Chinese nuclear submarine entered Indian ocean in October

Navy chief Sunil Lanba

New Delhi, Dec 3 : A Chinese nuclear submarine entered the Indian ocean and stayed there the entire month of October  but Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba on Monday categorically rubbished the reports, saying, it was just a ”conventional boat that had stayed for a month”.

China has deployed warships in the Indian Ocean region and PLA maintained that it is primarily to support anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden. The Chinese submarine was spotted for the first time after the Doklam stand-off last year.

Lanba further added that there are about six to eight Chinese PLA Navy ships in the Indian Ocean at any given time.

”It was a conventional boat, it was tracked the day it entered the Indian Ocean region and this boat has gone back after a deployment of one month,” Admiral Lanba said

Lamba also assured the country that the Navy is keeping a round-the-clock vigil on India’s maritime domain and for that it is contemplating inducting 56 warships and submarines to enhance its strength.
“This would enhance Navy’s maritime capability which is apart from 32 warships under construction,” Admiral Lanba said at his annual press conference.

He further stated that the process for installing automated identification transponders on around 2.5 lakh fishing boats has begun as part of efforts to enhance coastal security.

When quizzed about the contract given to Reliance Naval Engineering Limited for five offshore patrol vehicles, Admiral Lanba said, “We are looking into the contract.”

“Bank guarantee for the deal has been encashed,” he added.

Total
1
Shares
Related Posts