At least 7 injured in school shooting northwest of Los Angeles | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Student gunman kills one, wounds others at California high school – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Student gunman kills one, wounds others at California high school

Published

on

Los Angeles School Shooting

A California high school student dressed in black is suspected of having opened fire on campus on Thursday, killing at least one person and wounding five others before he was arrested, officials said.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said on Twitter that deputies responded to Saugus High School in the city of Santa Clarita, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

The department said a male suspect in black clothing was seen at the location.

It was not immediately clear if the victims suffered gunshot wounds or other injuries, said Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesman Christopher Thomas.

Authorities in California were responding to an active shooter situation at a high school in Santa Clarita, a city north of Los Angeles.

A suspect described as a male Asian in black clothing was still at large, the Santa Clarita Valley sheriff said on Twitter.

Health

US President Donald Trump says the United States will cut ties with World Health Organization

President Donald Trump announced Friday that the United States will cut ties with the World Health Organization.

Published

on

Donald Trump
  • US President Donald Trump announced Friday that the United States will cut ties with the World Health Organization.
  • Earlier this month, President Trump threatened to permanently cut off U.S. funding of the WHO.
  • Trump has claimed WHO is “China-centric” and blames the agency for advising against China travel bans early in the outbreak.

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump announced Friday that the United States will cut ties with the World Health Organization.

“China has total control over the World Health Organization (WHO) despite only paying $40 million per year compared to what the United States has been paying, which is approximately $450 million a year,” Trump said during a press conference from the White House.

“The world needs answers from China on the virus. We must have transparency. Why is it that China shut off infected people from Wuhan to all other parts of China?” he added. “It didn’t go to Beijing, it went nowhere else, but they allowed them to freely travel throughout the world, including Europe and the United States.”

Trump has repeatedly criticized the WHO’s response to the coronavirus, which has hit the U.S. worse than any other country, amid scrutiny of his own administration’s response to the pandemic. He has claimed WHO is “China-centric” and blames the agency for advising against China travel bans early in the outbreak.

President Donald Trump announced Friday that the United States will cut ties with the World Health Organization.

“China has total control over the World Health Organization despite only paying $40 million per year compared to what the United States has been paying, which is approximately $450 million a year,” Trump said during a press conference from the White House Rose Garden.

“The world needs answers from China on the virus. We must have transparency. Why is it that China shut off infected people from Wuhan to all other parts of China?” he added. “It didn’t go to Beijing, it went nowhere else, but they allowed them to freely travel throughout the world, including Europe and the United States.”

Trump has repeatedly criticized the WHO’s response to the coronavirus, which has hit the U.S. worse than any other country, amid scrutiny of his own administration’s response to the pandemic. He has claimed WHO is “China-centric” and blames the agency for advising against China travel bans early in the outbreak.

“Fortunately, I was not convinced and suspended travel from China saving untold numbers of lives,” Trump said on April 14.

Continue Reading

World

Pakistan foreign office gaffes over diplomatic fiasco in New York OIC meet

Published

on

By

OIC Meet New York

Islamabad, May 29 : Confusions confounded existed in the Pakistan Foreign Office as it tied itself in knots earlier this week. After IANS reported on how the Maldivian and the UAE Ambassadors in the OIC meeting in New York delivered a crippling blow to Pakistan chicanery over reported Indian ‘Islamophobia’, Pakistans foreign office went and put its foot in the mouth, shoes and socks included.

Incidentally, Pakistan’s leading daily ‘Dawn’ also reported the same story. Foreign Office spokesperson Aisha Farooqi created more confusion by countering the story, saying that it was misleading.

Pakistan’s own ‘Dawn’ trashed the Foreign Office (FO), saying: “The FO statement recapped points from the speech of Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the UN in New York Munir Akram about growing incidents of Islamophobia in India and gravity of the situation. It then went on say that ‘a large number of OIC ambassadors’ shared the concerns about the situation in India and supported the need for a coordinated OIC position on Islamophobia at the UN.

“The statement’s assertion that ‘a large number of ambassadors’ supported Pakistani position implies that not all of them backed it. Furthermore, the statement skipped Maldivian objection.”

A Maldivian foreign ministry statement on the meeting slam dunked Pakistan Foreign Office, saying: “Maldives cannot support any action within OIC that singles out or targets India.”

Dawn also went onto offer a strong reasoning for the diplomatic fiasco, suggesting that in the normal course in the OIC meetings, participants with non-conforming views were traditionally brought around by “heavy weight” — a reference to Saudi Arabia and Egypt — but in this instance the Maldives persisted with its objection and there was no reach-out by any of the so-called heavyweights on the controversial remark.

Continue Reading

Politics

Twitter targets Republicans, allows China to spread lies: Trump

“Twitter is doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China or the Radical Left Democrat Party,” Trump said.

Published

on

By

Donald Trump

San Francisco, May 29 : After issuing an executive order on social media, US President Donald Trump on Friday again accused Twitter of engaging in selective censorship, saying that the platform is “doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China.”

“Twitter is doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China or the Radical Left Democrat Party,” Trump said.

“They have targeted Republicans, Conservatives & the President of the United States. Section 230 should be revoked by Congress. Until then, it will be regulated,” he added.

In his executive order on Thursday, Trump said that “online platforms are engaging in selective censorship that is harming our national discourse.”

The order seeks to blunt Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act which generally protects internet companies from legal liability for user comments.

“Section 230 was not intended to allow a handful of companies to grow into titans controlling vital avenues for our national discourse under the guise of promoting open forums for debate, and then to provide those behemoths blanket immunity when they use their power to censor content and silence viewpoints that they dislike,” said the order.

Trump’s offensive came on the back of fact checks by Twitter which took the form of a hyperlink that tagged onto exactly two of Trump’s tweets and said “Get the facts about mail-in ballots”.

Even after the executive order was issued, Twitter flagged a fresh tweet from Trump about the Minneapolis violence, saying that the tweet violated Twitter policies about glorifying violence.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular