Xinhua reported.

The convicts are mostly members and supporters of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood group which has been outlawed in Egypt as a terrorist organisation.

Morsi was ousted by the military in early July 2013 in response to mass protests against his one-year rule and his Brotherhood group.

His angry supporters attacked many security personnel and churches of the Coptic minority in several provinces, following a heavy crackdown on pro-Morsi sit-ins in Cairo and Giza in mid-August 2013 which left hundreds dead and thousands arrested.

Most Brotherhood leaders, members and supporters, including Morsi himself and the group’s chief Mohamed Badie, are being detained.

Many of them have been given appealable death sentences and lengthy jail terms over charges of inciting violence, murder, espionage and jailbreak.

Morsi is currently serving a 20-year prison sentence over inciting deadly clashes between his supporters and opponents in late 2012 and a 25-year jail term over leaking classified documents to Qatar.

Since Morsi’s removal, Egypt has been facing a wave of terrorist attacks that killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers before expanded to target hundreds of civilians, mostly at houses of worship.

Most of the terror attacks were carried out by the Wilayat Sinai, a Sinai-based group affiliated with the Islamic State regional terrorist group.

Meanwhile, security forces also killed hundreds of terrorists and arrested thousands of suspects during the country’s anti-terror war declared by President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, the army chief then, following Morsi’s ouster in 2013.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular