Connect with us

India

Amit Shah asks Congress to clear stand on Assam NRC list

BJP chief Amit Shah said that the saffron party is in favour of similar citizens’ register for Delhi and West Bengal.While asking Congress and other parties to clear their stand on National Citizens’ Register.

Published

on

amit shah

Lucknow, Aug 5 : Asserting that the people of Uttar Pradesh want illegal migrants out, BJP chief Amit Shah said that the saffron party is in favour of similar citizens’ register for Delhi and West Bengal while asking Congress and other parties to clear their stand on Assam National Citizens’ Register.

Lending support to calls for a citizens’ register from the party’s Delhi and Bengal chief, Amit Shah said, “I would like to ask SP, BSP and Congress to clear their stand on whether they want illegal Bangladeshi immigrants to stay here or evict them”.

During the renaming ceremony of  Mughalsarai station, Amit Shah said “Complying with Supreme Court orders we brought NRC. The NRC is a way to evict illegal Bangladeshi immigrants from Assam.”

“NRC is for taking out Bangladeshis from Assam. Mamata says NRC should not happen, Congress says the same. I ask Rahul Gandhi — should NRC happen or not? He does not reply,” Amit Shah said.

“Should Bangladeshis be taken away or not? I want to ask Congress — decide whether you want to keep the intruders here or not,” he added.

 Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee has accused the BJP of targeting Muslims of the state in the name of illegal migrants. She also warned that if the centre does not go for an urgent course-correction, there will be “civil war and bloodbath”.

 Amit Shah had been countering her allegations, contending that the Trinamool chief was playing votebank politics.

The BJP has been facing relentless opposition attacks since the draft list of the National Citizens’ Register was found to have excluded 40 lakh people.

 

India

Himachal avalanche: 5 soldiers still missing, rescue underway

Published

on

Avalanche
Avalanche, Representative Image, PC Zee News

Shimla, Feb 21: Despite inclement weather, rescuers on Thursday resumed a search operation near the Tibet border with Himachal Pradesh where a snow avalanche claimed life of a soldier and five went missing.

As the rescue operations entered the second day, the authorities suspected that the soldiers might be trapped in the snow pile spread over a 200 square metre area.

“This morning the search operation began despite intermittent snowfall,” a government official told news agency IANS.

The calamity triggered yesterday when the glacier near Namgia Dogri, burying six jawans of the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles while 16 of them were on a routine patrol.

Five Indo-Tibetan Border Force (ITBP) soldiers were also wounded in the mishappening.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

India

Fresh snowfall, landslides shut Jammu-Srinagar highway

Published

on

jammu srinagar highway
ANI File Photo

Jammu, Feb 21: Fresh snowfall in the Bannihal sector and multiple landslides in the Ramsoo-Ramban sector blocked the Jammu-Srinagar highway, prompting halt of all traffic on Thursday on the strategic route.

“Over a foot of fresh snow has accumulated on the highway in Bannihal sector. There have been multiple landslides triggered by heavy rain at places in the Ramsoo-Ramban sector, as well,” a traffic department official said.

It is raining heavily along the 300-km stretch at various places both in the Kashmir Valley and the Jammu division.

“No vehicular traffic will be allowed on the highway today. Snow and landslide clearance operation will be started immediately after the weather improves,” the Traffic Department said.

The official said stranded vehicles along the highway were all parked at safe places.

The highway is regarded as the jugular vein of the landlocked valley as all essential supplies are routed to Kashmir through this road. Each time the highway gets blocked, shortages of essential supplies hit the valley.

From February 6 to 12 the highway had remained shut causing acute crisis in the valley.

IANS

Continue Reading

India

Pulwama fallout: Security of 18 separatists, 155 politicians in J&K withdrawn

Published

on

Jammu kashmir Mirwaiz Umer Farooq
The security cover of four senior separatist leaders -- Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Shah, Professor Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone were already withdrawn on Monday. (Photo Credit- Reuters)

Jammu, Feb 21: The Jammu and Kashmir administration on Wednesday withdrew security of 18 separatists and 155 political persons in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack on February 14 in which over 40 CRPF troopers were killed.

An order issued by the Home Department late on Wednesday said security cover of separatists and some mainstream politicians was also being withdrawn/downgraded apart from those that were initially withdrawn on February 18.

As per the new order, the new list includes names from the National Conference, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress.

Some of them are Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik, former IAS officer Shah Faesal and PDP leader Waheed Para.

“Over 1,000 personal security guards and 100 vehicles provided to the secured persons are being withdrawn,” officials said here.

The security cover of four senior separatist leaders — Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Shah, Professor Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone were already withdrawn on Monday.

The decision to cut down heavily on separatist leaders’ cover was taken in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack when an explosive-packed SUV rammed into a bus of a Central Reserve Police Force convoy on the Jammu-Srinagar highway killing 40 paramilitary troopers on the spot in the worst-ever terror attack in the state since militancy struck there in 1989.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular