New Delhi, Sep 15, 2016: In a major failure of central government, The Indian Air Force said on Thursday that the 29 people on board the AN-32 plane that went missing over the Bay of Bengal on July 22 have been “presumed dead” and their families informed.
However, Officials from both IAF and Navy said that the search operations have not been called off yet. “Search for missing AN32 is still in progress.
The AN-32, which was going to Port Blair from Chennai, had on board six crew members, 15 personnel from the IAF, army, navy and Coast Guard, and eight civilians who were family members of the personnel.
In one of its largest search and rescue operations in recent years, India deployed ships, planes and a submarine to trace the missing aircraft. The initial search ops were also hampered by rough weather over the Bay of Bengal.
The Air Force has 101 of the AN-32s that entered service in 1984 and have gone through mid-life upgrades and life extensions since then.
This break down of government is a biggest example of its failure.