Bangalore, April 20: After a provocative speech by an actor on the Cauvery water dispute, Bahubali director S.S. Rajamouli has appealed to allow the release of the blockbuster film’s sequel in Karnataka.
Actor Sathyaraj is seen urging Tamils purportedly at a demonstration by the Tamil film industry in solidarity with farmers seeking water from Karnataka to stand up for their rights and not be passive like a tree every dog would urinate on.
Pro-Kannada activists have objected to the “dog” reference and vowed not to allow the release of Bahubali 2 until Sathyaraj apologises.
Sathyaraj’s comments and issued an appeal through a video uploaded on his Facebook page to allow the release of the film in Karnataka.
Speaking in Kannada, Rajamouli, said: “Sathyaraj is neither the director nor the producer of the film. He will not suffer any loss if the movie is stopped (in Karnataka).”
“It won’t be fair if so many people are affected for a comment he made,” Rajamouli said. “We have spoken to Sathyaraj and explained the situation. But there’s nothing more we can do. It’s our request that you don’t involve us in an issue we are not connected with in any way.”
“This comment was made nine years ago, after which many of his movies, including Bahubali: The Beginning, was released in Karnataka. We can only request your full support to Bahubali 2,” Rajamouli added.
Last week, Bahubali: The Beginning was re-released as a build-up to the sequel.
The distributors plan to release Bahubali 2: The Conclusion in around 300 theatres in Karnataka, almost 100 more than the first part.