Connect with us

Cities

Delhi hospital removes 856 stones from man’s kidney

The team explained that for the surgery a temporary tubing was put in the left ureter after removing the stones, to circumvent the ureteric obstruction.

Published

on

Kidney Stones Removal

New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) Doctors at Fortis Hospital here on Monday said they removed 856 stones from the left kidney of a 45-year-old patient at one go, using minimally invasive surgical techniques.

The patient was brought to the hospital when he noticed blood in his urine. The ultrasound showed the presence of two large stones in his kidney.

“The patient had a history of stones in the left kidney and was first operated in 2007. There were no visible symptoms of kidney stones this time, except for the fact, he started passing blood in urine only two days prior to the operation,” Rajinder Yadav from Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh said in a statement.

“The ultrasound showed the presence of two stones, which were roughly 33 millimetres each in size. As the surgery progressed, 856 stones were found in the left kidney and urinary tract. The surgery was done using minimally invasive techniques, which resulted in less pain and loss of blood,” Yadav explained.

The team explained that for the surgery a temporary tubing was put in the left ureter after removing the stones, to circumvent the ureteric obstruction.

Subsequently, the patient was planned for second stage surgery to correct the obstruction with a minimally invasive procedure — laser endopyelotomy.

The doctors added that the patient was discharged the next day after his successful surgery.

According to the Guinness World Records, an Indian doctor holds the record for removing the highest number of kidney stones from a patient.

The most kidney stones removed from a patient is 172,155. Dr Ashish Rawandale had operated on Dhanraj Wadile at the Institute of Urology, Dhule, Maharastra in 2009, according to the Guinness World Records website.

Cities

Himachal Rains: Traffic to Manali restored partially

Published

on

Shimla, Sep 25: Traffic to picturesque Himachal tourist resort Manali was restored partially on Tuesday, a day after all major road links snapped due to landslides triggered by heavy rains, officials said.

However, the administration has advised the motorists to travel towards Manali only in case of emergency.

“The traffic was partially restored through a narrow link road. Only small vehicles have been allowed.

“Chances of more landslides are high. The national highway between Kullu and Manali is still blocked at various places,” Subdivisional Magistrate Raman Gharsanghi told IANS over phone.

He said telecommunication services have been severely affected by the heavy rainfall and landslides in the past three days.

Gharsanghi said major landslides have occurred in Vashisht and Rangri, both located in Manali town. However, there was no loss of life.

Two people were killed in Pangi village in Kinnaur district late on Monday when their vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a gorge.

IANS

Continue Reading

Cities

Bengal school violence orchestrated by outsiders: Minister

Published

on

West Bengal School Violence

Kolkata, Sep 25 (IANS) West Bengal Education Minister Partha Chatterjee on Monday claimed the violence that took place in a North Dinajpur district school over the recruitment of new teachers last week was not orchestrated by students, but by outsiders.

The Minister, who had previously blamed the BJP and RSS for the unrest in which two youths were allegedly killed, however, refused to pinpoint any one as guilty, stating probe was on.

“I think the students did not create the ruckus in the school. It must be the work of the outsiders. If the students were agitating on the demand for new teachers in school why would they cause such damage to the school’s property?” Chatterjee said after a meeting here with the District Inspectors (DI) of schools.

“Some people carrying a certain flag orchestrated the violence from behind keeping the students in front. Since the investigation is on, we will not accuse anyone. Be it the headmaster or the managing committee of the school, no one is above scrutiny. Not even the police,” he said.

A massive clash broke out between a mob and police outside Darivit High School in North Dinajpur district’s Islampur area last week over the recruitment of two new teachers of Urdu and Sanskrit languages in the school while the students had been demanding teachers in literature and science subjects.

The new teachers were stopped from entering the school on Thursday afternoon by the agitating students, who later blocked the road and clashed with police when they arrived on the spot.

Villagers claimed the youths, both former students of the school, were killed in police firing, whereas the police maintained no bullets were fired by them and claimed that miscreants armed with guns, bombs and sticks attacked them outside the school.

Referring to the meeting with the DIs, Chatterjee said they have been instructed to submit detailed report regarding the infrastructure of the schools under their purview along with the number of male and female students, teachers as well as the requirement for additional teachers in those schools.

He said all 22 sanctioned posts for teachers including five para-teachers in that school were filled up as per the district education department report.

“I have seen in the preliminary investigation that all the sanctioned posts for teachers in that school were filled. So either there is an error in the report or the students were demanding additional teachers, which is within their rights,” he said.

Terming the incident of violence as barbaric and pathetic, Chatterjee reiterated that no one will be spared if found guilty.

“The Chief Minister has asked me to strongly handle the situation and take strict action against those found guilty. No one will be spared. We have asked the DIs to do their job with courage,” he added.

Continue Reading

Cities

SpiceJet to start Shirdi-Delhi flight from October

Published

on

Spicejet

New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Budget carrier SpiceJet will commence flight service on the Shirdi-Delhi-Shirdi sector from October 1, said the airline on Monday.

“Our new flight will offer an immediate boost to religious tourism that the city is best known for,” Shilpa Bhatia, Chief Sales and Revenue Officer, SpiceJet, was quoted in a statement.

Besides, it will also launch a new daily direct flight on the Mumbai-Kanpur route from October 8.

The airline will also operate first direct flight on the Mumbai-Jaisalmer route starting October 29 and a third direct flight on Mumbai-Kolkata sector from November 1.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular