Custodial deaths: Rajini demands action against police officials | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Custodial deaths: Rajini demands action against police officials – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Entertainment

Custodial deaths: Rajini demands action against police officials

Jeyaraj and Bennicks had been booked for not closing their mobile shop in time on June 19 by the Sathankulam police. They were sent to judicial custody and lodged in Kovilpatti jail on June 21.

Published

on

Rajinikanth

Chennai, July 1 : Actor-turned-politician Rajinikanth on Wednesday expressed shock at the way the Sathankulam police officials behaved with a Magistrate who had gone to the police station to inquire into custodial deaths and said the concerned officials should be punished.

In a tweet, Rajinikanth said he was shocked to hear of the manner in which the police officials spoke and behaved in front of the Magistrate inside the Sathankulam police station even as there was widespread condemnation of the brutal torture and killing of a father and son by the police.

The reason for Rajinikanth”s anger lies in the report submitted by Kovilpatti Judicial Magistrate M.S. Bharathidasan who was asked to inquire into the case of brutal torture of P. Jeyaraj and his son J. Bennicks by the Sathankulam police on June 19 and their subsequent deaths.

Jeyaraj and Bennicks had been booked for not closing their mobile shop in time on June 19 by the Sathankulam police. They were sent to judicial custody and lodged in Kovilpatti jail on June 21.

Jeyaraj died on June 22 night and Bennicks on June 23 morning in judicial custody, allegedly due to the police torture.

In his report to the Madras High Court, Magistrate Bharathidasan said that when he had gone to the Sathankulam police station, Additional Superintendent of Police D. Kumar and Deputy Superintendent of Police C. Prathapan did not even greet him nor acknowledge his presence.

As per the report, Kumar did not respond properly when asked for documents.

The Sathankulam police personnel mocked and threatened the judicial officials, according to the report.

When asked to submit their batons for evidence, the police officials first tried to behave as if they had not heard anything.

But when he insisted police officials submitted their batons except for constable Maharajan who made a disparaging remark – ”you can”t pluck anything” – against Bharathidasan.

Maharajan, when asked to submit his baton, first said his baton was at his native place, then said it was at his police quarters residence and finally said he was not given a baton at all.

The report also said one police official ran away when asked for his baton.

Bharathidasan also reported that the CCTV camera storage system did not have any image of June 19 and earlier.

Despite the system having sufficient memory space, it was configured to erase the images on a daily basis.

A woman police constable Revathy, at the Sathankulam police station, in her deposition before Bharathidasan had said that Jeyaraj and Bennicks were beaten with batons throughout the June 19 night.

According to Bharathidasan”s report, Revathy also said the victims” blood stains were on the batons of the station police officials and on tables.

She said the batons and the tables should be secured so that the evidence is not lost, the report stated.

Expressing fear that she may be targeted later, Revathy was initially reluctant to sign a printout of her statement but later on being assured of her safety she signed the document.

The Madras High Court Bench in Madurai which took up the case suo moto had said there was prima facie evidence to register a murder case against the Sathankulam police officials.

The court also transferred the probe into the deaths of Jeyaraj and Bennicks to the Crime Branch Crime Investigation Department (CBCID) to gather and protect the evidence till the case is handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

The High Court has initiated criminal contempt cases against three police officials – Additional Superintendent of Police Kumar, Deputy Superintendent of Police Prathapan and constable Maharajan – for their behaviour at the Sathankulam police station in front of Magistrate Bharathidasan.

Entertainment

Kick 2: Jacqueline Fernandez to star opposite Salman Khan

Producer Warda Nadiadwala announced on Tuesday that Jacqueline Fernandez will play the female lead opposite Salman Khan in his next film, Kick 2.

Published

on

jacqueline salman kick2

Jacqueline Fernandez got another reason to celebrate on her birthday on Tuesday (August 11) as producer Warda Nadiadwala announced that the Mrs Serial Killer actress will play the female lead opposite Salman Khan in his next film, Kick 2. The producer took to social media to make the announcement. Jacqueline turned 35 yesterday.

