Connect with us

Disaster

Cyclone Titli claims eight lives in Andhra Pradesh

Published

on

Cyclone titli

Visakhapatnam, Oct 11: Eight people were killed in a very severe cyclonic storm Titli which wrecked havoc in north coastal Andhra Pradesh on Thursday, officials said.

The cyclone, which made landfall between Andhra Pradesh and Odisha early on Thursday, uprooted trees, electricity poles and communication towers and also damaged crops.

Srikakulam and Vijayanagaram districts were affected by the cyclone, which hit the coast near Palasa close to the border with Odisha. Srikakulam district bore the brunt as the strong winds uprooted a large number of coconut trees.

Officials said five deaths were reported from Srikakulam district while three persons were killed in neighbouring Vijayanagaram district. Six fishermen were among the dead.

Parts of the two districts received heavy rainfall triggered by the cyclone.

Uprooted trees fell on the roads, disrupting the vehicular traffic. The state-owned road transport corporation suspended all bus services on the Andhra-Odisha border area.

Several trains were cancelled or diverted due to cyclone.

According to East Coast Railway, railway stations were damaged at several places. The station at Palasa suffered massive damage. Teams of railway officials were studying the impact of cyclone between Palasa and Brahmpur.

According to the Visakhapatnam Cyclone Warning Centre, Titli crossed between North Andhra and South Odisha coast near Palasa with wind speed of 140-150 km per hour.

Local cautionary signal number three kept hoisted at Kalingapatnam port but the warning was withdrawn from Bheemunipatnam, Visakhapatnam, Gangavaram and other ports.

Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu reviewed the cyclone situation at a meeting with top officials in Vijayawada. He directed officials to launch relief operations and closely monitor the situation.

IANS

Disaster

CWC monitoring Brahmaputra, Siang rivers

Meanwhile, the Inland Water Transport (IWT) department in Assam has suspended the ferry service in Dibrugarh district following the inputs and advisory from the Chinese government.

Published

on

Yarlung zangbo

Guwahati, Oct 20 (IANS) Central Water Commission (CWC) officials are closely monitoring the water levels in the Brahmaputra and Siang following fears about sudden bursting of an artificial lake formed by a landslide on the Tibetan side a few days ago.

China has informed India that the landslide has blocked the Milin Section of the mainstream of the Yarlung Zangbo river in Tibet. The river is known as Siang and Brahmaputra in India.

The blocking of the main stream of the Yarlung Zangbo triggered apprehension that the downstream areas of the river in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh might see a sudden spurt in water levels.

Although the water level of the Siang showed an increase at Tuting in Arunachal Pradesh on Friday night, the water level showed a decreasing trend on Saturday.

“There is no substantial increase in the water level of Siang and Brahmaputra rivers in Arunachal Pradesh and Assam. However, we are closely monitoring the situation as flow of water might take some more time to reach Tuting,” said a senior official of the CWC based in Dibrugarh district of Assam.

Dibrugarh houses the Upper Brahmaputra division of the CWC, which monitors the developments that takes place in Arunachal Pradesh and further upstream.

“Last night we recorded the water level at 418.65 meters at Tuting. Today it has decreased to 406.50 meters there, which is normal. The Brahmaputra level is normal so far,” said a senior CWC official.

Meanwhile, the Inland Water Transport (IWT) department in Assam has suspended the ferry service in Dibrugarh district following the inputs and advisory from the Chinese government.

“We have suspended the ferry service in Dibrugarh as Dibrugarh is the first point for the waters to enter Brahmaputra river. There is no report of any significant increase in the water level. However, as a precautionary measure, we have suspended the ferry service in the district,” said Bharat Bhushan Choudhury, Director of the IWT, Assam.

Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Saturday night said NDRF companies have already reached the state and are being deployed in sensitive districts. He has also asked the disaster management authorities in Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Lakhimpur and Tinsukia districts to remain alert for flash flood-like situation.

The Arunachal Pradesh government had also instructed and alerted all the districts located near Siang which might be affected due to the water flow of the river in the near future.

The government has asked the people not to venture out in the Siang for the next 48 hours time.

Continue Reading

Cities

Big mistake from railway authorities: Navjot Kaur Sidhu

Published

on

Navjot Kaur Sidhu

Amritsar, Oct 19 : After a train tragedy here on Friday, Former MLA Navjot Kaur Sidhu blamed the railway authorities for not issuing directions regarding movement of trains near the tracks, where about over 50 people were feared crushed by a speeding train while they were watching the ‘Ravan Dahan’.

“We burnt the Ravan effigies at six places today. Most of them were near the railway track. They (railway authorities) should have at least issued directions to slow down the speed of the train. Such a big mistake,” Sidhu told a media channel from a hospital where the injured were taken.

“Everything was well organised and there was so much police. I could not understand how this happened. Now we are being told that railway authorities did not even slow down the train and that people were standing on the tracks,” she said.

She was present at the function where effigy burning took place. She left, she said, just before the incident and got a call about the tragedy only 15 minutes after her leaving the place.

The wife of cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu also cautioned people against politicising the issue saying those who are doing it “should be ashamed”.

— IANS

Continue Reading

Disaster

NDRF teams sent to Assam, Arunachal Pradesh after warning by China

Published

on

Yarlung zangbo

Guwahati, Oct 20 : The Centre has sent eight companies of National Disaster Rescue Force (NDRF) to Arunahal Pradesh followed by six others to Assam after intimation from the Chinese government that landslide has blocked the Milin section of the main stream of Yarlung Zangbo or Brahmaputra river recently and that it might impact the lower reaches of the river.

The Arunahal Pradesh government as well as the Assam government has instructed and alerted all the districts located near Siang and Brahmaputra river which might be affected due to the water flow of the river in near future.

It is believed that the sudden blockade caused by the landslides might burst anytime and cause flash floods in downstream areas in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

While the Arunachal Pradesh government has alerted the people living in periphery of Siang river not to venture out in the river for collection of firewood or for fishing.

Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Friday said that six NDRF companies are on the way to Assam from Kolkata, which will be stationed in Sensitive districts.

Sonowal has also asked the disaster management authorities in Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Lakhimpur and Tinsukia districts to remain alert for any probable flash flood-like situation and any kind of eventuality.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular