Mumbai, March 10: In a joint statement, BCCI and CA have declared truce and India has decided to withdraw its complaint against visiting captain Steve Smith and batsman Peter Handscomb over the Decision Review System (DRS) issue.
Hours after BCCI lodged an official complaint with the International Cricket Council (ICC), the two cricket associations decided to resolve the matter and restore focus on the current Test series said BCCI and CA in a Joint Statement on Friday.
The decision was followed by late night meeting on Thursday between BCCI CEO Rahul Johri and his Australian counterpart James Sutherland. The duo decided to restore focus on the ongoing four-Test rubber amidst the increased attention that emanated during the course of the second Test in Bengaluru. The statement also cited “importance of bringing back the focus to the game and the much anticipated next Test match in Ranchi.”
Terming the two captains as “true ambassadors for their respective countries,” the statement reads, “The BCCI will withdraw the complaint filed with ICC, expect two captains will meet and commit to lead their teams by example.”
Announcing the end of the war of words between the two sides, Johri said: India has always cherished a contest with Australia and over the years, the performances of both, the teams and the players, are testimony to the level of competitiveness that exists between these two teams.
It further said “the joy they (the two teams) provide to the fans, should not be diluted and it is imperative to ensure that the rest of the series, which promises a great cricketing contest, not be compromised.”
Sutherland, who had earlier termed India skipper Virat Kohli’s allegations on his opposite number Smith seeking advice from the dressing room on the usage of DRS, as “outrageous”, said: A series between India and Australia is bound to generate considerable excitement for fans in both the countries. On the field the two teams are fierce competitors who represent their countries with pride.
“In discussing the relevant issues in depth, we have agreed that it is in the best interests of the game to put these differences aside and clear the way for the focus to be on the cricket, and the remaining matches of the series,” he added.
Both Australia and India have won one match each, with the visitors winning the opening Test in Pune by 333 runs before the hosts staged a dramatic comeback in the Bengaluru Test to pocket it by 75 runs.
With the series locked at 1-1, all eyes are now on the third match, starting March 16 at Ranchi. The four Test will be played in Dharamsala from march 25.