Connect with us

Sports

Bad diet was the reason I used to vomit on pitch: Messi

Published

on

Messi

Barcelona, March 20: A change in his diet has helped Argentine FC Barcelona star Lionel Messi not throw up on the pitch during games, the celebrated forward revealed .

“I ate badly for many years: chocolates, fizzy drinks, and everything,” Messi told La Cornisa TV.

“That is what made me throw up during games. Now I look after myself better. I eat fish, meat, salads. Everything is organised and taken care of,” Messi added.

There were concerns over Messi’s state of health and many thought the five-time Ballon d’Or might have an illness, or was suffering from stress.

“I’ve learned to live the way I do, to be myself because at the end of the day it’s easier to do it that way,” the 30-year-old conceded.

“I don’t think too much about how I have to act because of constantly being watched. I’m aware that whenever I speak there are many people that listen, that there are repercussions. I always try to think about what I say in order not to generate controversies.”

Messi also talked about his sons. He welcomed Ciro, his third, earlier this month, but the occasion did not make him emotional.

“The last time I cried for joy was when my son Mateo was born (2015),” Messi said.

“By the time the third one came, I was already used to it!”

Messi added that the birth in 2012 of his first son, Thiago, influenced his life and he could take on-field defeats in a better way.

“The arrival of my first son (Thiago) made me open my mind, not to focus solely on my profession, on football,” he said.

“Of course I don’t like to draw or lose but I take it differently. There are many important things other than a result.

“In the end it’s a game and everyone wants to win, be a champion and be the best. But at times it’s not possible. You can’t always win and not always the best one wins. I learned that when it’s over, there are other things… being with my children, my wife, my family, the rest is secondary.”

IANS

Sports

Serena Williams outlasts Simona Halep in epic battle in Australian Open

Published

on

Serena Williams
Photo Credit- Twitter/AustralianOpen

Melbourne, Jan 21: Serena Williams of the US advanced to the quarterfinals of the Australian Open on Monday after a hard-fought 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Romanian world No 1 Simona Halep.

The 37-year-old shone at the Rod Laver Arena to again demonstrate her remarkable longevity and ability to compete at the game’s highest level, reports Efe news.

“It was an intense match and there were some incredible points,” Williams said on court after the match. “I really needed to elevate my game. She’s the number one player in the world.”

The number 16 seed started strongly, storming into a comfortable lead before taking the first set 6-1 as the number one seed Halep struggled to get a foothold in the match.

After bossing the opening exchanges, Williams let her opponent back into the contest as Halep took the second set 6-4.

The American broke Halep’s serve in the seventh game of the third set to go 4-3 up; she was soon serving for the match at 5-4, sealing the win on the first of two match points.

Williams advances to the last eight of the tournament as she continues her bid to add an eighth Australian Open title to her 23 career Grand Slam wins.

IANS

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tendulkar eagerly waiting for Anil’s Netflix web series ‘Selection: Day Part 2’

Published

on

Tendulkar Selection Day Part 2

Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar engaged in a Twitter conversation with actor Anil Kapoor to announce the second season of “Selection Day”. The official Twitter handle of Netflix then announced that “Selection Day: Part 2” will start streaming from April 22 this year.

The series is a coming-of-age drama about two brothers Radha and Manju who are raised by their strict, obsessive father to be star cricket players in India.

Continue Reading

Sports

Happy to bat at any number: MS Dhoni

Published

on

ms dhoni-wefornews

Melbourne, Jan 18 (IANS) With just a handful of ODIs to be played ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup, the No.4 slot in the Indian batting order is still up for grabs and with former skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni staking a strong claim with a hat-trick of half-centuries against Australia, it will be interesting to see if the team management persists with him in the quadrennial event.

Ask Dhoni, who was on Friday promoted to the No. 4 spot and ended up belting a 114-ball unbeaten 87 to guide India to a maiden 2-1 ODI series win against the Kangaroos in their own backyard, the 37-year-old is “happy to bat at any number”.

“It is not about where you want to bat; I am happy to bat at any number and after playing for 14 years I can’t say that I don’t want to bat at number six and want to bat at four,” said Dhoni, who was adjudged the Man-of-the-Series.

Dhoni’s selfless approach was echoed by none other that his successor Virat Kohli, who said “nobody is more committed to Indian cricket than Dhoni.”

Kohli also heaped praises on middle-order batsman Kedar Jadhav, who despite being benched for the opening two ODIs, grabbed the opportunity with both hands in the final ODI, as the right-hander scored an unbeaten 61 and more importantly forged an 121-run unbeaten stand with Dhoni to see India home by 7 wickets.

“It wasn’t a great wicket to bat on, so we had to take it deep, but they were professional in getting the job done. We were a bit nervous but two set batsmen in knew exactly what they wanted to do. Kedar with bat and ball is always handy. We have been here for a long time,” he said.

Dhoni also praised Jadhav’s efforts saying: “Kedar did a great job in playing unorthodox shots and it is important to hit boundaries.”

Similarly, man-of-the-match Yuzvendra Chahal also made the most of the opportunity, returning 6/42 to restrict the hapless Aussies for a meagre 230 at the MCG.

Commenting on the leg-spinner’s effort, Kohli said: We wanted to get in a good combination. We wanted to give Kuldeep (Yadav) a rest and we don’t want to be too predictable as well. Chahal came in and bowled beautifully. 6/42 was magnificent.”

“It’s been an amazing tour for us. We drew the T20 series, won the Test and the ODI series. If someone gave me these results before the tour I would have taken it with both hands.”

“I am really grateful and proud of the side. It was a collective effort. We are feeling confident and balanced as a side with the World Cup in mind. Few games against New Zealand and few more back home to strengthen the areas that we need to work on as a team,” Kohli added.

Continue Reading

Most Popular