WeForNews | Latest News, Breaking News, News Updates Delhi Gang-Rape: Juvenile convict to walk free Today,Plea to stall his release in SC on Monday | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Delhi Gang-Rape: Juvenile convict to walk free Today,Plea to stall his release in SC on Monday

Published

on

The juvenile convict in the December 2012 Delhi bus gang rape is set to walk free on Sunday as the Supreme Court refused to give an urgent hearing to the petition filed by  the Delhi Commission for Women to stall his release.

A vacation bench headed by Justice A.K. Goel, however, decided to hear the matter only on Monday. It did not stay the release.But the Juvenile convict was moved to an undisclosed location days before his scheduled release for Today

Sources said the convict, who is now 20, had already been handed over to an NGO and would remain in its custody for six months under police protection.

Maliwal along with a legal team approached the court late night and filed the petition.

“After going though the matter, Chief Justice of India has sent the case to the judges of vacation bench comprising Justice Adarsh Goel and Justice Uday Lalit,” Maliwal told reporters.

“The court has accepted the case and listed it as the item number 3 which is to be heard on Monday,” she said.

“Since the case has been registered, the matter is sub-judice now and hence the Nirbhaya rapist should not be released on Sunday,” she said. “I hope the juvenile convict in Nirbhaya gang rape case is kept in juvenile home until the case is heard.”

In the petition, DCW has pitched for not releasing the juvenile convict until his mental reformation is ascertained.

“The government of India in its stand submitted that there is no material to establish that the mental state of the respondent has been reformed. His behaviour and attitude in the special home confirmed by the government agencies is that the respondent continues to have criminal/perverse bent of mind which poses a serious threat to women…,” DCW wrote in its petition.

“Thus releasing the said respondent without even calling for an assessment of his mental state may be extremely dangerous to the society,” the petition said.

The convict in Nirbhaya gang rape case is now 20 years old. He was a juvenile in 2012 when he committed the heinous crime along with his friends in a moving bus in the capital.

The court found him guilty of raping and assaulting the victim, who later died in hospital, along with five accomplices.

Due to being a juvenile when the crime was committed, he was tried under the Juvenile Justice Act and was ordered to be kept in a remand home for three years. He was to be released on December 20.

Cities

Gujarat govt renames ‘dragon fruit’ as kamalam

It should be noted that the lotus is the symbol of the BJP and the state BJP headquarters in Gandhinagar is also named ‘Shri Kamalam’.

Published

on

By

Gandhinagar Jan 20: Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, while interacting with the media on Tuesday, said that the government has applied for a patent to change the nomenclature of dragon fruit to ‘Kamalam’.

According to the CM, the word dragon for the fruit sounded inappropriate and so the Gujarat government had decided for the fruit to be called as Kamalam.

While interacting with the media on Tuesday during the launch of the Chief Minister Horticulture Development Mission, Rupani said, “We have applied for the patent of the Dragon fruit to be called as Kamalam. But as of now, we the Gujarat government have decided to call the fruit as Kamalam.”

“Even though the fruit is known as dragon fruit, it doesn’t sound appropriate. The word Kamalam is a Sanskrit word and the fruit does have the shape of the lotus, so we have decided to call it Kamalam, and there’s nothing political about it,” Rupani added.

According to the CM, the fruit has long since been grown as a form of cactus in the country. “Nobody has to be alarmed by the word Kamalam,” Rupani added.

It should be noted that the lotus is the symbol of the BJP and the state BJP headquarters in Gandhinagar is also named ‘Shri Kamalam’.

Continue Reading

Cities

Another fake social media news racket on temple attack busted

“Accused Peraka Venkateswara Rao, 35, was convicted in the case and sentenced to eight months in jail on June 23, 2015,” the official said.

Published

on

By

Fake News

Amaravati, Jan 20: Police in Andhra Pradesh’s West Godavari district on Tuesday busted another fake news racket regarding temple attack in Eluru town and clarified that the Anjaneya Swamy idol incident was an old one.

“It came to our notice that some persons are using this 2014 incident as propaganda material to spread fake news on the social media,” said a district police official.

Police later registered a case under Sections 153-A and 295-A of the Indian Penal Code.

Police clarified that the Anjaneya Swamy idol incident occurred in 2014 and a case was registered then under Sections 295 and 427 of the IPC at Eluru town police station.

“Accused Peraka Venkateswara Rao, 35, was convicted in the case and sentenced to eight months in jail on June 23, 2015,” the official said.

Meanwhile, Prakasam district police arrested one more person for allegedly dubbing the damage due to corrosion to the Singarayikonda temple arch idols as an ‘attack’.

In this particular case, police identified 33 persons for spreading false information on the social media, of whom six were arrested from different places in the southern state.

Prakasam district Superintendent of Police Siddharth Kaushal on Tuesday visited multiple places to strengthen surveillance system, 24×7 beat and patrol systems for the security of all temples and religious places.

He met with members of village and mandal defence committees and gave suggestions on their security.

On Tuesday evening, Director General of Police Goutam Sawang held a videoconference with all districts police officials over the temple incidents in the state.

Continue Reading

Cities

Gurugram: Farmers to hold tractor rally ‘rehearsal’ on Wednesday

Published

on

By

Tractor March Delhi

Gurugram, Jan 20: The Sanyukt Kisan Morcha in Gurugram has announced that they will conduct a tractor rally ‘rehearsal’ in Gurugram on Wednesday ahead of Republic Day, in support of the farmers’ protests against the three farm laws.

SKM president Chaudhary Santokh Singh said that on Wednesday the rehearsal of the tractor rally will begin from the Bajghera flyover and will end at the protest site on the Delhi-Jaipur highway.

About 100 tractors will take part in the rehearsal. All tractors will have Morcha members present and will carry the national flag.

“The central government is aware of the flaws in the agricultural laws but is not ready to accept its mistake and is continuously harassing the innocent farmers at several borders of the national capital. The government must let go of its arrogant behaviour and roll back the black laws,” Singh said.

He said that on January 26, the farmers will join Republic Day by affixing the tricolour in front of their tractors and will proceed towards the national capital if permitted.

The protesting farmers said that it will be good if the Centre repeals the farm laws immediately, because the farmer movement has become a mass movement and people of other classes have also started supporting the farmers.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular