Donald Trump withdraws US from Paris climate accord | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Donald Trump withdraws US from Paris climate accord – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

America

Donald Trump withdraws US from Paris climate accord

Withdrawal from 2016 agreement, in line with president’s election campaign promise, could take up to four years.

Published

on

Donald Trump

The US is withdrawing from the Paris climate accord, President Donald Trump has announced at a White House Rose Garden speech.

Before the announcement, Trump informed Congress about his decision preparing Republican legislators with arguments and lines to take in the face of an expected blowback.

Trump said it was his solemn duty to protect “America and its citizen” and thus “the US will withdraw from the Paris climate accord, but begin negotiations to re-enter the Paris accord or a new transaction on terms that are fair to the United States”.

“So we are getting out, but we will start to negoatiate and see if we can make a deal that’s fair”, Trump added. He described the Paris climate Accord as an “agreement that is disadvantageous to the US to the exclusive benefits of other countries”.

Trump announced that as of Thursday, “the US wil cease all implementation of the Accord and the draconian measures [it] imposes on our country”. This also means canceling all contributions to the Green Climate Fund “whic is costing the US a vast fortune”.

Trump also said he could not “in good conscience support a deal that punishes the US and that poses no punishment for the world’s great polluters”.

According to the rules of the 2016 Paris deal, stepping out of its provisions will be a lengthy process that could take up to four years.

Trump’s withdrawal from the accord fulfils a major campaign promise and is in line with his America First policy as laid out before being elected president.

Trump’s promise has drawn condemnation from many corners of the world.

“Climate change is not a fairy tale,” Antonio Tajani, European Parliament president, said on Wednesday.

“People die or are obliged to leave their homes because of desertification, lack of water, exposure to disease, extreme weather conditions.”

Jean Claude Juncker, European Commission president,warned that quitting the Paris agreement is not a straightforward process.

“The Americans can’t just leave the climate protection agreement,” Juncker announced in Germany on Wednesday.

“Mr Trump believes that because he doesn’t know the details.”

Juncker said it is the “duty of Europe” to tell the US how the agreement works.

Earlier on Thursday, China said it will keep up its end of the Paris climate change accord, even if the US pulls out from the agreement.

Li Keqiang, China’s prime minister, said his country will continue to work with the EU and other countries to uphold the deal.

Speaking after bilateral talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin, Li said it was “also in our interest … to work step by step towards sustainable development” and environmental protection together with the international community.

WeForNews and news agencies

America

US unemployment rate falls to 50-year low

Published

on

The U.S. unemployment rate fell in September to a new five-decade low of 3.5%, while employers added a modest 136,000 jobs.

The Labor Department says that despite the ultra-low unemployment rate, which was down from 3.7% in August, average hourly wages slipped by a penny. Hourly pay rose just 2.9% from a year earlier, lower than 3.4% at the beginning of the year.

Hiring has slowed this year as the U.S.-China trade war has intensified, global growth has slowed, and businesses have cut back on their investment spending. Still, hiring has averaged 157,000 in the past three months, enough to lower the unemployment rate over time.

The unemployment rate for Latinos fell to 3.9%, the lowest on records dating from 1973.

Continue Reading

America

Trump embarrassed by TV channel

As Trump was speaking to the media after meeting Zelensky to clarify his position, MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace cut into it, saying: “We hate to do this but the President isn’t telling the truth.”

Published

on

By

New York, Sep 26 : US President Donald Trump was subjected to an embarrassment when the MSNBC news channel cut away from his press conference while he was speaking on the controversy surrounding him over the Ukrainian probe against former Vice President Joe Biden.

Trump on Wednesday was addressing the press conference against the backdrop of impeachment proceedings announced against him by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi following allegations that he put pressure on the Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to order a probe against Biden whose family has business interests there.

The allegation against Trump came to light because of a whistleblower and a transcript of the conversation between him and Zelensky in July, which has become public.

As Trump was speaking to the media after meeting Zelensky to clarify his position, MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace cut into it, saying: “We hate to do this but the President isn’t telling the truth.”

She added that Trump was trying to do it to deflect the attention from his impeachment.

According to the transcript of the telephonic conversation that has gone public, Trump is heard asking Zelensky to “do us a favour”, after the latter expresses gratitude for the military aid the US provided to his country.

Trump’s words of “do us a favour” is seen as a quid pro quo for the American military aid, because of which the impeachment proceedings have been announced.

After Wallace cut the press conference, her guest on the programme, justice and security analyst Matthew Miller, rebuked Trump for saying that Biden and his son had done wrong.

“This story has been looked at and thoroughly debunked by everyone involved,” Miller said, adding the real issue was whether Trump’s conduct is “impeachable”.

Trump is facing problem at a time when he is in New York to attend the UN General Assembly.

Continue Reading

America

Kim Jong-un receives ‘excellent’ letter from Trump

Published

on

Kim , Trump

Pyongyang, June 23 North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has received a personal letter with “excellent” and “interesting” content from US President Donald Trump, Pyongyang’s state media said on Sunday.

“After reading the letter, the Supreme Leader of the Party, the state and the armed forces said with satisfaction that the letter is of excellent content,” the Korean Central News Agency said, referring to its leader.

“Appreciating the political judging faculty and extraordinary courage of President Trump, Kim Jong-un said that he would seriously contemplate the interesting content,” it added.

The KCNA did not disclose when and how the letter was delivered to Kim, reports Yonhap News Agency.

The letter appears to be in response to the one Kim sent to Trump recently in time for the anniversary of their first-ever summit in Singapore last June.

Trump had described Kim’s letter as “beautiful” and “very warm”. He also emphasized that the relationship between them remains strong and that “something will happen that’s going to be very positive”.

The exchange of correspondence between the leaders renewed hopes for a resumption of denuclearization talks which have stalled since the breakdown of their second summit in February.

The summit collapsed as Pyongyang wanted sanctions relief as a corresponding measure in exchange for dismantling its Yongbyon nuclear complex, while Washington insisted that sanctions should remain in place until the North completely gives up its nuclear weapons programme.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular