Nay Pyi Taw, Dec 14: International humanitarian non profit Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) on Thursday announced that at least 6,700 Rohingya were died after violence broke out in Myanmar’s Rakhine state late August.
On the basis of surveys in Bangladesh, the score is much higher than Myanmar’s official figure of 400, news agency IANS quoted citing the BBC report.
“In the most conservative estimations” at least 6,700 of those deaths have been caused by violence, including at least 730 children under the age of five, MSF asserted in a reports.
MSF which is also known as Doctors Without Borders, stated it was “the clearest indication yet of the widespread violence” by Myanmar authorities.
“What we uncovered was staggering, both in terms of the numbers of people who reported a family member died as a result of violence, and the horrific ways in which they said they were killed or severely injured,” MSF Medical Director Sidney Wong stated.
Among the deceased kids below the age of five, MSF said over 59 per cent were reportedly shot, 15 per cent burnt to death, 7 per cent beaten to death and 2 per cent killed by landmine blasts.
More than 647,000 Rohingya have fled into Bangladesh after military crackdown began on August 25 following Rohingya Arsa militants attack on more than 30 police posts, news agency IANS quoted citing the BBC reported.
After an internal probe, the Myanmar Army last month exonerated itself of any blame regarding the crisis.
It refused killing any civilians, burning their villages, raping women and girls, and stealing possessions.
The Muslim-majority community are denied citizenship by Myanmar, where they are identified as immigrants from Bangladesh. The authorities does not use the term Rohingya but calls them Bengali Muslims.
“The numbers of deaths are likely to be an underestimation as we have not surveyed all refugee settlements in Bangladesh and because the surveys don’t account for the families who never made it out of Myanmar,” Wong further added.