Connect with us

India

BJP MP questions #MeToo campaign in India, dubs it wrong

Published

on

BJP MP Udit Raj
BJP MP Udit Raj (File Photo)

New Delhi, Oct 9: As the #MeToo movement gained ground in Bollywood and the media in India, BJP MP Udit Raj on Tuesday questioned why women were coming out with their stories 10 years after the alleged incidents and dubbed it as the “beginning of wrong practice”.

His comments come in the wake of a string of accusations by women against Bollywood personalities, including one against actor Nana Patekar by actress Tanushree Dutta.

“The #MeToo campaign is necessary, but what is the point in accusing someone of sexual harassment after 10 years? After years, how will it be possible to verify facts of the events?

“It must also be considered that it can ruin the public image of accused person. It is the beginning of a wrong practice,” the Bharatiya Janata Party (MP) from northwest Delhi tweeted in Hindi.

Later, Udit Raj said that it was not correct to say that all who level charges were perfect and cannot lie.

“There is exploitation of women; there is a casting couch; but, it is not correct to say that all charge-levellers, all those who claimed that they have been exploited, are goddesses and are perfect and that they cannot lie,” he told the media here.

He said he had come across several honey-trap cases that have come out in the public domain.

“I have also come across cases under Section 376 (rape) wherein the women have extorted money from men. I have also seen cases of women in live-in relationships later accusing their partners of rape. And many (accused) men are still languishing in jail.”

His remarks came after Tanushree in September spoke of her experience at the hands of Nana Patekar on the set of “Horn OK Pleassss” in 2008.

Last week, Tanushree filed a police complaint against Patekar, who has denied the charges.

IANS

Cities

Cyclone Phethai intensifies; over 50 trains cancelled in Andhra Pradesh

Published

on

cyclone-phethai
Photo Credit- Hindustan Times

Vijayawada, Dec 17: Cyclone Phethai has intensified into a severe cyclonic storm over the Bay of Bengal and is set to hit the coast near Kakinada on Monday afternoon.

Following this, The South Central Railway has cancelled over 50 trains in coastal Andhra Pradesh.

As per the IMD report, Cyclone Phethai has moved further north-northwestwards with a speed of 26 kmph during past 06 hours. The storm has intensified into a severe cyclonic storm and lay centred at 17:30 hrs.

The cyclonic storm with a wind speed of 70-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph has been predicted. The Met department has also issued a warning of heavy rainfall over isolated areas in coastal Andhra, north Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Jharkhand, south Chhattisgarh, and the parts of West Bengal.

Many trains from Vijayawada to various destinations in coastal Andhra were suspended as a precautionary measure.

The Visakhapatnam-Guntur Simhadri Express, Guntur-Visakhapatnam Simhadri Express, Visakhapatnam-Vijayawada Ratnachalam Express, Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam Ratnachalam Express, Narsapur-Nidadavolu Link Express and Nidadavolu-Narsapu Link Express were among the trains cancelled.

Passenger trains between Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam, Rajahmundry, Guntur and Bhimavaram were also cancelled.

Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) passenger trains between Vijayawada and destinations like Rajahmundry, Kakinada Port, Tenali, Bhimavaram, Guntur and Machilipatnam, MEMU trains between Rajahmundry and Visakhapatnam, Visakhapatnam and Kakinada Port, Tenali and Guntur, Visakhapatnam and Rajahmundry, Rajahmundry and Bhimavaram, Bhimavaram and Nidadavolu, Rajahmundry and Narasapur and Narasapur and Guntur were also cancelled.

The other cancelled trains include Kakinada Port-Kotipalli Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) passenger, Kotipalli-Kakinada Port DMU passenger, Machilipatnam-Gudivada, Bhimavaram-Rajahmundry, Nidadavolu-Bhimavaram, Ongole-Guntur passenger trains.

Vinod Kumar Yadav, General Manager, South Central Railway directed officials of divisions likely to be affected to be prepared to handle any emergency situation.

Helplines were opened at Vijayawada, Guntur and Guntakal station for round-the-clock monitoring of the situation.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

India

Winter Session: Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 pm

Published

on

Parliament

New Delhi, Dec 17: The house was adjourned till 2 p.m. after the members created a ruckus on a range of issues.

Earlier, Amid uproar Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad introduced the Triple Talaq Bill in the house.

Following this, Congress member Shashi Tharoor opposed the bill saying it is targetted at a particular religion and hence unconstitutional.

The bill was brought in as per the direction of the Supreme Court, retorts Prasad and said several women belonging to the Muslim community suffered because of an instant divorce.

Later, again the Lok Sabha was disrupted, prompting the speaker to adjourn the house.

Prior to this, the house was adjourned till 12 p.m. after the opposition created a ruckus on a host of issues.

Soon after the Lok Sabha resumed for the day, AIADMK and the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) members trooped near the Speaker’s podium and started raising slogans.

The AIADMK members took the Cauvery water issue while the TDP sought special status for Andhra Pradesh.

The Congress members were seen sloganeering against the government for misleading the apex court on the Rafale deal.

They were countered by the Bharatiya Janata Party, who demanded an apology from Congress President Rahul Gandhi.

Speaker Sumitra Mahajan requested the agitating leaders to allow the Question Hour to progress but the members continued with their protest.

Amid the din she adjourned the House till 12 p.m.

WeForNews

 

Continue Reading

India

13 miners trapped: Very difficult and complicated situation, says Meghalaya CM

Published

on

Ksan, Dec 17: Flagging concern over the incident where 13 miners were trapped in a mine at Ksan in East Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma on Monday described the situation very difficult and complicated said that the NDRF trying to save them but it looks very difficult.

“Very difficult and complicated situation. NDRF trying to save them but it looks very difficult. No matter how many pumps we put, water force is too much to bring it down to a level where we can enter and save them”, he told ANI.

The CM also said that he spoke to Union Minister Kiren Rijiju regarding the incident and requested him to send more professional help.

“We’re trying really hard but the water level is really high, the day after this incident took place I spoke to Union Minister Kiren Rijiju and requested him to send more professional help”, Sangma asserted.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular