Centre needs to strengthen locust warning system: Rajasthan CM | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Centre needs to strengthen locust warning system: Rajasthan CM – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Centre needs to strengthen locust warning system: Rajasthan CM

Minister of State for Agriculture Bhajanlal Jatav said that for the first time, locusts has entered many districts of eastern Rajasthan.

Published

on

Locust attacks in Rajasthan

Jaipur, May 22 : Locust attacks in Rajasthan have turned severe after three decades and hence there is a need to strengthen the Locust Warning Organisation, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot said on Friday.

Addressing Agriculture Department officials, District Collectors and Locust Warning Organisation officials, over video conference, he said: “This time, the locust attack has been quite different as these locusts have moved from the border areas to Ajmer, Jaipur, Karauli, Tonk, Dausa, Sawai Madhopur and other districts.”

“We have to work new ways to control them,” he said, adding that the Prime Minister’s attention was also drawn towards the issue during the video conference held with him recently. Since the Locust Warning Organisation comes under the Centre, the Central government should strengthen it and provide necessary resources, he added.

Gehlot further said that that due to the outbreak of locusts, farmers last year suffered a big loss. Locust invasion is expected to be more intense this year and in such situation, we will have to face this challenge with complete efficiency, he said.

State Agriculture Minister Lalchand Kataria said that on April 11, small groups of locusts reached Rajasthan after over from Pakistan. Around 50,000 hectare area has been affected by them. However, farmers have not suffered much loss as there are no standing crops in this season in western Rajasthan districts this time.

Revenue Minister Harish Chaudhary said that locusts’ reproduction rate is quite high in African countries. A large number of locusts in big groups are expected to reach the state, he said.

Minister of State for Agriculture Bhajanlal Jatav said that for the first time, locusts has entered many districts of eastern Rajasthan.

Cities

Two Delhi Police personnel succumb to Covid-19; toll 3

Published

on

By

Corona Delhi

New Delhi, May 31 : Two Assistant Sub-Inspectors (ASIs) of the Delhi Police have succumbed to Covid-19, taking the toll in the force to three, according to officials, here on Sunday.

While Shesh Mani Pandey, an ex-army man, was deployed as fingerprint expert in the Delhi Police’s Crime Branch, Vikram was posted at the Sultan Puri police station.

Pandey tested Covid-19 positive on May 26 at the Lady Hardinge Hospital as he complained of fever and cough, the officials said. He was admitted to Army Base Hospital in the Delhi Cantonment area.

He is survived by wife and three children. His elder son and daughter are married and settled in Madhya Pradesh, while the youngest son, a class 12th student, is staying with mother in Naraina village.

Assistant Sub-Inspector Vikram, on highway patrolling duty since May 1, was admitted to the Army Base Hospital on May 26 with breathing problems. He tested Covid-19 positive the same day. He succumbed to Covid-19 around 11.30 a.m on Sunday.

He is also survived by wife and three children.

Delhi Commissioner of Police S.N. Shrivastava paid homage to the two members of the Delhi Police family who made the greatest sacrifice in the fight against Covid-19.

Shrivastava also interacted with all station house officers and briefed them about the Covid-19 preventive steps and facilities, like isolation, testing centres, treatment support, alternate accommodation, and reserved beds in hospitals for police personnel.

Continue Reading

Cities

97 new cases in Gurugram as night curfew imposed

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Isolation ward

Gurugram, May 31 : Gurugram continued to bear the brunt of coronavirus on Sunday as 97 fresh cases emerged in the city.

The number of cases are continuously increasing each day. The total number of cases has now jumped to 774 including 487 active cases. In the last 6 days alone, 490 cases appeared in the city, Gurugram Civil Surgeon Dr J.S. Punia said.

Meanwhile, District Magistrate Amit Khatri has imposed night curfew in Gurugram district between 9 pm to 5 am. The prohibitory order issued after the guidelines by the Ministry of Home Affairs for lockdown 5.0. The night curfew will remain in force till June 30.

“In case of violation, the offenders will be booked under IPC sections of 188, 269 and 270,” Khatri said.

