Mumbai, June 2: Bollywood actor Arbaaz Khan on Saturday accepted that he had placed bets in the IPL matches last year and had lost Rs 2.75 crore, news agency ANI reported citing sources.
My statement has been recorded. Police asked whatever they needed in this investigation and I answered them. I will continue to cooperate with them, Khan told media after giving the statement.
Speaking to media, Abhishek Trimukhe, DCP (Crime) said “Six accused have been arrested in cricket betting racket. Arbaaz Khan’s name came up in the case during interrogation of Sonu Jalan. Arbaaz’s statement has been recorded. Some new names have cropped up, action will be taken against them”.
— ANI (@ANI) June 2, 2018
During his interrogation, the name of Khan cropped up besides some handwritten diary entries and a picture of the producer-actor with Jalan and others allegedly involved in IPL betting.
The 50-year-old actor-director arrived at Thane Anti-Extortion Cell on Saturday morning to record his statement before the police in connection with an alleged IPL betting racket.
He was summoned by Thane Police on Friday for the probe after a bookie Sonu Jalan was arrested and interrogated by the cops.
“The case investigations are going on since the past five-six years and could involve amounts of over Rs 500-600 crore. We want to find out from Arbaaz what was his role in the entire matter,” news agency IANS quoted Police Inspector RajkumarKothmire who is probing the matter, as saying.
The 50-year-old actor-producer’s cropped up during Jalan’s interrogation and recovery of some photographs which include other major film personalities who may be subsequently summoned, Kothmire indicated.
According to him, the entire IPL scam involves some of the biggest bookies operating from Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Jaipur and New Delhi.
Jalan was first arrested around 10 years ago when the IPL betting scam had busted and later investigations proved he was in touch with several world personalities, including Arbaaz.