Adviser runs out after UK PM tests COVID-19 positive | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Adviser runs out after UK PM tests COVID-19 positive – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Adviser runs out after UK PM tests COVID-19 positive

Published

on

Boris Johnson

London, March 28 (IANS) Dominic Cummings, a senior adviser to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, was seen running out of Downing Street after the latter announced that he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, it was reported.

In a clip widely shared on social media, Cummings was seen running out of the back gate of Downing Street carrying a bag, the London-based Metro newspaper said in a report on Friday.

The camera zooms in on Cummings’ face as he looks away from the press and then makes a swift exit clutching the bag.

Cummings, seen as the Prime Minister’s key aide, was reported to have been behind the government’s initial strategy of “herd immunity”, to deal with the pandemic, the report further said.

On Friday, Prime Minister Johnson announced that he tested positive for the novel coronavirus but would continue to discharge his duties from self-isolation.

He became the second high-profile British leader to test positive for coronavirus in recent days after Prince Charles, the heir to the the throne.

Some ministers in the Johnson government and MPs have also tested positive for COVID-19, including Health Secretary Matt Hancock whose announcement came shortly after the Prime Minister’s.The UK has so far reported 14,751 confirmed coronavirus cases with 761 deaths.

Disaster

US patient receives $840,000 bill for COVID-19 treatment

“It’s scary. I don’t care how much you have covered. It’s scary to see that kind of number and not really know.”

Published

on

US Dollar

Washington, May 31 : A high school teacher from the US state of Colorado was shocked to receive a medical bill of $840,000 for his treatment for COVID-19, local media reported.

The bill received by Robert Dennis, a Centennial High School teacher, covered Dennis’ time at Denver’s Sky Ridge hospital, where he was put on a ventilator in the intensive care unit for two weeks, reports Xinhua news agency.

However, what was not included was Dennis’ three weeks at Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital, or his wife’s trips to the emergency room when she was also fighting the virus.

The couple estimated that their total bills would top $1.5 million.

The couple had insurance and they planned to call to make sure that they were covered.

“Seeing that number yesterday for the first bill, it took your breath away again,” the wife said.

“It’s scary. I don’t care how much you have covered. It’s scary to see that kind of number and not really know.”

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque reopens after 2 months

The Al-Aqsa mosque is part of the Temple Mount/Haram al-Sharif compound, which is one of Islam’s holiest sites and the holiest site in Judaism.

Published

on

Masjid Al Aqsa

Jerusalem, May 31 : After remaining closed for two months due to the coronavirus pandemic, the compound of the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, which is the third-holiest site in Islam after Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia, started welcoming worshippers from Sunday again.

Hundreds of people, many of whom wore protective masks, chanted “god is great” as they stood at the mosque’s wooden doors, while some kissed the ground, reports the BBC.

They were then greeted by mosque director Omar al-Kiswani, who thanked them for being patient.

The compound also houses the Dome of the Rock.

Prayers will be held in the open in marked sections, each holding up to 50 people, reports The Times of Israel.

The Al-Aqsa mosque is part of the Temple Mount/Haram al-Sharif compound, which is one of Islam’s holiest sites and the holiest site in Judaism.

The site is a source of religious and political tension between Israelis and Palestinians and a frequent flashpoint for violence.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kendrick Sampson hit by rubber bullet at Los Angeles protest

In one video, LAPD officers can be seen firing rubber bullets to try and regain control at Pan Pacific Park.

Published

on

KENDRICK SAMPSON

Los Angeles, May 31 : “Insecure” actor Kendrick Sampson says he was hit by rubber bullets and even a police officer’s baton while protesting in California.

The “Vampire Diaries” star took to Instagram to show videos from marches in the Los Angeles area, reports usatoday.com.

“They’re gonna arrest all of us,” Sampson said in one video clip, adding: “Just to let y’all know, they’re telling us to disburse, but they boxed us in.”

The protests stemmed from the death of George Floyd, who died after a Minneapolis police officer placed his knee on Floyd’s neck for several minutes.

In one video, LAPD officers can be seen firing rubber bullets to try and regain control at Pan Pacific Park.

“They shot me four times already. I already got hurt and I got hit with a baton,” Sampson said on Instagram.

Another video showed the actor backing away from the police, as he appeared to be hit by an officer’s baton, reports deadline.com.

aceY’all ain’t see no police f***ing up white folks when they took guns to the statehouse,” he said, while referring to an incident in Michigan over coronavirus restrictions, not in California.

“Ya all didn’t see police attacking white folks, beating em up with batons, shooting them with rubber bullets when they brought guns to f***ing state houses. We came up here with no weapons, with masks.a And we’re the ones who are not peaceful,” he added.

The actor also tagged “Black lives matter supporters”, and tweeted for elected officials to “defund police”, citing brutality in multiple cities across the US.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular