Connect with us

India

Supreme Court upset over leak Alok Verma’s Reply to CVC, Adjourns hearing till Nov 29

Published

on

Supreme Court of India

New Delhi, Nov 20: The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed anguish over the alleged leak of CBI director Alok Verma’s response to the Central Vigilance Commission.

Further hearing in the bribe case has been deferred to November 20.

Expressing displeasure, Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi said ‘We don’t think anyone of you deserves a hearing’.

Adjourning the matter, the CJI also handed over a copy of the news report which was published on an online portal to Verma’s lawyer, Fali S Nariman.

“It is only for you (Nariman) to read yourself it is not for counsel for Alok Verma” (Nariman is appearing for Verma), Gogoi told the senior advocate.

Addressing him as the “most respected senior member of the institution”, Gogoi added: “If you wish to respond to this, we will adjourn the hearing from an hour”.

However, Nariman expressing his ignorance over the media report, said: “I was also disturbed on seeing it. I will request the court to summon the person who carried this report.”

He also added while the “media is free, but at the same time it has to be responsible. It has to be both. It is my reading of the media. Responsible means responsible and not responsible to someone”.

Referring to media reports that a mentioning was made on Monday seeking more time to file Verma’s response to the CVC report, Nariman clarified that the lawyer who made the request was totally unauthorised and he (Nariman) was not even informed about it.

“It was not informed to me. I was not aware. Nobody asked him to make mentioning. We worked whole night to prepare (Verma’s) response. It was totally unauthorised.”

“I was as disturbed,” Nariman said when he saw newspaper reports in the morning.

India

Urijit Patel’s “forced” exit blot on India’s banking system: Ahmed Patel

Published

on

Ahmed Patel
Ahmed Patel , File Photo

New Delhi, Dec 10: Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel on Monday said that the forced exit of RBI governor Urjit Patel is a blot on India’s monetary and banking system.

“The manner in which RBI governor has been forced to quit is a blot on India’s monetary & banking system. BJP Govt has unleashed a defacto financial emergency. The country’s reputation&credibility is now at stake”, the Congress leader tweeted.

“Every institution carefully built & nurtured over the last 70 years is being trampled upon with complete impunity”, he said in another tweet.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

India

London’s Westminster Court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India

Published

on

Vijay Mallya

London, Dec 10: London’s Westminster Magistrates Court on Monday ordered the extradition of fugitive liquor baron Vijay Mallya to India.

Chief Magistrate Judge Emma Arbuthnot has found prima facie a case against Mallya for fraud, conspiracy and money laundering.

The matter of extradition of Vijay Mallya to India has been referred to the Secretary of State.

The Central Bureau of Investigation welcomed the UK court orders.

Reacting to the verdict, the CBI spokesperson said that “We hope to bring him soon and conclude the case. CBI has its own inherent strengths. We worked hard on this case. We are strong on Law and facts and we were confident while pursuing extradition process”.

The Court announced the verdict following a prolonged litigation involving Mallya, who fled India in March 2016.

The development took place came six days after British national and alleged middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal, Christian Michael, was extradited to India from Dubai.

Mallya has repeatedly denied fleeing from India and said he was ready to pay back the money he owed to Indian banks.

Proceedings are on in the Mumbai Special Court against the businessman under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

Last year, India filed extradition proceedings against Mallya which he has contested. He is currently on bail in London.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

India

Bulandshahr violence: UP Police admit no proof against soldier

Published

on

Bulandshahr violence

Lucknow, Dec 10: Two days after arresting a soldier from Jammu for alleged involvement in Bulandshahr mob violence which claimed lives of a cop and a civilian, the Uttar Pradesh Police admitted on Monday that it did not have enough proof against him.

Officials said they did not have conclusive proof so far against Jeetu Fauji to prove he had a hand in the killing of Inspector Subodh Kumar Singh.

What had so far been proved is that Jeetu Fauji was at the scene of the crime and no more, police officials admitted.

The accused has also claimed innocence saying he was not involved in the murder of the police official or for that matter in the mob violence.

During his interrogation by the police and Special Task Force (STF), he admitted to be passing by the scene but insisted he was not a party to the violence.

Senior Superintendent of Police in STF, Abhishek Kumar Singh, confirmed to IANS: “At the initial point of arrest there was not much evidence against the soldier.”

His family members allege that he was being implicated so that the prime accused, Yogesh Raj of Bajrang Dal, is let off the hook.

Meanwhile, Jeetu Fauji has been sent to 14 days of judicial custody.

The Chief Judicial Magistrate has dismissed his bail application and his family is likely to approach the district judge on Tuesday.

The violence broke out after some cattle carcasses were found in a field and Bajrang Dal activists claimed they were of cows slaughtered by a specific community.

They brought these in tractor trolleys and tried to jam an important road. As a police team led by Subodh Kumar Singh reached there, it was attacked with stones.

Someone in the crowd fired from a .32 bore pistol, killing the officer instantly.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular