Dan Quayle: Trump's a 'winner' | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Dan Quayle: Trump’s a ‘winner’ – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Dan Quayle: Trump’s a ‘winner’

Published

on

Dan Quayle

Dan Quayle on Thursday said that he would support Donald Trump should the billionaire ultimately become the GOP’s presidential nominee.

“I was the Republican vice president,” Quayle said on NBC’s “Today.” “I’ve been a Republican all my life. I’m going to support the nominee.

“He’s a winner,” he said. “He knocked off 16 Republican candidates. He’s going to be the nominee, he’s the presumptive nominee.

“I predict that most people in my position, or people that have been around the Republican Party for a long time, will rally around the nominee,” he added.

Quayle said that Trump would eventually mend fences with Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.). Trump and Ryan are scheduled to meet in Washington on Thursday.

“I fully expect that Paul Ryan will eventually support Donald Trump publicly,” he said. “I hope that happens because we do have to be unified. If we’re not unified than we have a real lot of trouble, I’d say.”

Quayle, who served under former President George H.W. Bush, added that Trump more qualified to serve in the Oval Office than Hillary Clinton.

“On paper, you would say, ‘she’s more qualified,’” he said of the Democratic presidential front-runner.

“He’s more qualified in the sense that the American people want an outsider. They want an outsider this time, she’s not an outsider, so if you’re looking for an outsider, no, she’s not qualified and he is.”

 

source : http://thehill.com/

Disaster

Italy’s death toll from coronavirus rises by 75 to 33,415

The rest 35,253 people, or about 84 percent of those who tested positive, are quarantined at home with no symptoms or only mild symptoms.

Published

on

By

Italy Coronavirus

Rome, June 1 : Seventy-five more COVID-19 patients had died in the past 24 hours in Italy, bringing the country”s toll to 33,415, out of total infection cases of 233,019, according to fresh figures.

Nationwide, the number of active infections dropped by 1,616 to 42,075, said the Civil Protection Department on Sunday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Of those who tested positive for the new coronavirus, 435 are in intensive care, 15 fewer compared to Saturday, and 6,387 are hospitalized with symptoms, down by 293 patients from the previous day.

The rest 35,253 people, or about 84 percent of those who tested positive, are quarantined at home with no symptoms or only mild symptoms.

Recoveries rose by 1,874 compared to Saturday, bringing the nationwide total to 157,507.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Facebook employees speak up against no action on Trump post

In a series of tweets, Gillis argued that policy “needs to evolve” and take more context into account.

Published

on

George-Floyd

San Francisco, June 1 : Several Facebook employees have come out in the open to protest the social media giant”s stand on not taking action on a controversial post from US President Donald Trump about Minnesota protests.

“I believe Trump”s “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” tweet (cross-posted to FB), encourages extra-judicial violence and stokes racism. Respect to @Twitter”s integrity team for making the enforcement call,” David Gillis, Director, Product Design at Facebook, said in a tweet on Sunday.

While Twtitter last week put out a “public interest notice” on the tweet for violating the platform”s policies about glorifying violence, Facebook refused to take action when the tweet was cross-posted to its platform.

Defending the decision to not take action on the controversial posts, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Friday said that its “policy around incitement of violence allows discussion around state use of force”.

“We looked very closely at the post that discussed the protests in Minnesota to evaluate whether it violated our policies,” Zuckerberg wrote.

“Our policy around incitement of violence allows discussion around state use of force, although I think today”s situation raises important questions about what potential limits of that discussion should be,” he said.

“Unlike Twitter, we do not have a policy of putting a warning in front of posts that may incite violence because we believe that if a post incites violence, it should be removed regardless of whether it is newsworthy, even if it comes from a politician,” Zuckerberg added.

In a series of tweets, Gillis argued that policy “needs to evolve” and take more context into account.

“While I understand why we chose to stay squarely within the four corners of our violence and incitement policy, I think it would have been right for us to make a ”spirit of the policy” exception that took more context into account,” he said.

“At any rate, when we have to vigorously debate whether to make an exception to the way we interpret and enforce a given policy (as happened on Friday), this often indicates that said policy needs to evolve. I think that is the case here,” he said.

Another Facebook employee tweeted that he was not proud of how Facebook reacted.

“I work at Facebook and I am not proud of how we”re showing up. The majority of coworkers I”ve spoken to feel the same way. We are making our voice heard,” said Jason Toff, Director of Product Management at Facebook.

–IANS

Continue Reading

Disaster

Putin to monitor Victory parade from Red Square tribune

On May 26, Putin told a meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu that the parade would be held on June 24.

Published

on

By

Russian President Vladimir Putin

Moscow, June 1 : Russian President Vladimir Putin and foreign leaders will monitor the Victory parade on June 24 from the tribune on Red Square, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

“Certainly, the president and the guests will (watch the parade) at the tribune,” TASS News Agency quoted Peskov as saying in an interview on Sunday.

“No doubt, there will be foreign heads of state,” he said, adding that it was necessary to take into account “epidemiological modality” and expressed hope that the COVID-19 lockdown would be a thing of the past when the parade takes place.

On April 16, the Russian President announced a decision to postpone the Victory Day Parade, which is held annually on May 9, because the preparations for it could not be carried out amid the coronavirus spread.

On April 28, Putin said an air military parade would be held on May 9.

Putin pledged that the Victory parade would take place later this year.

On May 26, Putin told a meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu that the parade would be held on June 24.

Putin explained that he had chosen the date since the legendary, historic parade of victors was held on June 24, 1945.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular