New Delhi, December 21: During Christmas time, you will come across different homemade Christmas Cakes. Not all the world’s Christmas cakes are fruit cakes (yet a lot of them are). Around the world, Christmas cakes vary from fruitcakes, like those eaten in U.K, to rum Cakes in India and Jamaica, to poppy seed rolls, called Makowiec in Poland.
Christmas Cakes are generally assumed to be some kind of as Fruit Cakes only (so are we assuming), these cakes are some variations of Fruit Cakes.
These cakes are mostly eaten in the U.K. during the holidays. Christmas cakes are though varying upon the culture to culture, region to region. They come in many varieties. They could be Rum Cakes, Sponge Cakes, etc. Some of them are in different shapes and some covered in icing.
In India, Christmas Plum Cake plays an important role. Rich, Dark and toothsome, plum cakes are the Flavor of Christmas in most homes in Kerala. These plum cakes are made only during the occasion of Christmas and it is kind of MUST in almost all Catholic homes in Kerala.
What’s in Plum:
So Christmas is almost here and if you don’t have any Catholic friend from Kerala from whom you could ask recipe of traditional Christmas Plum Cake, for then you can have this Quick Homemade recipe of the Cake.
Christmas Plum Cake
Candied fruits and citrus peel – 1/2 cup, soaked for at least 2 hrs in the rum (I soaked it for about 8-10 hrs)
Dark rum – 1 cup (about 240ml)
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Cooking Oil – 1/4 cup
All-purpose flour – 2 cups
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Eggs – 3, beaten well
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla flavoring – 1/2 tsp
Ginger powder – 1/4 tsp
Clove powder – 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder – 1/4 tsp
* In a big mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and all the dry spice powders.
* Pre-heat the oven at 160 degree celsius. Grease a cake tin with some oil. Even if the cake tin you are using is non-stick. I used a springform cake tin as its easier to take the cake out once it is baked.
* Mix sugar, beaten eggs and oil to the soaked fruits along with the rum that was added to soak the fruits. Mix well. Slowly pour this mixture into the flour and spice mix, fold it all together till well-incorporated, and pour the batter into the greased cake tin.
* Bake this in the pre-heated oven for about 40 minutes. The top of the cake should turn a shade of golden brown. Check if a toothpick, when inserted in the middle, comes out clean. That means the cake is baked. Else, bake for another 4-5 minutes.
* After the cake is baked, take it out and let it cool down completely. It should be about 20-30 minutes, before you cut it.
* Cut up slices and enjoy with some red wine and other Christmas goodies.
#Christmas #ChristmasCelebrations #ChristmasCakes #FruitCakes #PlumCakes #trending