Kabul, Oct 19: At least 43 soldiers lost their lives and nine wounded in a coordinated attack by the Taliban on a military base in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province on Thursday.
Defence Ministry spokesperson Muhammad Radmanish told Efe news, that a suicide bomber detonated explosives in a vehicle at the military base in Maiwand district. This was followed by armed clashes with the troops stationed in the camp
When attack took place. there were 60 soldiers in the base, out of which 43 were killed, nine were wounded and six were missing.
According to the reports the Army had regained control of the base.
Taliban spokesperson Yusuf Ahmadi claimed responsibility for the attack but said 60 Afghan soldiers had been killed and five armoured vehicles destroyed.
This was the third deadly attack against the Afghan forces this week.
The attack occurred days after Taliban attacked eastern Paktia and neighbouring Ghazni provinces, in which 70 people were reportedly killed and over 170 others were injured.