Sharing a montage video featuring Jacqueline Fernandez, Salman Khan and Sajid Nadiadwala, Warda Nadiadwala wrote, “Here is your BIRTHDAY GIFT that will be remembered Forever! @Asli_Jacqueline overjoyed to FORMALLY announce that #SajidNadiadwala locked the script at 4 am this morning & has written an exceptional role for you! @BeingSalmanKhan’s #Kick2 rolling soon Welcome Back! @NGEMovies (sic).”

While it was earlier announced that Salman Khan will be playing the lead role in Kick 2, the name of the female lead was not revealed. In January, Kick 2 director Sajid Nadiadwala had told PTI, “We are yet to lock the female co-star, post which we will start working on the shoot dates. Kick 2 will happen in December 2021. I am in a process to finish writing the script.”

Earlier in the day, Salman Khan also took to social media to wish Jacqueline a happy birthday. Sharing a photo of himself with the actress, he wrote, “Happy bday Jacky . . Wish u all d happiness @jacquelinef143 (sic).”

Salman Khan and Jacqueline Fernandez earlier shared screen space in Kick, which released in 2014. Directed by Sajid Nadiadwala, it was the official Hindi remake of Telugu film of the same name.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Majeed Memon: Sushant was not as famous during his lifetime as after death

Published

on

Majeed Memon

Mumbai, Aug 12: Nationalist Congress Party leader and senior criminal lawyer Majeed Memon has called out the media clamour around the death of Sushant Singh Rajput, saying that publicising every minute development adversely affects truth and justice. Memon is being criticised by a section of social media for his comment.

“Sushant was not as famous during his lifetime as he is after his death. The space in media he is occupying nowadays is perhaps more than our PM or President of US,” Memon wrote on his official Twitter handle.

“When a crime is at investigation stage, secrecy has to be maintained. Publicising every development in the process of collecting vital evidence adversely affects the interest of truth and justice,” he added.

His tweets were met with mixed reaction, with many taking offence to his posts.

Reacting to the adverse reaction to his views, Memon wrote: “There is so much noise on my tweet on Sushant. Does it mean that Sushant was not popular during his lifetime or that he should not get justice? Certainly not. Misinterpretation should be avoided. The tweet does not in any way insults or belittle him.”

On June 14, Sushant was found dead in his flat in Mumbai, with police declaring his death as suicide. The late actor’s family subsequently lodged an FIR charging his actress girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty and her family for abetment to suicide among other charges.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sanjay Dutt diagnosed with lung cancer

Earlier on Tuesday afternoon, as the news spread that the 61-year-old actor may have cancer, Dutt had taken to social media to urge well-wishers not to worry or unnecessarily speculate.

Published

on

sanjay dutt

Mumbai, Aug 11 : Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt has been diagnosed with lung cancer, it was revealed on Tuesday.

The news was confirmed by trade analyst and film industry insider Komal Nahta on Tuesday night.

“Sanjay Dutt diagnosed with lung cancer. Let’s pray for his speedy recovery,” tweeted Nahta on his verified Twitter account, @KomalNahta.

According to reports, Dutt will fly to the US for treatment soon.

Earlier on Tuesday afternoon, as the news spread that the 61-year-old actor may have cancer, Dutt had taken to social media to urge well-wishers not to worry or unnecessarily speculate.

“Hi friends, I am taking a short break from work for some medical treatment. My family and friends are with me and I urge my well-wishers not to worry or unnecessarily speculate. With your love and good wishes, I will be back soon,” he tweeted on his verified account, @duttsanjay.

Dutt’s health came into focus last Saturday evening when he was rushed to hospital in Mumbai after complaining of chest discomfort and breathlessness. The actor had subsequently been discharged from hospital.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.