New Delhi, Nov 11: Mala Sinha was a heartthrob of Indian men during the era of sixties. Bollywood queen who ruled the film industry for five decades, is celebrating her 81st birthday today.
She was born on November 11th, 1936. The charm that she had over her fans during that time is incomparable and her fans can still feel that charisma.
She was a phenomenal actress. The twinkle in her eyes used to keep teenagers awake throughout the night. She’s starred in more than a hundred films in Hindi and Bengali besides one in Nepali. Her popular hindi movies include Pyaasa (1957), Anpadh, Dil Tera Deewana (both 1962), Gumrah (1963), Himalaya Ki God Mein (1965), Aankhen (1968), Maryada and Babu.
Those were the days when women used to go to cinema theatres carrying handkerchiefs with them, and used to weep when they saw their favourite heroines enduring hardships on the silver screen. Mala Sinha was one of those heroines.
As the legendary actress has turned a year older, let’s take a look at her some unknown facts:
1. Mala Sinha was born into a Nepalese Christian family and named Alda. During her school days the actress was teased by her friends and was called as Dalda. Frustrated Mala changed her name to Mala.
2. Mala had a beautiful vocal. She sang for All India Radio but never took it as a career in Bollywood.
3. She was of the very few versatile actresses who took the maximum career risks by accepting unconventional roles. Lai Batti, Nausherwan-E-Adil and Phir Subah Hogi are few of her unconventional films.
4. Mala Sinha worked as a child artist in Bengali films Jai Vaishno Devi, Shri Krishan Leela, Jog Biyog and Dhooli. Her major role as an adult was in Bengali film Roshanara in 1952.
5. She was very afraid of her father. She used to come home after shooting in simple traditional attire and used to cook food by herself.
6. Her best performance till date remains her role in Pyaasa. The role was initially offered to the beautiful Madhubala but was later bagged by Mala Sinha, and it was a turning point for her career.
7. Mala Sinha paired up with many newcomers of her era like Manoj Kumar, Dharmendra, Rajesh Khanna, Sunil Dutt, Sanjay Khan, Jeetendra and Amitabh Bachchan. She even got the first credits in many of her films.
8. The king of romance Yash Chopra made his Directorial Debut with the flick ‘Dhool Ka Phool’ and offered Mala the lead role. The flick was a hit and there was no looking back for the lady.
9. Mala Sinha acted in only one Nepali film Maitighar and later married her co-actor Chidambar Prasad Lohani in 1966. They were in a long-distance marriage as Lohani lived in Kathmandu while she worked in Mumbai.
10. Her beautiful daughter, Pratibha, tried her luck as an actress but could not repeat her mother’s success.
11. The actress was nominated several times for the best actress at numerous Award ceremonies, but Mala never won a single Filmfare award throughout her career. But in 2007, Star screen honoured her with the Lifetime Achievement award.
On her special day, we would like to wish her a very happy birthday and thank her for entertaining everyone with her phenomenal acting skills.