Connect with us

Dry ATMs rebut Jaitley’s claim of swift recovery post note ban

Published

on

ATM No cash

New Delhi, February 17: Despite the claim of Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley that printing of new money was done efficiently after the November note ban and things were “normalised” in a few weeks, many ATMs in the capital here were found gasping for cash.

As IANS went around the ATMs in the national capital, it found that the situation had only marginally improved from what it was in the thick of turmoil that followed the demonetisation and that most of the cash machines still were bone dry.

Only one ATM in Laxmi Nagar of east Delhi was found dispensing cash out of a total of eight visited by IANS. Rest bore either a ‘no cash’ sign or were simply ‘out of order’.

Similarly, in the Yusuf Sarai area of south Delhi, the ATMs of HDFC Bank, Canara Bank, Punjab National Bank (PNB), Kotak Mahindra Bank and IndusInd Bank were found cashless. An Axis Bank ATM was the only one found with cash in the vicinity.

Same situation prevailed in top locations like Sansad Marg (Parliament Street), where none of the four State Bank of India (SBI) ATMs had cash, in addition to an Axis Bank machine near the YMCA nearby, which has not had cash since the demonetisation on November 8 last year.

One found the situation more telling in Connaught Place, the bustling market in the heart of the capital, where as many as eight ATMs were found to be either dysfunctional or without ash over a stretch of two blocks.

These included four ATMs of SBI, two of PNB, and one each of Bank of India and Bank of Baroda.

Speaking at the 11th Foundation Day function of the Security Printing Minting Corporation of India Ltd (SPMCIL) on Friday, Jaitley said: People used to guess it will take a year or seven months for remonetisation. But in a few weeks, things were normalised. 

He also applauded the security printing presses for their efficiency.

IANS

Politics

BJP sinking ship, says NCP’s Tariq Anwar

Published

on

tariq anwar

New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) Senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader and MP Tariq Anwar on Friday termed the BJP a sinking ship, saying no one was ready to sail in it.

The MP, who supported the no-confidence motion in the Lok Sabha, said if the current situation, as the BJP claims, is like ‘Ram Raj’, then he wondered what the ‘Ravan Raj’ would be.

“The government had come to power with a slogan of ‘sabka saath, sabka vikas’, but today the government is supporting no one, and vikas (development) is absent,” he said.

“In the last four years of the BJP government, unemployment has risen, farmers are unhappy, women are unsafe and minorities and weaker sections are being threatened. The prices of petrol-diesel are going up. The government has also failed to frame sound foreign policies,” he added.

The MP from Katihar in Bihar also said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Amit Shah spent most of the last four years attacking the Gandhi-Nehru family. The government is using investigating agencies for political gains, he added.

“Instead of attacking the Gandhi-Nehru family, they should have improved the situation in the country. All of Modi’s speech is about what the Congress has done wrong or has not done in 60 years,” he said.

Speaking about Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s remarks on mob lynching, he said: “His clarification appeared like a silent support to it. If this government was serious about the issue, 200 deaths would not have taken place due to lynching,” he said.

The BJP leadership, he said, is limited to two people. “This is the reason why those who supported the BJP are nowhere to be seen,” he said, adding the Telugu Desam Party, which once supported the BJP, has driftd away from it.

“The Shiv Sena too is not seen anywhere around. Bihar Chief Minister and JD-U head Nitish Kumar has also shown his defiance.”

Continue Reading

India

SC reserves verdict on plea for larger bench to hear Babri Ayodhya title suit

Published

on

Babri Demolition

New Delhi, July 20 : The Supreme Court on Friday reserved its order on a plea by Muslim litigants seeking that the hearing on the batch of petitions challenging the 2010 Allahabad High Court verdict directing the splitting of the disputed site at Ayodhya be heard by a larger bench.

The bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice Ashok Bhushan and Justice S. Abdul Nazeer reserved the verdict on the conclusion of arguments by senior counsel Rajeev Dhavan seeking the reconsideration of the part of 1994 top court judgment which said that a mosque was not essential to Islam for offering Namaz.

Dhavan appeared for the lead petitioner M. Siddiqui represented by his legal heir.

The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court by its September 30, 2010 verdict had ordered that the land around the disputed site would be divided into three parts — one for deity (Ramlala Virajmaan), another for Nirmohi Akhara — a Hindu sect and an original litigant in the case and third for the Muslims.

At the outset of the hearing in the apex court on Friday, the court witnessed commotion as some lawyers objected to Dhavan’s use of term Hindu Taliban and comparing the razing of Babri Mosque on December 6, 1992 to that of destruction of Buddha statues in Afghanistan’s Bamiyan by the Taliban.

Refusing to budge from his description of Hindu Taliban, Dhavan said that he stood by every word and destruction of Babri Mosque on December 6, 1992 was an act of terrorism.

As senior counsel C.S. Vaidyanathan appearing for one the Hindu litigants described arguments as “mockery”, Dhavan said: “It is an argument based on the destruction of the mosque.”

Dhavan said that the former Chief Justice, the late J.S.Verma had said that Hindus must wear the cross for the destruction of the Babri Mosque.

At this, reminding Dhavan that it was incumbent upon senior lawyers to maintain “decorum” in the court, the Chief Justice described as “inappropriate” the words used by the senior lawyer.

Taking exception to the “inappropriate adjectives” used by Dhavan, he said that “adjectives” that are used in the course of the arguments should be the ones that have the acceptance of the court.

“You may think what you may, but the court thinks it was completely inappropriate,” Chief Justice Misra said as Dhavan insisted that he did not think that the description of Hindu Taliban was inappropriate.

Dhavan said that he could differ with the bench and that will not amount to contempt.

The Chief Justice meanwhile one of the lawyers to leave the court room after he said that “thousands of temple were destroyed and you still call us Hindu Taliban”.

Things came to such a pass, that a lawyer complained that court has become a sort of parliament.

Continue Reading

India

Delhi Air hostess suicide: Court rejects husband’s bail plea

Published

on

Saket Court

New Delhi, July 20: The Saket court on Friday rejected the anticipatory bail plea filed by the parents of Mayank Singhvi, the husband of the air hostess who allegedly committed suicide last week in Panchsheel Park. 

Singhvi is currently under 14-day judicial custody.

On Thursday, a friend of the hostess had said that Singhvi was responsible for the victim’s “extreme step”.

“I had received a message from her (air hostess) where she talked of killing herself saying her husband has driven her to this stage. She was a very strong girl. I can’t believe that she took this step,” the friend told ANI.

Before committing suicide, the air hostess had sent a message to her friend on WhatsApp, saying that she had been locked up in a room by Singhvi.

Singhvi was arrested on July 16 and the subsequently sent him to a 14-day judicial custody.

According to the police, the deceased air hostess had a fight with her husband around 4:30 pm on July 13, after which she went to the terrace and jumped off.

Deputy Commissioner of Police, Romil Baniya, said a full-fledged probe has been initiated in connection with the case under Hauz Khas Police Station limits.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular