China turned 500K rural Tibetans into 'branded coercive labourers' | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs China turned 500K rural Tibetans into ‘branded coercive labourers’ – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Disaster

China turned 500K rural Tibetans into ‘branded coercive labourers’

China is pushing growing numbers of Tibetan rural laborers off the land and into recently built military-style training centers where they are turned into factory workers, mirroring a program in the western Xinjiang region that rights groups have branded coercive labour.

Published

on

textile manufacturing China

Beijing: Beijing has set quotas for the mass transfer of rural laborers within Tibet and to other parts of China, according to over a hundred state media reports, policy documents from government bureaus in Tibet and procurement requests released between 2016-2020 and reviewed by Reuters. The quota effort marks a rapid expansion of an initiative designed to provide loyal workers for Chinese industry.

A notice posted to the website of Tibet’s regional government website last month said over half a million people were trained as part of the project in the first seven months of 2020 – around 15% of the region’s population. Of this total, almost 50,000 have been transferred into jobs within Tibet, and several thousand have been sent to other parts of China. Many end up in low paid work, including textile manufacturing, construction and agriculture.

“This is now, in my opinion, the strongest, most clear and targeted attack on traditional Tibetan livelihoods that we have seen almost since the Cultural Revolution” of 1966 to 1976, said Adrian Zenz, an independent Tibet and Xinjiang researcher, who compiled the core findings about the program. These are detailed in a report released this week by the Jamestown Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based institute that focuses on policy issues of strategic importance to the U.S. “It’s a coercive lifestyle change from nomadism and farming to wage labour.”

China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly denied the involvement of forced labor, and said China is a country with rule of law and that workers are voluntary and properly compensated.

“What these people with ulterior motives are calling ‘forced labor’ simply does not exist. We hope the international community will distinguish right from wrong, respect facts, and not be fooled by lies,” it said.

Disaster

Lack of contact-tracing capacity driving coronavirus into ‘darkness’ – WHO

Published

on

Michael Ryan WHO

GENEVA : A lack of contact-tracing capacity in Europe, despite very high rates of positive tests, will drive the coronavirus further into the “darkness”, the World Health Organization’s top emergency expert told an online briefing on Monday.

“We are seeing very, very high positivity rates and an increasing lack of capacity to do any effective form of contact-tracing, which is going to further drive the disease into darkness,” Mike Ryan said.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Earthquake – Magnitude 4.8 in Pakistan

Published

on

Earthquake Strong

An earthquake of magnitude 4.8 on the Richter scale occurred at 4:14 am today in Pakistan: National Center for Seismology.

The quake jolted Pakistan at 4:14 am on Monday at the depth of 10 km.

“Earthquake of Magnitude:4.8, Occurred on 26-10-2020, 04:14:43 IST, Latitude: 36.13 and Longitude: 71.97, Depth: 10 Km ,Location: Pakistan,” the NSC tweeted.

No casualty has been reported so far.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Italy tightens anti-Covid curbs after rise in cases

The tightened restrictions came as Italy and other countries such as Britain, China, Russia and the United States are racing against time to develop coronavirus vaccines.

Published

on

By

Italy PM Giuseppe Conte

Rome : Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Sunday announced new measures to contain the coronavirus pandemic.

Conte said that pubs, bars, restaurants, and ice cream shops must shut down at 6 p.m.

The new measures will go into effect from Sunday midnight through November 24, the Premier explained during a nationally televised press conference.

According to the new measures, 75 per cent of high school students must follow their lessons remotely, Xinhua news agency reported.

Movie theaters, concert halls, gyms, swimming pools, as well as gaming and betting halls, must shut down. All contact sports are suspended except for national leagues.

Also suspended for a month are conferences, trade fairs, and civil ceremonies such as weddings and funerals. Museums, however, can stay open, Conte said.

The Prime Minister added that the government will promote smart working in public administration and that it “strongly recommends” the private sector do the same in order to reduce crowding on public transportation.

Conte said that while the government is not imposing a curfew, “we strongly recommend that people only leave home for work or health-related reasons.”

The move came after the Ministry of Health reported a surge of more than 17,000 infections and 151 fatalities on Saturday, pushing the tally to 203,182 and toll to 37,210 in the country.

Several of Italy’s 20 regions have recently imposed night-time curfews in a bid to stop people from crowding together. They include the northern Lombardy and Piedmont regions, Lazio in central Italy, and Calabria and Campania in the south.

The tightened restrictions came as Italy and other countries such as Britain, China, Russia and the United States are racing against time to develop coronavirus vaccines.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.