Even passive smoking allied to infertility, early menopause | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Even passive smoking allied to infertility, early menopause – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Health

Even passive smoking allied to infertility, early menopause

Published

on

no smoking-wefornews
file name

A new study warns that, both active and passive smoking are linked to infertility problems and a hastening of the natural menopause before the age of 50.

High levels of tobacco exposure is associated with the arrival of menopause one to two years earlier in active and passive smokers than among lifetime non-smokers who had not been exposed to passive smoking, the findings showed.

“This is one of the first studies of this size and statistical power to investigate and quantify active and passive smoking and women’s health issues. It strengthens the current evidence that all women need to be protected from active and passive tobacco smoke,” said Danielle Smith from Roswell Park Cancer Institute in New York, and colleagues.

The toxins found in tobacco smoke are known to have various deleterious effects on many aspects of reproduction and to disrupt hormone production and activity, the study explained.

The researchers based their findings on information obtained on lifetime smoking habits, fertility problems, and age at natural menopause provided by more than 93,000 women taking part in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study (WHI OS).

All the women had gone through the menopause, and were aged between 50 and 79 when they were recruited to the study between 1993 and 1998.

Analysis of the data showed that tobacco exposure was associated with an increased risk of infertility and earlier menopause.

Compared with never smokers, current or former smoking was associated with 14 percent greater risk of infertility and a 26 percent heightened risk of menopause before the age of 50.

For the highest levels of tobacco use, the menopause arrived almost 22 months earlier for those who said they had started smoking before their 15th birthday and 18 months earlier among those who smoked at least 25 cigarettes a day.

The highest level of passive smoke exposure was associated with the arrival of menopause 13 months earlier than the lowest (zero) level.

wefornews bureau

Health

Redouble efforts in fight against COVID-19, Navy chief urges force

Admiral Singh said that the naval medical teams have set up corona care centres, quarantine facilities and isolation wards in a short time span; 24-hour helplines, and COVID control centres to monitor the situation.

Published

on

Karambir Singh

New Delhi, April 10 : Indian Navy chief Admiral Karambir Singh has exhorted the personnel in the force to redouble their efforts in the fight against coronavirus pandemic.

“We are really the last bastion in the national effort against the pandemic,” Admiral Singh said in his address to his men.

He said that coronavirus has had an unprecedented and extraordinary impact across the globe, as also for India. “We all have soon come around to realising that the danger is real, imminent and unprecedented,” he said.

He also said that the challenge is only likely to intensify in the days and weeks ahead, requiring the force to further augment its preparedness.

“It can no longer be business as usual. We have to take certain concrete measures to make sure that we are geared and prepared to tackle the full onslaught of the virus,” Admiral Singh said.

He also cited the priorities for the force. “We have to redouble our efforts to make sure that our personnel and families continue to remain safe and healthy,” he said.

Admiral Singh pointed that care-givers cannot afford to become care-seekers.

“We also have to make sure that our operational assets, especially ships and submarines, remain free from the virus,” he said.

The Navy chief said that physical distancing remains a challenge for any warship or submarine. “This requires us to apply ourselves, to make sure that our personnel and our readiness is not compromised. Follow physical distancing norms; adhere to advisories; screen personnel, using the word ‘physical’, because socially in the Navy we remain cohesive and close, but physically we will maintain distance,” he said.

He also stressed that the spirit of innovation, sense of generosity and attitude of selfless service must continue to steer collective efforts.

“Finally, we have to keep our guard up and retain our sights firmly on full combat readiness. There can be no leeway on this count. Operation readiness must remain an important priority,” he said.

For the Navy, Admiral Singh said, they have taken certain measures in consonance with government actions, including a stop on recruitment and training; freeze on movements and transfers; and stoppage of work, except those related to national security, health and essential services.

He expressed the satisfaction that all personnel and communities have risen to the occasion and proactively come forward with a sense of commitment, courage, imagination and ingenuity.

“In particular, our medical teams, yard personnel, NWWA and ops/security/admin staff have been at the forefront, and deserve support and recognition,” an official statement issued on Thursday quoted him as saying.

Admiral Singh said that the naval medical teams have set up corona care centres, quarantine facilities and isolation wards in a short time span; 24-hour helplines, and COVID control centres to monitor the situation.

In terms of support to the civil administration, he said, ships and aircraft remain on standby to extend support to the Indian Ocean Region nations and island territories.

“Some support activities undertaken include airlifting of doctors for training, and blood samples for testing, from Goa to Pune; and movement of masks for Goa government from Delhi to Goa,” the naval chief said.

Continue Reading

Cities

Lockdown more stringent in UP, vehicles banned in Lucknow

The clampdown on the 12 hotspots identified and sealed in Lucknow will continue with no movement — physical or vehicular — allowed in the areas.

Published

on

By

Guwahati Road Highway

Lucknow, April 10 : The Lucknow administration has released a new set of rules, making the lockdown even more stringent. The order issued by Lucknow district magistrate Abhishek Prakash, late on Thursday night, has banned all vehicular movement in the state capital from 9.30. a.m. to 6 p.m.

No private vehicles, except those belonging to doctors, para-medical staff, power employees, state government and police personnel will be allowed to move on the roads.

Later in the night, the district magistrate issued another order, exempting the media from the ban.

The district magistrate said that government employees and bank employees and other pass holders will be required to reach their offices before 9.30. a.m and can move out only after 6 p.m.

Shopkeepers that are opening their shops in the lockdown will also follow the same rule.

The clampdown on the 12 hotspots identified and sealed in Lucknow will continue with no movement — physical or vehicular — allowed in the areas.

Meanwhile, the Lucknow zoo has also set up an isolation ward for animals after reports of a tiger in a New York zoo being infected with Coronavirus.

The state government has already made it mandatory for everyone to wear masks while moving out of their houses.

According to official sources, till now, 39,857 persons have been booked for violating lockdown across the state.

Continue Reading

Health

New Zealand reported decline in new coronavirus cases

New Zealand, a small island country with a population of just under 5 million, is halfway through a month-long lockdown aimed at not only containing the virus, but eliminating it.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus

Wellington, April 10 : New Zealand has managed to do something that many countries wish they could achieve: for four straight days, it has reported a decline in new coronavirus cases.

On Thursday, the country reported 29 new confirmed and probable cases, bringing New Zealand’s total to 1,239 — including only one death. Of those cases, only 14 are in hospital — and 317 have recovered, CNN reported.

New Zealand, a small island country with a population of just under 5 million, is halfway through a month-long lockdown aimed at not only containing the virus, but eliminating it.

And so far, the approach appears to be successful.

“We are turning a corner,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a speech Thursday.

“And your commitment means our plan is working.”

For other countries, those positive signs might be a reason to lift restrictions. Denmark, which has at least 5,597 cases and 218 deaths, announced it will begin to lift its lockdown next week if cases remain stable.

Instead, Ardern said Thursday she was tightening border restrictions, meaning all those who arrive in the country will be required to spend two weeks quarantined in an approved facility, rather than self-isolating at home. The rule only applies to New Zealanders — foreign nationals have been banned from entering the country since March 20.

“At the halfway mark, I have no hesitation in saying that what New Zealanders have done over the last two weeks is huge,” Ardern said at a press conference Thursday that many Kiwis listened to live. “You made the decision that together, we could protect one other. And you have. You have saved lives.”

“But as I’ve said, this is going to be a marathon.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular