Bangladesh Defence Secretary Abdullah Al Mohsin Chowdhury dies of COVID-19 | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Bangladesh Defence Secretary Abdullah Al Mohsin Chowdhury dies of COVID-19 – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Bangladesh Defence Secretary Abdullah Al Mohsin Chowdhury dies of COVID-19

Published

on

Abdullah Al Mohsin Chowdhury

Dhaka, June 29 : Bangladesh Defence Secretary Abdullah Al Mohsin Chowdhury on Monday died at a hospital here due to the novel coronavirus, the government has confirmed.

He was undergoing treatment at the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) in Dhaka, where he was admitted on May 29. He was later shifted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on June 6 and then placed on life support on June 18 as his condition worsened.

According to reports citing Bangladesh Additional Secretary Md Mahmud-ul-Haque, the Defence Secretary suffered a heart attack at 8:45 AM on this day and breathed his last at 9:30 AM.

World

Afghanistan: President Ghani’s cousin has been shot dead in Kabul

A cousin of Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani found shot to death inside his home in Kabul, Afghanistan Media informed.

Published

on

Ashraf Ghani

A cousin of Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani found shot to death inside his home in Kabul: Afghanistan Media

Continue Reading

Disaster

Ex-French PM faces probe into COVID-19 response

Philippe’s future as Prime Minister had been in doubt for several weeks and he will now take up the post of mayor in Le Havre, after winning the local vote on Sunday.

Published

on

Edouard Philippe

Paris, July 4 : A French court has launched an inquiry into the government”s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, focusing mainly on three senior figures, including former Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, following complaints from unions and doctors.

On Friday, Philippe resigned amid a cabinet reshuffle, reports the BBC.

Hours after Philippe”s resignation, it was announced that the Law Court of the Republic, which deals with claims of ministerial misconduct, would open an inquiry into the way his government handled the pandemic.

Along with thilippe, those under investigation include Agnes Buzyn, who stepped down as health minister in February, and her successor Olivier Veran, senior public prosecutor Francois Molin said on Friday.

Philippe’s future as Prime Minister had been in doubt for several weeks and he will now take up the post of mayor in Le Havre, after winning the local vote on Sunday.

His successor, Jean Castex, 55, is little known in France, but he is a senior civil servant and has played a key role in the government”s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, said the BBC report.

On Friday evening, Castex warned in a speech that “the health crisis is, unfortunately, not over” and that “the economic and social crisis is already here”.

France has so far reported 202,673 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 29,875 deaths.

Continue Reading

Disaster

WHO team to reach China next week to probe SARS-CoV-2 source

US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo earlier said that the virus might have originated in a laboratory in China.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Take precautions

New Delhi, July 4 : The World Health Organization is finally sending a team to China next week to prepare to investigate the source of SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the Covid-19 pandemic.

The announcement made earlier this week came amid accusations from some quarters that the virus might have originated in a laboratory in China.

“WHO has been saying that knowing the source of the virus is very, very important. It”s science, it”s public health. We can fight the virus better when we know everything about the virus, including how it started,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a media briefing on June 29.

“We will be sending a team next week to China to prepare for that and we hope that that will lead into understanding how the virus started and what we can do for the future to prepare. So we”re planning to send a team next week,” he said.

US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo earlier said that the virus might have originated in a laboratory in China.

With no evidence being presented to back the speculations, China has denied the allegations.

It has now been more than six months since WHO received the first reports of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause in China.

A novel coronavirus was found out to be the cause of the disease, now known as Covid-19.

So far over 11 million people worldwide have tested positive for the disease which has led to over 5,25,000 deaths, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular