Committed to abide by SC directive on Maradu flats: Kerala | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Committed to abide by SC directive on Maradu flats: Kerala – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Committed to abide by SC directive on Maradu flats: Kerala

The Maradu complex comprises of 356 flats in five buildings and 240 families are living there.

Published

on

Delhi/Kochi, Sep 20 : Even as the deadline for demolition of flats at Kochi’s Maradu ended on Friday, the Kerala government submitted an affidavit in the Supreme Court stating that it is committed to abide by the Court’s directive, for which steps have already been taken.

The six-page affidavit, filed by Chief Secretary Tom Jose, also states that he should be forgiven for any wrong acts and be excused from appearing personally on Monday.

“The government has taken all steps to comply with the directions of the court. Therefore I request the court to exempt me from personal appearance. I wish to assure the court that I shall nevertheless monitor the implementation of the order issued by the court,” Jose said in his affidavit.

The affidavit was submitted after several rounds of legal consultation and is seen as a bid to buy time as the government has submitted an expert committee’s report by IIT Chennai, which highlights the serious environmental hazards that will have to be tackled when the demolition takes place.

In the affidavit, Jose points out the detailed steps that the government has taken to go ahead with the demolition after the Supreme Court ordered it.

“The demolition process requires appropriate technology and machinery for the demolition and expeditious disposal of debris. As on today, there are space constraints for the proper disposal of the waste/debris without proper study and planning… if the entire structure is demolished in one go, it will result in larger ecological disaster seriously prejudicing the inhabitants and environment of even nearby places,” the affidavit said.

Jose also told the court that this is one of the first instances of demolition of building of this magnitude and nature and the department concerned lacks experience and expertise in handling the situation.

He said that he is duty bound to ensure implementation of the directions of the court in letter and spirit, but has genuine apprehension as to whether the harm arising out of the demolition will seriously impact the environment and human life, while keeping in mind the object behind the orders passed by the court and has taken step to deal with the matter with utmost care and concern.

The Maradu complex comprises of 356 flats in five buildings and 240 families are living there.

The apex court had, on September 6, ordered its demolition by September 20 for violating the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) rules.

The apex court had also asked the Kerala Chief Secretary to be present before the Justice Arun Mishra-headed bench on September 23 and with this affidavit, it remains to be seen what the court will decide on Monday.

Jose, who was in Delhi for submitting the affidavit, is returning to the state capital.

In a related development, the Kerala High Court on Friday kept aside a petition filed by a flat resident pointing out that the time given by the Maradu Municipality for eviction was too less.

But the High Court pointed out that the apex court verdict has to be abided by in all respects, and posted the petition for next Tuesday.

At an all party meeting held here earlier this week to discuss the Supreme Court order, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had said that the Kerala government has decided to approach the apex court again.

Meanwhile, at Maradu, those facing eviction are hoping against hope that on Monday there will be some relief for them.

Cities

NRC Assam coordinator says names of ineligible persons figure in final list

Published

on

By

Statelessness in Assam NRC

Guwahati, Feb 22 : Nearly six months after the publication of the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam, the state coordinator of the exercise has indicated that a few names of “ineligible persons” were present in the list and that he has written to officials of all 31 districts seeking details of such people.

In an official letter dated February 19 to all Deputy Commissioners (DC) and District Registrar of Citizen Registration (DRCR) under the subject ‘Regarding presence of ineligible persons in the final NRC’, NRC State Coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma said the matter was of utmost importance as the details have to be submitted to the Registrar General of India urgently.

“With respect to the subject cited and the correspondences under reference, it has come to the knowledge of the undersigned that after publication of final NRC on 31st August 2019, a few names of ineligible persons are found present in the final NRC, particularly who are DV (Doubtful Voters), DF (Declared Foreigner), PFT (those with cases pending in Foreigners’ Tribunal), DVD (descendants of DV), DFD (descendants of FD) And PFTD (cases of declared foreigners pending in foreigner tribunals),” said Sarma.

“A list of such persons has already been shared from your end through the medium mentioned at sl. 2 above (webform).

“As such, you are requested to share the details of such persons who are ineligible for inclusion in NRC but whose names got included in NRC in addition to the list shared earlier…,” the letter said, directing that the responses be given by February 20.

The letter came days after a police complaint was lodged against former Coordinator of the NRC in Assam Prateek Hajela for allegedly tampering with records related to the citizenship exercise, sources said on Friday.

The complaint was lodged by an NGO Assam Public Works, the original petitioner to the Supreme Court about the NRC updation.

Over 19 lakh people in Assam were left out of the final NRC list, which named 3,11,21,004 people as Indian citizens.

The citizens’ registry was released online ending six years of speculation over the mammoth exercise involving 52,000 state government officials working on it for identifying illegal foreigners living in Assam.

The NRC has immense significance for the people of the northeastern state which witnessed a six-year-long movement from 1979 to 1985 seeking detection and deportation of illegal Bangladeshis.

The movement finally led to the Assam Accord of 1985 signed by the then Congress-ruled Centre in the presence of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and the leaders of the agitation belonging to the All Assam Students Union and All Assam Gana Sangram Parishad.

The NRC updation process, started in the state on orders of the Supreme Court in 2013, was carried out by the Registrar General of India under the monitoring of the apex judiciary.

Continue Reading

Cities

Shaheen Bagh protesters clear part of road

The move comes four days after the Supreme Court-appointed interlocutors met the protesters at Shaheen Bagh.

Published

on

By

New Delhi, Feb 22 : The passage between Kalindi Kunj to Nodia (via Road No. 9, Okhla) which was blocked for more than two months due to the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protests at Shaheen Bagh was opened on Saturday.

The passage was opened after the Supreme Court-appointed interlocutors assured the protesters that their demands would be taken up before the Supreme Court.

DCP South East R.P. Meena visited the site to review the situation. However, the barricades are partially placed and the police are checking every car passing through the passage.

The passage was blocked after protests continued in the Shaheen Bagh area of the national capital against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and National Register of Citizens (NRC).

The move comes four days after the Supreme Court-appointed interlocutors met the protesters at Shaheen Bagh.

Continue Reading

Cities

Serviceman opens fire in Andhra over spurned love

Published

on

By

Gun Fight

Amaravati, Feb 22 (IANS) A woman was injured when a serviceman opened fire after she rejected his marriage proposal for her daughter in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district on Saturday.

According to police, the incident occurred in Nadimpalli village. Balaji, working as a soldier, opened fire from a country-made revolver as soon as the girl’s mother opened the door. The alert woman moved quickly but the bullet pierced through her right ear.

Hearing her screams, locals rushed to the scene and tried to catch Balaji. He threw the bag and the revolver and escaped.

Injured Rama Devi was shifted to a hospital. Police detained an auto rickshaw driver who allegedly helped the attacker.

Police said they registered a case and launched a hunt for Balaji.

According to police, the accused, hailing from another village in the same district, was in love with the girl and wanted to marry her. However, the girl had rejected the proposal. As he continued harassing her, the family lodged a complaint with the police. Enraged over this, Balaji came to her house on Saturday morning and opened fire.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular