Connect with us

India

Anil Ambani writes to Rahul on Rafale deal, says party has been misinformed, misled

Published

on

Anil Ambani
ADAG Group chairman Anil Ambani. (File Photo: IANS)

Mumbai, Aug 20 (IANS) Reliance Group Chairman Anil Ambani has written to Congress President Rahul Gandhi saying that the party has been “misinformed, misdirected and misled” by malicious vested interests and corporate rivals on the offsets related to the Rafale fighter jet deal.

A Reliance Infrastructure Ltd release said that Ambani wrote a letter to Gandhi last week and expressed “deep anguish over continued personal attacks” on him while terming all allegations as “baseless, ill-informed and unfortunate.”

Clarifying on the role of Reliance in offset exports/ work share, Ambani wrote that Rafale fighter jets are not being manufactured by Reliance or Dassault Reliance Joint Venture.

Ambani said Gandhi’s allegation that Reliance Defence was set up 10 days before the announcement on April 10 , 2015 of government’s decision to purchase 36 French-manufactured Rafale jets links factually incorrect information “and is thus irrelevant and completely false.”

“The Reliance Group announced its decision to enter the defence manufacturing sector in December 2014-January 2015, months before the intention for purchase of Rafale aircraft. In February 2015, we informed the Indian Stock Exchanges of the companies we have incorporated,” Ambani said.

The release said that all the 36 fighter jets are to be 100 per cent manufactured in France and exported from France to India.

Ambani clarified that not a single component worth a single rupee is to be manufactured by Reliance for these 36 Rafale jets.

“The allegations relating to `lack of experience’ are, thus, irrelevant,” the release said and added that there is no contract from the Defence Ministry to any Reliance Group company related to 36 Rafale aircraft.

Ambani said allegations of Reliance benefitting by thousands of crores was a “figment of imagination, promoted by vested interests” and put simply, “no contract exists with the Government of India “

“Our role is limited to offset exports / export obligations. More than 100 medium, small and micro enterprises (MSMEs) will participate in this along with public sector undertakings like BEL and Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO). This role strengthens Indian manufacturing capabilities and is in pursuance of the Offsets Policy introduced by the Congress-led UPA Government itself from 2005 onwards,” the release said.

Gandhi has been attacking the Modi government, alleging that the deal had caused a loss of Rs 41,000 crore to the exchequer compared to the price negotiated by the Congress-led UPA government. He has also making allegations about the offsets.

The party also said on Saturday that it will launch a month-long nationwide agitation from next week on what it said was “Rafale scam” of the Modi government and other issues.

India

Kerala Rape Case: Sister of complainant nun files plea alleging life threats

Published

on

breaking

New Delhi, Sep 24: Sister of Kerala nun rape case’s victim on Monday filed a petition to the state Director general of police, Kottayam SP, and Kalady circle inspector, stating that she and her family are receiving life threats.

In her plea, She said due to hatred, brothers of rape accused Franco Mulakkal filed fake complaints against me.

“Thomas Chittuparamban, a relative of Franco threatened to cause danger to my son & brother. One of his relative named Unni took a photo of me protesting and later threatened me, she alleged.

Earlier in a day, the magisterial court sentenced two weeks judicial custody to former Bishop Franco Mulakkal, who was arrested on charges of raping a nun.

Mulakkal, who headed the Roman Catholic Diocese in Jalandhar, has refuted the charges of sexual misconduct.

A 44-year-old Kerala based Nun has alleged that she was raped several times between 2014 to 2016.

Later, she filed an FIR against the bishop on June 27 this year.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

India

Rs 5,000 crore bank fraud: Nitin Sandesara fled to Nigeria with family?

Published

on

CBI

New Delhi, Sep 24: After reports emerged Nitin Jayantilal Sandesara is in Nigeria, the Central Bureau of Investigation on Monday said it has input on fugitive’s whereabouts from UAE or Nigeria.

Sandesara is a director of a Gujarat-based pharmaceutical firm Sterling Biotech, which is being probed in a Rs 5,000 crore bank fraud case.

Earlier in a day, several sections of media reported that Sandesara may have fled to Nigeria. While, last month it was that he has been arrested from Dubai.

In June this year,  after taking cognisance of CBI FIR, the Enforcement Directorate had attached properties worth Rs 4,700 crore in a Rs 5,000-crore bank fraud case involving Gujarat-based pharma company.

The Central Bureau of Investigation has booked Sterling Biotech, its directors Chetan Jayantilal Sandesara, Dipti Chetan Sandesara, Rajbhushan Omprakash Dixit, Nitin Jayantilal Sandesara and Vilas Joshi, Chartered Accountant Hemant Hathi, Anup Prakash Garg and some unidentified persons over the alleged bank fraud.

According to CBI FIR, Sterling Biotech had taken loans of over Rs 5,000 crore from a consortium of banks led by Andhra Bank which had turned into non-performing assets. Total pending dues of the group companies were Rs 5,383 crore as on December 31, 2016.

In connection with alleged  Gujarat’s Sandesara Group Scam, the ED arrested a Delhi-based businessman Gagan Dhawan in November 2017 and  former director of Andhra Bank, Anup Prakash Garg so far.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

India

Delhi HC bans slaughter in Ghazipur Murga Mandi

Published

on

cow slaughter-wefornews-min

New Delhi, Sep 24 In an interim direction, the Delhi High Court on Monday banned the slaughter of poultry at the Ghazipur Murga Mandi here till further orders.

A bench of Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice V. Kameswar Rao, however, allowed sale of live chicken at the market and listed the matter for further hearing on October 29.

The court asked the authorities to file an affidavit indicating a plan to set up a designated slaughter house in the area.

The order came on a report filed by the Delhi Pollution Control Board which has raised violation of animal welfare laws at the Mandi and sought its closure.

The court turned down the plea.

“We are concerned with the larger issue of pollution in the area,” the judges said.

The court was hearing a plea filed by animal rights activist Gauri Maulekhi, who alleged that there was indiscriminate violation of animal rights and blatant abuse of animal welfare laws at the Mandi.

Maulekhi said the poultry were openly slaughtered in the Ghazipur market without obtaining any licence.

The petitioner requested the court to direct the Commissioner of the Food Safety Department to stop illegal slaughter of poultry in the national capital and that all such slaughter should be done in compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) Licence and Registration Regulation.

The counsel also sought a committee for weekly inspections at the Mandi to ensure that there was no violation of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular