Delhi, Aug 28, 2017: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidate Ram Chandra was leading in the Bawana Assembly by-poll in Delhi by around 20,000 votes, giving a boost to the party which is in power in Delhi.
After 23 out of 28 rounds of counting was over, the AAP candidate had 51,070 votes against 29,595 votes of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Ved Prakash. Congress candidate Surender Kumar had 28,126 votes.
The by-poll was necessitated after Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLA Ved Prakash quit the party and resigned from the assembly seat to join the Bharatiya Janata Party (Lead).
Voting was conducted on August 23 at 379 polling booths. The polling percentage remaind quite low as only 45 per cent people voted.
The results are crucial for all the three political parties who had exuded confidence to win the seat.
While the AAP is hoping to pass this litmus test by reclaiming the seat and putting a stop to its waning popularity, the BJP is trying to continue its winning streak after the Rajouri Garden Assembly bypoll and municipal corporations election.
The Congress is also hoping to open its account in the 70-member assembly by winning this seat.
AAP’s Ram Chandra, BJP’s Ved Prakash and the Congress’s Surender Kumar are in fray in Bawana.
One of the 12 reserved constituencies, Bawana has around 2.94 lakh voters and is dotted with 26 villages, unauthoried colonies and slums.
- Round 20: AAP’s Ram Chander is leading by 19929 votes while Congress’s Surender Kumar was far behind with 26659 votes.
- Round 19: AAP stays ahead with 42942 votes, Congress at second position with 25882, BJP 23949.
- Round 18: With 40402 votes AAP is all set to win Bawana bypoll; Congress 25187 and BJP 22750.
- Round 17: AAP’s Ram Chander is leading by 12230 votes while Congress’s Surender Kumar is trailing with 24648.
- Round 16: AAP takes a big lead, garners 34653 votes. Congress 23736, BJP 21378.
- Round 15: AAP’s Ram Chander takes a lead of 7433 votes over Congress’s Surender Kumar in 15th round of counting.
- Round 14: AAP leading over Congress. Ram Chandra races ahead with 27647 votes; Surendra Kumar stays in contest with 22936, BJP candidate Ved Prakash remains at third position with 19542 votes.
- Round 13: AAP continues to lead with 25374 votes, Congress 22465 and BJP continues to remain at third position with 18041 votes.
- Round 12: AAP has again taken a lead with 23216 votes; Congress 21848 and BJP 16561.
- Bawana by-poll results after 11th round counting: Congress – 20914, AAP- 20785, BJP- 15346.
- Congress’s Surender Kumar leading over AAP’s Ram Chander with a margin of 129 votes in 11th round of counting.
- Round 10: Congress makes a comeback, gets 19387 votes, AAP 19095, BJP far behind with 14136.
- Results after 8 rounds: AAP 15979, Congress 15640, BJP 11806.
- Congress candidate Surender Kumar leading with a margin of 3437 votes after six rounds of counting.
- AAP’s candidate Ram Chander is maintaining his lead with 17785 after 9 rounds of counting. Congress’ Surender Kumar is in second position with 19095.
- Congress’ Surender Kumar is leading with 11097 votes after 5th round of counting. Ved Parkash of Bharatiya Janata Party is in second position with 9745.
- After third round Congress increases lead by 1200 votes as Ram Chander 5081, Ved Prakash 5145 and Surender Kumar 6355.
- According to Reports, Congress is leading after two rounds of counting. Congress candidate Surender Kumar leading with 3796 votes after 2nd round, AAP 3451, BJP 3154 so far.