Afghan government resumes offensive against Taliban 

Ashraf Ghani

Kabul, June 30: Rejecting claims that government was planning to hand over areas to the Taliban, Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani announced that the security forces would resume operations against the Taliban after the government’s ceasefire, which began on June 12, ended on Saturday.

Speaking at a press conference at the Presidential Palace in Kabul, Ghani said: “The ceasefire has ended, our security and defense forces are allowed to carry out operations”.

Ghani also emphasized that government was working hard to achieve peace but that it had no plans to hand over territory to the Taliban.

He added that the government would develop a political process along with security operations in order to back a peace agreement.He made it clear that all Afghans want peace and that there is consensus, across the board, on this issue.

Ghani had already made an offer of dialogue in February without success, and implemented a ceasefire in June, which was unprecedented in the 17 years of conflict.

“The nation showed that they are ready for reconciliation and this is the biggest achievement,” Ghani said, after the truce led to fighters from both sides visiting each other’s territory.

He also stated that many Taliban members are tired of the war and want peace and that in turn the nation showed that it is ready for reconciliation.

Total
1
Shares
Related Posts