At anti-CAA protest hub, Congress fields Parvez Hashmi | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs At anti-CAA protest hub, Congress fields Parvez Hashmi – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

At anti-CAA protest hub, Congress fields Parvez Hashmi

Published

on

New Delhi: The Congress has relied on old warhorse, naming party veteran Parvez Hashmi from Okhla constituency, the Muslim-dominated seat which includes Shaheen Bagh, the epicentre of anti-CAA protest in Delhi.

Hashmi had been 4 times MLA from this constituency and had even won the seat after Batla House encounter. He is also a former Rajya Sabha member.

The Congress has nominated Mukesh Sharma from Vikaspuri, Praveen Rana from Bijbasan, Mohinder Chowdhary from Badarpur and Jaiprakash Panwar from Madipur, according to the party’s third list released on Tuesday.

The Congress has announced candidates for 66 seats and has given 4 seats to its ally, the RJD in the national capital.

Earlier on Monday night, the Congress announced Romesh Sabharwal as the candidate against Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal from the New Delhi constituency.

Talking to IANS, Sabharwal said, “I am thankful to Sonia Gandhi and all the members of the Congress election committee who have given chance to the son of a retired government employee. Outsiders used to contest from this seat earlier, but this time a local has got the ticket.”

On January 16, IANS had reported that Sabharwal was the likely Congress candidate against Kejriwal.

Apart from Sabharwal, the Congress has fielded former Deputy Speaker Amrish Gautam, who has rejoined the party from the BJP, from Kondli. Youth leader Rocky Tuseed will contest from Rajinder Nagar, while Bhishm Sharma has been fielded from Ghonda.

S. Rajinder Singh Bamrah will contest from Tilak Nagar, Pramod Yadav from Badarpur and Arbind Singh from Karawal Nagar.

Cities

Police fire to disperse crowd after protesters target riot vehicle

Rioters used stones, sticks and country-made firearms as pro- and anti-CAA demonstrators clashed.

Published

on

By

Jaffrabad CAA Clash

New Delhi, Feb 25 : Police on Tuesday fired in the air after the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protesters pelted stones on police vehicles in northeast Delhi.

The situation in the area remained tense since morning as number of shops were gutted in the fire Monday’s violence.

The firing by the police started after the anti-CAA protesters pelted stones on Vajra riot vehicles.

The police first fired tear gas shells to disperse the heavy crowd protesting near the Jaffrabad metro station.

But when they saw that the situation was going out of control they opened fire in the air.

The police had already made adequate security arrangements in the area following Monday’s violence with the paramilitary and Rapid action Force (RAF).

The police chased the protesters away from the Jaffrabad metro premises.

Around 70-80 rounds of bullets were fired by the police to disperse the heavy crowd.

On Monday, there were reports of violence and arson from the areas as Delhi Police confirmed that seven people, including a police head constable, had died in the rioting that has continued sporadically across several localities since Saturday.

Rioters used stones, sticks and country-made firearms as pro- and anti-CAA demonstrators clashed.

The number of injured persons is also piling up at the GTB hospital in northeast Delhi.

Continue Reading

Cities

Over 15 people sustain bullets wounds in pro- and anti-CAA violence

“we have received a total of 93 injured persons and there are five deaths as of now. Fresh data will be released by tonight.” Said Dr Kalra GTB

Published

on

By

CAA Violence

New Delhi, Feb 25 : Casualties were piling up at Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital amid violent clashes between pro- and anti-CAA protesters in northeast Delhi.

One of the doctors at the hospital who treated the injured told IANS that more than 15 people have sustained bullet injuries.

GTB Hospital has confirmed five deaths till Tuesday. Speaking with IANS, Dr Rajesh Kalra, Additional Medical Superintendent of the hospital said “we have received a total of 93 injured persons and there are five deaths as of now. Fresh data will be released by tonight.”

Dr Kalra also said “mostly they are blunt trauma injuries and firearm injuries. One is a petrol victim also. Most minor injuries but 2 to 3 persons were operated on Monday and few more to be operated today.”

Continue Reading

India

Yusuf Chopan grants bail in Pulwama attack conspiracy case

Published

on

By

CRPF troopers killed in suicide attack in Pulwama

New Delhi, Feb 25 : A Delhi court has granted bail to an accused in the Pulwama attack conspiracy case after the National Investigating Agency (NIA) failed to file the chargesheet within the prescribed period.

Special NIA Judge Parveen Singh, in an order pronounced on February 18, observed that accused Yusuf Chopan is entitled to statutory bail.

The bail was granted after Chopan’s counsel apprised the court that his client is in custody since the last 180 days and the time for filing chargesheet has elapsed.

The accused has been asked to furnish a personal bond of Rs 50,000 with one surety of like amount. Inter alia, he has also been directed to join the investigation as and when called.

He has been directed not to commit any similar offence, tamper with evidence, make any inducement, threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case.

Forty CRPF personnel, travelling in a convoy on the Jammu-Srinagar highway in Pulwama district, were killed on February 14 last year when a suicide bomber rammed a car loaded with explosives into a CRPF bus in Awantipora’s Goripura.

Following the attack, banned terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed claimed responsibility and even released a video of the purported attacker.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular