Connect with us
SydneyoperaHouse SydneyoperaHouse

World

Australia’s iconic ‘Sydney Opera House under threat of terror attack’

Published

on

Sydney, April 18: A leading business organisation in Australia warned on Tuesday that the iconic tourism and entertainment precinct, the Sydney Opera House, is under the threat of terrorists, a media report said.

The warning made after a multitude of vehicles were seen driving up the pedestrian strip toward the world-famous landmark, Xinhua news agency reported.

Many were concerned about the potential of an attack like the recent one in London, Nice and elsewhere around the globe if security was not improved.

Speaking to the local media, Patricia Forsythe, executive director at the Sydney Business Chamber said the lack of oversight at the iconic complex was concerning.

She said that a new agency was required to] maintain the safety of all those who use the precinct.

“It is timely that these agencies develop a complete approach to the future development of Circular Quay, which would include security,” Forsythe said.

A resident on the condition of anatomy spoke of an incident that occurred earlier in the year that saw a work van appear out of nowhere and drive down the pedestrian promenade.

“All of a sudden there’s a van coming behind us and there were people everywhere,” the resident said.

“They drove the entire length of the promenade … it was scary.”

 Wefornews Bureau

World

North Korea suspends nuclear, ballistic missile testing

Published

on

North Korean Kim Jong un

Seoul, April 21: North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on Saturday announced the immediate suspension of nuclear and long-range missile tests.

“From April 21, North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles,” Efe quoted Kim as saying.

According to the report, North Korea will also close a nuclear test site in the country’s northern side in a bid to guarantee transparency in suspending nuclear tests.

Having established a nuclear deterrent, North Korea can now turn to overhauling its economy, Kim said.

Pyongyang’s decision comes ahead of Kim’s April 27 summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in the demilitarized zone that divides the two countries.

The last bilateral talks between the leaders of North and South Korea took place 11 years ago.

US President Donald Trump, who accepted Kim’s proposal for a meeting after months that saw the two men trade insults and threats, praised the announcement from Pyongyang.

“North Korea has agreed to suspend all Nuclear Tests and close up a major test site. This is very good news for North Korea and the World — big progress! Look forward to our Summit,” Trump said in a tweet.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

World

DJ Avicii dead at 28

Published

on

Madrid, April 21: World-renowned Swedish DJ and electronic music producer Avicii was found dead in Muscat, Oman, his agent said on Friday. He was 28.

“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” Efe quoted Diana Baron as saying.

“The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time,” Baron said. “No further statements will be given.”

Bergling had struggled with health problems, some caused by excessive drinking and was hospitalized for 11 days in 2012 for treatment of acute pancreatitis.

In early 2016, he announced his temporary retirement from touring, citing a desire to “explore other interests.”

“To me it was something I had to do for my health,” Bergling told The Hollywood Reporter in 2016, adding that he had taken on board “too much negative energy” from the music scene.

Avicii achieved global fame in 2011 with the release of his smash hit “Levels,” which was followed by other chart sensations, such as “Wake Me Up” and “Hey Brother”.

He was known for his collaborations with other artists, including Coldplay, David Guetta, Lenny Kravitz, Robbie Williams and Rita Ora.

In 2014, he teamed up with Carlos Santana, Wyclef Jean and Alexandre Pires on the official FIFA World Cup anthem, “We Will Find a Way”.

IANS

Continue Reading

World

IMF expects India’s role to expand in Indo-Pacific region

Published

on

International Monetary Fund

United Nations, April 21: The International Monetary Fund expects India’s role in the Indo-Pacific region’s development to continue to expand because of its robust growth, but it has to carry out more trade reforms, Ken Kang, the deputy director in IMF’s Asia Pacific Department said on Friday.

“Given our robust growth forecast where we see India’s growth rising from 7.4 per cent in 2017-18 to 7.8 per cent in 2019, we do expect India’s role in the region to continue to expand,” he said at a news conference in Washington.

“That being said, India does have room to expand its export orientation and to reduce further trade and non-trade barriers,” he added.

“The statutory tariff rate in India is relatively high at about 15 per cent, and higher than those in the rest of the region,” he added. “So there is room to do more on trade reform.”

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular