Connect with us


Australian Senate rejects same-sex marriage plebiscite bill



Same sex marraige

Canberra, Aug 9: The Australian Senate on Wednesday rejected a bill for a plebiscite to decide the future of same-sex marriage in the country.

The legislation was introduced by the government but voted down by the Labour opposition, the Greens and Nick Xenophon Team (NXT), who claimed the public vote at more than 120 million Australian dollars ($95 million) was an expensive waste of time.

They called for a free vote in Parliament to decide the issue.

The government earlier this week said if the bill was voted down in the Senate, then a voluntary non-binding postal vote would occur — also at a cost of almost $100 million, ABC reported.

Because a postal vote is not required to pass through the Parliament, it will be going ahead from September, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said.

In voting down the plebiscite bill, Deputy Opposition Leader Tanya Plibersek wondered why the government was content in spending so much money on a non-binding vote, which would still go to Parliament even if the people vote “yes”.

“Is the Prime Minister aware that the 122 million Australian dollars he is wasting on his voluntary, non-binding postal plebiscite could instead fund over 1,800 aged care places or support over 2.7 million bulk-billed (doctor visits)?” Plibersek said.

Turnbull in a response said he was merely following through on his promise taken to the last federal election, which was the plebiscite.

“The government is giving every Australian a say on the issue of marriage, because we promised to do so, and we keep our promises,” Turnbull said.

While the voluntary non-binding postal vote will not require approval from the Parliament, the government has one more hurdle to avoid — same-sex marriage advocates and independent MP Andrew Wilkie have said they would challenge the misuse of public money.

Speaking in Parliament on Wednesday, Wilkie said it was frightening that the government was attempting to “bypass the Parliament and somehow authorise the expenditure of more than 100 million Australian dollars of taxpayer funds”.

“This is a democracy, this is a country governed by the rule of law,” he said.



Car bomb kills 2 in Egypt’s Alexandria




Cairo, March 24: A car bomb killed two people and injured several others in the centre of the Egyptian port city of Alexandria on Saturday, officials said.

The attack unsuccessfully targeted the city’s security chief while he was travelling in a convoy, the Interior Ministry was cited as saying by Efe news.

Egypt is just two days away from its presidential election, that will be held from Monday to Wednesday, in which President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is competing for a second mandate.

An Interior Ministry statement only confirmed the death of one policeman, adding that three others were injured by an explosive device placed under a vehicle parked near the Alexandria Security Directorate headquarters.

On April 9, 2017 two separate bomb attacks targeted Coptic Christian churches in Alexandria and the city of Tanta in the Nile Delta, killing 44 people and wounding 100 others.

The Islamic State terror organization claimed responsibility for both attacks.


Continue Reading


Australia volunteers rescue 5 after mass-stranding of 150 whales



whales, Photo Credit: @DubaiSityNews

Canberra, March 24: Volunteers have helped rescue five of the 150 short-finned pilot whales that were stranded on a beach in Western Australia, authorities said on Saturday.

The whales were freed by authorities at Hamelin Bay, south of Perth, with the help of vets and more than 100 volunteers, reports the Guardian.

The surviving five whales have been moved to deeper waters, but there was still a risk they could return to dry land.

The Parks and Wildlife Service incident controller Jeremy Chick said whales often came back on to the shore after mass-stranding events.

“We ask the public to keep a lookout and if anyone sees a stranded whale to please report it,” he said.

A sixth whale was freed into shallow waters overnight but it beached again and had to be euthanised.

The authorities continued to sweep the surrounding beaches by air and sea on Saturday, the Guardian reported.

The 145 carcasses were being removed and authorities were taking DNA samples to understand why the whales beached.

A fisherman spotted the large number of whales on Friday morning.


Continue Reading


China’s attempt to change status quo may lead to another Doklam: Indian envoy



india china

Beijing, March 24: Any attempt by China to change the status quo along the Indian border may lead to another Doklam-like stand-off, India’s envoy Gautam Bambawale has said, adding that the best way to prevent such incidents is through candid and frank talks.

In an interview to the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post, Bambwale said the un-demarcated border between India and China is “the most serious problem between the two countries” and they need to redefine the boundary soon.

Bambawale said New Delhi will oppose the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) but won’t let the difference over Belt and Road become a dispute with Beijing. He also downplayed the reports of India joining the bloc of the US, Japan and Australia to counter China.

The two militaries were locked in a 73-day stand-off at Doklam in the eastern sector of their border last year. The issue was resolved in August, only after souring the bilateral ties.

“In order to maintain the peace and tranquillity (along India-China border), there are certain areas, certain sectors which are very sensitive, where we must not change the status quo. If anyone changes the status quo, it will lead to a situation like what happened in Doklam,” Bambawale said in the interview published on Saturday.

“The Chinese military changed the status quo in the Doklam area and therefore India reacted to it. Ours was a reaction to the change in the status quo by the Chinese military.

“… when incidents like Doklam happened last year, it meant that we were not frank and candid enough with each other. So we need to increase the level of frankness.

“In the sense that if the Chinese military are going to build a road, they must tell us ‘we are going to build a road’. If we do not agree to it then we can reply that, ‘look, you’re changing the status quo. Please don’t do it. This is a very very sensitive area’,” he said.

On India’s concerns about China’s Belt and Road project, Bambawale said if the initiative meets the norms of an international programme then New Delhi has no problem.

“One of the norms is that the project should not violate the sovereignty and territorial integrity of a country. Unfortunately, there is this thing called the CPEC which violates India’s sovereignty and territory integrity. Therefore, we oppose it.”

The CPEC is the flagship project of China’s Belt and Road project, a network of roads, ports and sea lanes that aims to connect Asia, Africa and Europe. India opposes it as it cuts through Kashmir held by Pakistan, but claimed by it.

“We might have differences of opinion on Belt and Road, but that we must not allow that difference of opinion to become a dispute,” Bambawale said.

Asked about India’s concerns over China making inroads into its neighbourhood, he said New Delhi was not worried about it.

“Let me tell you very clearly that India has its own relationships with all these countries. These are very strong relationships and India is also doing a lot of projects in countries like Maldives, Nepal or Sri Lanka. So, our relationships with these countries are very strong, they are historical, people-to-people contacts.”

“I don’t think we are worried about what China is doing. Those countries are free to have relationships with any third country, including China.”

On the talks of India joining an emerging bloc called Quad, Bambawale sought to allay China’s fears. “I do not see India becoming part of any alliance. Let me also repeat what I have already said to you before.”

“As far as four countries are concerned, let me tell you very clearly that India has never been a part of any alliance. I think countries like India and China are too big to be part of any alliance,” he added.

The envoy said that there are hosts of bilateral meetings lined-up, including the one between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Summit in June.

(Gaurav Sharma is the IANS correspondent in Beijing. He can be contacted at [email protected])

Continue Reading

Most Popular