Connect with us

India

CBI ordered to conduct inquiry into Narada case

Published

on

Kolkata, March 17 : The Calcutta High Court on Friday ordered the CBI to conduct a preliminary inquiry into the Narada sting footage case, in which prominent leaders of West Bengal’s ruling Trinamool Congress were purportedly seen taking money.

A division bench comprising acting Chief Justice Nishita Mhatre and Justice Tapabrata Chakraborty asked the Central Bureau of Investigation to complete its inquiry in 72 hours.

The court also asked the bureau to lodge an FIR in the case if it deemed necessary after the inquiry’s completion.

Terming the state police a puppet, the bench said the society at large demands proper investigation on the issue.

The bench ordered the CBI to take possession within 24 hours of all devices now in the possession of the court which were used in the sting operation.

Calling it a cognizable offence, the court said the matter involved parliament members, ministers and highly placed government officers of the state, and so a probe by an independent agency was required.

The judges also ordered suspension of and disciplinary inquiry against senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer S.M.H. Mirza within 24 hours.

Mirza was seen in the footage and the website claimed that he described himself a “key person who collects funds for the Trinamool Congress”.

The court gave the order after hearing three Public Interest Litigations seeking an independent probe in the controversy that emerged last March when the portal Narada News uploaded a series of video footages purportedly showing a number of high-profile Trinamool leaders receiving money in exchange of favours to a fictitious company.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

India

NSA Ajit Doval meets Amit Shah

Published

on

Ajit Doval, Amit Shah
Image: Defence Aviation Post

New Delhi, June 19: National security Advisor Ajit Doval on Tuesday met BJP President Amit Shah in the national capital and discussed the prevailing situation of Jammu and Kashmir.

The meeting took place ahead of high-level talks between party cabinet ministers, various office bearers of the organisation and incharges of Jammu and Kashmir over the political situation in the state including the impact of suspension of ceasfire operations during Ramzan and others.

Meanwhile, reacting to the meeting between Doval and Shah, AIMIM Chief Asaduddin Owaisi poised several questions.

“We want to know, the country wants to know what talks took place when the NSA met the chief of a political party? Why did NSA only meet the ruling party why doesn’t he meet all political parties?, he asked.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

India

All arrested ‘Hindu terrorists’ are from RSS: Digvijaya Singh

Published

on

Digvijaya-wefornews

Congress leader Digvijaya Singh has once again accused Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh of promoting terrorism.Citing an example of Mahatma Gandhi killing,Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister said Nathu Ram Godse was also a staunch believer of Sangh ideology and all the Hindu terrorists caught up by the authorities belonged to Sangh.

“Jitne bhi Hindu dharma wale aatankwadi pakde gaye hai sab Sangh ke karyakarta rahe hai (All Hindu terrorists caught so far have been RSS members in the past),’’ the Congress leader said in Jhabua.

While speaking to media at Madhya Pradesh’s Shajapur he said RSS’ ideology spreads nothing but hate, violence and violence leads to terrorism,’.

Digvijaya had claimed that he has always spoken about Sanghi terrorism and not Hindu terrorism.

Reinforcing his stand on “Sangh terror,” he said, “bomb blasts were executed by people influenced by Sangh ideology, be it Malegaon blast, Mecca Masjid blast, blast in Samjhauta express or Dargah Sharif.”

Defending Singh’s charges, senior Congress leader Salman Khurshid said that his statements needs to be seen in the right context. “Ideologically Digvijay Singh has very strong views. He has opposed minority extremism and said that every kind of extremism is bad. We must contextualise what he said rather than generalise it and think he is saying it against one community or organisation,” Khurshid said.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

India

SC refuses urgent hearing on PIL over Kejriwal’s protest

Published

on

Supreme Court of India

New Delhi, June 19: The Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to hold an urgent hearing of a PIL seeking a direction to the Delhi High Court to expeditiously hear a plea for declaring the sit-in protest at Delhi Lt. Governor Anil Baijal’s office by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and others unconstitutional and illegal.

The vacation bench comprising of Justice S. Abdul Nazeer and Justice Indu Malhotra said the matter would be heard on the opening day when court reopens after the summer break even as lawyer Shashank Deo Sudhi, appearing for the PIL petitioner, told the court that there was a constitutional crisis and a vacuum, and the administration was paralysed.

Sudhi appeared for PIL petitioner and advocate Hari Nath Ram, who told the vacation bench that the matter was listed before the Delhi High Court on Monday (June 18) but was directed to be heard next on June 22.

Seeking a direction to the High Court to hear the matter urgently, Sudhi told the bench that politicians were not above the law and there was a threat to the rule of law.

He referred to earlier court pronouncements by which the strikes were held to be illegal.

The lawyer said before the High Court they have prayed that perjury proceedings be initiated against the Lt. Governor and the Chief Minister for making conflicting claims on the strike by the bureaucrats serving in the Delhi government.

Kejriwal along with Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, Health Minister Satyendar Jain and Transport Minister Gopal Rai has been camping at the Raj Niwas, the official accommodation-cum-office of Lt. Governor Anil Baijal, since June 11.

Kejriwal has said he and his colleagues would not leave Baijal’s office until their demands, which include direction to IAS officers to end their “strike”, action against officers who have struck work for “four months” and approval to his government’s proposal for doorstep delivery of ration to the poor, were met.

During Monday’s hearing, the High Court had sought to know from the AAP government who has authorised Kejriwal and his cabinet colleagues to hold a sit-in protest at the Lt. Governor’s office as it was not the place to hold a demonstration.

The bench had said the protesters cannot go inside someone’s office or house and go on strike and as such the strike cannot be held inside the Lt. Governor’s office.

The High Court has been hearing three separate petitions related to Kejriwal’s sit-in protest at the Lt. Governor’s office.

One petition was filed by Leader of Opposition in the Delhi assembly, Vijender Gupta seeking direction to Kejriwal to return to work.

Another petition was filed by Hari Nath Ram through his advocate Shashank Deo Sudhi seeking to declare the sit-in protest at the Lt. Governor’s office unconstitutional and illegal.

The third plea was filed by advocate Umesh Gupta who sought to end the alleged ‘informal strike’ by the IAS officers.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular