7 Indians nabbed in SL for overstaying | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs 7 Indians nabbed in SL for overstaying – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

7 Indians nabbed in SL for overstaying

Published

on

US Visa

Colombo: Sri Lankan immigration officials nabbed seven Indians who were working as labourers for overstaying after their visas had expired, a media report on Monday.

The arrests took place last week when officials from the Department of Immigration and Emigration launched a raid at a construction site in Wattala, the Daily Mirror newspaper said in the report.

According to Immigration sources, the Indian nationals reportedly arrived in Sri Lanka on a 30-day business visa and had engaged in employment violating its conditions and also overstayed the designated visa period.

They were taken into Immigration custody and were to be transferred to its detention centre in Mirihana. Their passports were seized by the authorities.

Preliminary inquiries revealed that the seven men had arrived in the country from Southern India state, having applied for their visas online.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

thirteen + nine =

India

EU moves resolutions against India over CAA, Kashmir

Out of 751 members of the European Union Parliament, 626 have moved six resolutions on both the issues.

Published

on

Modi and Amit Shah

New Delhi, Jan 26: After Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan’s relentless global campaign against India over the Citizenship Amendment Act and reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir, the European Union (EU) parliament has decided to pressurize New Delhi.

Out of 751 members of the EU Parliament, 626 have moved six resolutions on both the issues. The diplomatic offensive by the EU against India comes ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Brussels for the India-EU summit in March.

Sources in the Ministry of External Affairs here said the government took note of the EU move immediately and will withstand the EU pressure by reminding its members that the CAA is “an internal matter” of India.

“Moreover, this legislation has been adopted by due process and through democratic means after a public debate in both Houses of Parliament,” a source said.

The government, sources said, is going to argue that every society takes into consideration a context and criteria to formulate its own process for naturalisation. European countries have themselves followed the same approach, an official pointed out. “This is not discrimination,” he added.

Sources said that New Delhi is hoping that the sponsors and supporters of the draft in EU will engage with it to get a full and accurate assessment of the facts before they proceed further. “As fellow democracies, the EU Parliament should not take actions that call into question the rights and authority of democratically elected legislatures in other regions of the world,” a senior official said.

Interestingly, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is in the midst of completing Brexit from the EU, has been reaching out to India for strengthening trade and bilateral relationship ties. The EU-UK ties have soured since the Brexit vote.

Continue Reading

Health

China begins developing vaccine as coronavirus toll reaches 56

The National Health Commission said the disease has infected a total of 1,975 people so far. In its latest report, the Commission said 15 deaths and 688 new cases were reported on Saturday.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus

Beijing, Jan 26 : China has started developing a vaccine against the rapidly-spreading deadly novel coronavirus strain that has claimed 56 lives and infected nearly 2,000 people in the country.

Xu Wenbo, a scientist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said on Sunday that scientists had successfully isolated the first strain of the virus, Efe news agency quoted the official newspaper People’s Daily as saying.

The news comes after Chinese President Xi Jinping, following a meeting on Saturday, warned that the spread of the deadly illness was accelerating amid a fast-rising death toll.

Shanghai, one of the biggest cities in China, reported its first death due to the pandemic that has triggered panic across the country with authorities scrambling to stop its further outbreak.

The National Health Commission said the disease has infected a total of 1,975 people so far. In its latest report, the Commission said 15 deaths and 688 new cases were reported on Saturday.

Some 324 patients were said to be serious, while 49 have been discharged from hospitals after recovery.

Hubei, the province where the disease was first reported in its capital Wuhan, reported 52 deaths. One person each has died in Hebei (around Beijing), Heilongjiang (northeast), Henan (centre-east) and Shanghai (east).

Health authorities have carried out checkups on nearly 23,500 people who have come into close contact with infected persons. Out of these, over 21,500 continue to be monitored for symptoms.

At least 25 of China’s 34 provincial divisions have been put on the highest-level health alert.

The southeastern city of Shantou has been partially closed down and interstate bus services in the cities of Beijing, Tianjin, Xian, and the Shandong province suspended.

Passengers at Beijing’s 55 metro stations, including those linked to railway stations and the international airport, will be subjected to temperature screening to detect potential suspect cases.

Those with abnormal body temperatures would be hospitalized, according to state-run news agency Xinhua.

Cleaning and disinfection efforts have begun in metro and bus terminals in Beijing, where at least 51 cases of the so-called “Wuhan pneumonia” have been reported, official daily Global Times said.

Hubei province and other major cities were locked down earlier.

Shanghai has also announced the suspension of the train service that connects the city center with the Anting suburb, bordering Jiangsu province.

The prevention efforts include a large-scale purchase of face masks, as the respiratory system is believed to be the primary method of the virus’ transmission.

Global Times said that 3.16 million face masks were shipped on Sunday to Wuhan.

Authorities have urged people who have recently visited Wuhan to stay inside their houses for 14 days and immediately contact health centres if they develop symptoms associated with the virus.

The disease has already spread to a dozen other countries with Canada confirming its first case on Saturday after a patient in Ontario tested positive. The man was said to have travelled from China recently.

Besides Canada, the cases reported outside China were six in Hong Kong; five each in Thailand and Macao; four in Australia; three each in South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Nepal and France; two each in Japan, the US and Vietnam.

Four Chinese nationals have been hospitalised in Pakistan for showing symptoms of the disease, but the country’s health authorities have clarified that there were no confirmed cases of coronavirus as yet.

The World Health Organization has decided not to declare an international health emergency due to strict measures carried out in China that include complete suspension of transport and cancelation of Chinese New Year celebrations.

The symptoms of the new coronavirus, provisionally designated by the WHO as 2019-nCoV, are similar to those of cold but may be accompanied by fever and fatigue, dry cough and dyspnea (shortness of breath).

Continue Reading

Middle East

Israeli air force strikes multiple targets in Gaza in response to ‘explosive balloons’

Published

on

By

breaking

Israel has carried out a series of airstrikes against Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip, in retaliation for multiple explosive and incendiary balloons launched from the enclave over the past few weeks.

The targets included an alleged “weapons production site and a military compound,” the IAF said amid reports of explosions in the central Gaza Strip, as well as near Khan Younis in the south.

There were no immediate reports of casualties.

Earlier on Saturday, a rocket propelled grenade attached to several balloons was found in the Negev Desert some 70 kilometers from the Hamas-controlled Palestinian enclave, according to Israeli media.

Israel Defense Forces vowed to “continue operating against attempts to harm Israeli civilians.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular