Bangladesh cricketers narrowly escape New Zealand mosque shooting

Christchurch shooting New Zealand
Bangladesh cricket team running back through Hagley Park to the Oval ground after shooting .

New Delhi, March 15: The Bangladesh cricket team had a devastating experience in Christchurch on Friday when shooters fired at a New Zealand mosque. Even though the players were in the vicinity, they are safe.

Bangladesh were all set to play New Zealand in Christchurch in the third Test in the ongoing series and the mosque attack came on the eve of the Test match.

As a result, The New Zealand Cricket Board and Bangladesh Cricket Board decided to cancel the Test match.

The Bangladesh team though is in a state of shock by the turn of events. The players took to social media to inform fans and family of their safety and also asked them to pray for those in the crisis.

An active shooter is at large in Christchurch after attacking the mosque, police said and warned people to avoid the area as all schools and hospitals were put in lockdown.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said 40 people were killed in attacks on two mosques on what she described as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”.

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said the team were unharmed but “mentally shocked”, and had been ordered to stay in the team hotel.

Taking to Twitter, senior batsman Tamim Iqbal said: “Entire team got saved from active shooters!!! Frightening experience and please keep us in your prayers #christchurchMosqueAttack”

Test captain Mushfiqur Rahim tweeted: “Alhamdulillah Allah save us today while shooting in Christchurch in the mosque…we are extremely lucky…never want to see this things happen again….pray for us.”

Radio New Zealand quoted a witness inside the mosque saying he heard shots fired and “there was blood everywhere”.

“Horrified to hear of Christchurch mosque shootings. There is never a justification for that sort of hatred,” said Amy Adams, a member of parliament from Christchurch, as reported by CNBC.

New Zealand Police confirmed the incident, calling it a “serious and evolving situation”. Police Commissioner Mike Bush said in a statement that authorities had taken one person into custody but there could also be others involved.

“This is an evolving incident and we are working to confirm the facts, however, we can confirm there have been a number of fatalities,” Bush said.

WeForNews

Total
1
Shares
Related Posts