Connect with us


Congress decides to boycott Midnight GST launch event



June 28, Thursday :The opposition Congress party on Thursday said it won’t attend the midnight GST launch programme which is slated to be held on  June 30. The decision came after a high level meeting chaired by party’s Chief Sonia Gandhi.

While addressing at a  press conference, former Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad  said “Our party will not participate in the midnight GST launch event on GST.”

Azad asserted “Midnight session of parliament was also held thrice to mark independence of India starting with August 15, 1947. Secondly in  1972, session was held on the occasion of silver jubilee and the third time it was for golden jubilee of our Independence.”

“Probably for BJP, the years 1947, 1972 and 1997 are not important as they did not take part in the freedom struggle,” Azad further added.

Targeting at Narendra Modi government , he said party why BJP is silent over issues such as farmers, Unrest in Kashmir , unemployment in the country, GDP fallout and so on.

Azad also alleged BJP and its chief ministers that they are not taking any action on these issues.

While party leader,  Anand Sharma said that the “country is ill-prepared for roll out of GST”.

Earlier in a day, Congress leader Satyavrat Chaturvedi told news agency ANI that the party has decided not to attend GST midnight session on June 30 in Parliament.

Soon after, the Congress decided not to attend GST launch, Communist Party of India also confirmed that it will also skip the mega event.

“They (the government) are doing it in a hurry without giving proper time,” CPI General Secretary Suravaram
Sudhakar Reddy said.

Prior to this, yesterday Trimool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee  said she will be skipping launch programme to mark protest against single tax regime.

Wefornews Bureau 


Congress seeks financial assistance by central, state govt to families of 39 Indians killed in Iraq



New Delhi, March 20: The Congress offered condolences to families of thirty-nine Indians who were killed in Iraq and demanded financial assistance by central and state government to them. 

Speaking to media, Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad also sought the employment of victims kins in government service.

“Congress offers condolences to families of those who were killed in Iraq. We are with their families in this painful and sad time. It is our demand that they should be given financial assistance by central & state govt & also employment in government services” he stated.

Speaking at Rajya Sabha, External Affairs Minister (EAM) confirmed the dreaded terror outfit Islamic State (IS) had killed all the Indian nationals.

The deceased persons, most of whom hailed from Punjab, were working on projects near Mosul, when they were abducted during their evacuation.


Continue Reading


Death of 39 Indians in Iraq: Why this information delayed by govt, asks Congress

This is saddening for every Indian, rest I would ask why was this information delayed by the govt, they should tell how it happened when they died. Also, the way govt gave high hopes to the families was not right, Sashi Tharoor said outside the parliament.




New Delhi, March 20: Expressing grief over the death of missing 39 Indians in Iraq Congress MP Shashi Tharoor on Tuesday asked why was this information delayed by the government adding, it gave ‘false hopes’ to the families. 

This is saddening for every Indian, rest I would ask why was this information delayed by the govt, they should tell how it happened, when they died. Also, the way govt gave high hopes to the families was not right, Tharoor said outside the parliament.

Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh also questioned the same, saying we had expected this and it was known since much earlier.

Earlier in a day, External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj confirmed that 39 Indians, who went missing in Iraq’s Mosul have lost their lives.

The minister told the Rajya Sabha that their bodies were spotted using deep penetration radar.

“The bodies were exhumed from mass graves and their identities confirmed by DNA tests”, she asserted.

The mortal remains were sent to Baghdad. For verification of bodies DNA samples of relatives were sent there, four state governments including Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, West Bengal and Bihar were involved.

Swaraj informed the higher house that the external ministry received the information on Monday, adding the DNA samples of 38 people have matched and DNA of the 39th person has matched 70 percent.

General VK Singh will go to Iraq to bring back mortal remains of Indians killed in Iraq. The plane carrying mortal remains will first go to Amritsar, then to Patna and then to Kolkata.

All of deceased were construction workers, mostly hailed from Punjab, and were employed by an Iraqi company in Mosul.

In 2014, they were taken hostage by Islamic State militants (ISIS when they took control of the second largest city in Iraq. The workers were trying to leave Mosul when they were held, hostage.


Continue Reading


Sasikala’s husband Natarajan passes away



Chennai, March 20: M. Natarajan (74), the husband of sidelined AIADMK leader V.K. Sasikala, passed away in a private hospital on Tuesday.

According to a statement issued by Gleneagles Global Health City, Natarajan died at 1.35 a.m.

“Every possible clinical attempt was made to sustain his revival. However, despite our best efforts he was unable to recover,” the statement from the hospital said.

A former public relations official in the Tamil Nadu government, Natarajan was ailing for sometime.

He was admitted to the hospital on March 16 for chest infection and was on ventilator support. Late last year he underwent a dual-organ operation.

The body would be taken to his native village in Thanjavur district.

Sasikala, now in a Bengaluru jail convicted in a corruption case, is expected to come out on parole.


Continue Reading

Most Popular