New Delhi, Feb 3, 2017: The Budget session of Parliament enters its fourth day on Friday. Lok Sabha will meet for the first time after Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Union Budget on Wednesday.
The lower house of Parliament remained adjourned for Thursday as a mark of respect to MP-E Ahamed who died on Wednesday morning.
Yesterday, Rajya Sabha member participates in a debate on Motion of Thanks to the President’s address.
Meanwhile, the Specified Bank Notes Bill 2017 is scheduled to be introduced in the Lok Sabha today by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. The BJP has asked all its MPs to be present in the Lok Sabha.
- Sharad Yadav gives adjournment notice on Uniform Civil Code in Rajya Sabha.
- TMC stages protest against the government, in front of the Gandhi statue inside Parliament complex.
- We are protesting against the Modi govt over demonetisation, TMC leader Kakoli Ghosh Dastdar.
- TMC MPs lineup inside Parliament, protest against the arrest of MP Sudip Bandyopadhyay.
- K. C. Venugopal of Congress gives adjournment motion notice in Lok Sabha, alleging unethical approach by hospital and government towards E Ahamed and his family.
- Ravi Shankar Prasad answers that BSNL is improving its services. “We take note of your suggestions about any specific area. The human resource component of BSNL and MTNL is 50 percent of their costs. In natural calamities, it is only these public bodies which give services.” The IT Minister gives an update on the laying of optic fibre cables across the country.
- Vijila Sathyananth asks a question on BSNL broadband performance quality and says private players give better connectivity. “Will BSNL and MTNL upgrade their equipment?”
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabha replied that they have set targets for both cleanliness and accessibility.
- Satyanarayan Jatiya asks a question on cleanliness in railway stations. Narendra Jadhav adds a question on what the railways are doing to improve the accessibility of railway stations.
- CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury raises the issue of the handling of E. Ahamed’s death. “I hear of interference from highest authorities. If it is correct, action must be taken. How was life support system put without closest relatives’ permission? Leaders, relatives were not allowed to see him. I ask you to start an investigation.” LoP says this can be discussed tomorrow.
- TMC MPs walk out of Rajya Sabha over the arrest of MP in chit fund scam.
- House is adjourned till 1 p.m.
- The Bill is illegal because the basic statement by Prime Minister on November 8 announcing demonetisation was illegal, says Saugata Roy. Jaitley says that Roy’s objection doesn’t stand. “But his objection is that November 8 notification was not under the rule, which is also incorrect.”
- FM Arun Jaitley introduces Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Bill 2017 in Lok Sabha.
- Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya moves to withdraw the Payment of Wages (Amendment) Bill, 2016. N.K. Premachandran opposes the withdrawal of the Bill.
- House reconvenes. Speaker disallows various notices of adjournment. Papers are laid on the table.
- MPs request topics to be included for discussion next week. The Business Advisory Committee will decide on these requests.
- The Lok Sabha was adjourned till noon after opposition members, including the Congress and Trinamool Congress, disrupted the proceedings over different issues.