In another development, Ashok Sangwan, divisional commissioner of Gurugram range, held a meeting with representatives of religious places, restaurant and hotels in the district.

The religious representatives pointed out that as devotees assemble in places like temples, mosques and gurudwaras, there are higher chances of spread. Hence the administration must patiently analyse the situation before opening up.

The representatives of hotels and restaurants have different opinions. They advocated opening their facilities as they are facing hefty losses. They also said that every hotel and restaurant will follow strict guidelines of social distancing, hygiene and sanitation.

Continue Reading

Cities

Mumbai cases cross 51K, Maha Covid death toll 2,286

The state’s containment zones decreased from 3,169 to 3,157 on Sunday and 18,490 health teams have carried out a survey of a population of around 70.1 lakhs in the state.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus outbreak

Mumbai, May 31 : The Mumbai region Covid-19 cases shot above the 51,000-mark on Sunday even as the state death toll reached 2,286, with 89 fatalities – down by 27 from the highest 116 deaths recorded on May 29 – health officials said.

Sunday’s toll includes a whopping 70 deaths in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region alone – the worst-hit in the country, besides 2,487 new positive cases recorded in the state.

This comes to roughly one death every 16 minutes, and an average 104 new cases notched every hour, in the state.

Maharashtra has been recording 75-plus fatalities and new patients over 2,000 daily for the past six consecutive days, with the last highest figure of 3,041 infections on May 24.

With 89 fatalities, the state death toll has touched 2,286 while the total number of Coronavirus patients increased from Saturday’s 65,168 to 67,655 on Sunday.

The health department said of the total number of cases declared till date, 36,031 were active, an increase of 1,150 over Saturday’s 34,881.

The state has notched a recovery rate of 43.35 per cent and a mortality (death) rate of 3.37 per cent, with the patient doubling time improving to 17.5 days over last week’s 11.3 days, against the national average of 15.7 days.

Of the total 89 fatalities on Sunday, 52 were recorded in Mumbai alone, taking the city deaths up from Saturday’s 1,227 to 1,279 now, while the number of Covid-19 positive patients here shot up by 1,244 cases to touch 39,686 now.

Besides Mumbai’s 52 deaths, there were 18 fatalities in Thane (Navi Mumbai, Thane, Kalyan-Dombivali), 9 in Pune, 6 in Nashik (Malegaon), 2 Solapur, and one each in Osmanabad and Yavatmal.

The victims comprised 46 men and 43 women, and nearly 63 per cent of them suffered from other serious ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, heart problems and asthma.

On the positive side, a total of 1,248 fully cured patients returned home on Sunday, taking the number of those discharged from 28,081 to 29,329.

Maharashtra announced a gradual easing of the lockdown from June 1 under #MissionBeginAgain, with specified activities permitted in phases, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said in an address to the state on Sunday.

Spelling out cheers for Bollywood, film shootings of all types have been permitted with a set of guidelines, while doorstep delivery of newspapers will also start shortly.

The MMR continued to cause grave concerns with 1,548 Covid-19 deaths and positive cases shooting past the 50K mark to touch 51,397.

Though trailing a distant second after Mumbai, Pune Division fatalities touched 415, besides 9,339 patients.

The next major area of concern is Nashik Division with 163 deaths and 2,046 positive cases, followed by Aurangabad Division with 66 fatalities and 1,838 cases, and finally Akola Division with 48 deaths and 1,010 cases.

There’s Latur Division with 10 deaths and 356 cases, Kolhapur Division with 10 deaths and 866 patients, and finally Nagpur Division with 11 deaths and 744 cases.

Meanwhile, the number of people sent to home-quarantine increased from Saturday’s 551,660 to 558,100 on Sunday, and those in institutional quarantine decreased by 940 to 34,480.

In yet another relieving news, there are as many as 72,704 beds available for quarantine in the state.

The state’s containment zones decreased from 3,169 to 3,157 on Sunday and 18,490 health teams have carried out a survey of a population of around 70.1 lakhs in the state.

(Quaid Najmi can be contacted at [email protected])

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular