Connect with us

World

35 die in Baghdad car bomb explosion

Published

on

bhagdad

Baghdad, Jan 2:  Around 35 people were killed and 61 wounded in a car bomb explosion in eastern Baghdad on Monday, the media reported.

The explosion took place when a booby trapped car detonated in a Shia neighbourhood of Sadr city, Xinhua news agency quoted an Interior Ministry source as saying.
The blast destroyed several shops nearby and many stalls at an outdoor market and set fire to several vehicles.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. But the Islamic State group in most cases is believed responsible for bombings targeting Iraqi security forces as well as crowded areas.

The attack took place shortly after the arrival of French President Francois Hollande, who was in Baghdad for meetings with Iraqi officials and would be visiting French troops in the north of the country.

A major offensive was initiated by Iraqi security forces, backed by an international coalition, to drive out the IS militants from its last major stronghold in and around Mosul.

Many blame the current chronic instability, cycle of violence and the emergence of extremist groups such as the IS on the US, which invaded and occupied Iraq in March 2003.

#Bhagdad #Xinhua #US #Iraq #islamicState
Wefornews Bureau

 

World

Lebanon to hold first parliamentary elections in 9 years

Published

on

Lebanese flag
Lebanese flag

Beirut, Dec 16: Lebanon is to hold its first parliamentary elections in nine years on May 6 next year, the media reported.

Citing Lebanese news agency NNA, Efe news reported on Friday that Interior Minister Nohad Machnouk signed the decree, which still requires approval from the government.

Under the provisional schedule, members of the Lebanese diaspora – who are being allowed to vote for the first time – will cast their ballots during the period April 22-27, according to NNA.

Parliamentary elections have been postponed repeatedly due to political instability.

Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil said late last month that 92,810 candidates would take part in the next elections, but he didn’t mention a date.

The setting of a date for the ballot comes after Prime Minister Saad Hariri suspended the resignation he had announced in Riyadh.

IANS

Continue Reading

World

N.Korea threatens to be ‘most powerful nuclear, military state’

Published

on

North-Korea
File Photo

United Nations, Dec 16: In a challenge to the global order, North Korea has issued a threat that it will become “world’s most powerful nuclear and military state”.

Pyongyang’s assertion of ambitions to global supremacy came on Friday after Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned the Security Council, “The situation on the Korean Peninsula is the most tense and dangerous peace and security issue in the world today.”

Pyongyang “will march forward and make great advancement victoriously as world’s most powerful nuclear and military state upholding the line on simultaneous development of the Two Fronts,” North Korea’s Permanent Representative Ja Song-nam told the Security Council during a session on the threat from his country’s nuclear and missile programmes.

The mention of “Two Fronts” is a reference to North Korea’s theory of simultaneously developing its military capabilities, as well as its economy, which are both vulnerable to international sanctions.

With the characteristic bombast of his country’s rhetoric, Ja dismissed the Council as “tool” of the US, which he said is “terrified by the incredible might of our republic”.

He described the latest North Korean intercontinental ballistic missile test on November 29 as the “Great November Event” leading to “completing the state nuclear force” and “building a rocket power”.

That missile, said to be capable of hitting targets anywhere in the US, landed off Japan’s coast within its economic exclusive zone in its test flight.

While claiming to be marching towards becoming the world’s most powerful military and nuclear state, Ja also asserted that Pyongyang “would not pose any threat to any country and region” as long as its interests were not threatened.

He asserted that his country could “fully guarantee” that there had been no “illegal transfer of nuclear weapons, its technology and weapon-grade nuclear materials”.

He was, however, significantly silent about missile technology proliferation.

Pakistan has received missile technology from North Korea in exchange for nuclear technology in deals going back to the 1990s, which have been confirmed by US officials and documented by the US and international media.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who spoke before Ja reiterated Washington’s warning that “all options are on the table” to contain North Korea’s nuclear threat while offering to keep the lines of communication with Pyongyang open.

“The US will use all measures necessary to defend itself,” Tillerson said. But he added, “We will meanwhile keep our channels of communication open.”

Later speaking to reporters, Tillerson said that Washington would not accept any preconditions for talks with Pyongyang.

Referring to proposals by China and Russia for the US and South Korea to stop joint military activities in return for North Korea ceasing nuclear and missile activities, he said: “We do not accept a ‘freeze-for-freeze’ as a precondition to talks.”

He added, “We do not accept any relaxing of the sanctions regime as a precondition of talks. We do not accept a resumption of humanitarian assistance as a precondition of talks.”

IANS

Continue Reading

World

I have your back 100 per cent, Donald Trump tells FBI

Published

on

Washington, Dec 16: US President Donald Trump has said he supports the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) “100 per cent”, less than an hour after criticising the agency.

During a speech at the FBI National Academy’s graduation in Virginia, Trump heaped praise on the agency, saying it was full of “great people”, BBC reported on Friday.

His visit comes only days after he described the agency as “in tatters” and “the worst in history”.

Before travelling to the FBI campus on Friday, Trump said people were “very angry” with the agency’s actions.

“The president of the United States has your back 100 per cent,” he said later at the graduation ceremony in Quantico, Virginia.

“By the way, you are great people,” he added. “I’d say like 90 per cent are great, right? The other 10 per cent, that’s not working out so well.”

Earlier this month, Trump lambasted the agency and its former director, James Comey, whom he fired in May.

On his way to Quantico on Friday morning, Trump struck a different tone, telling reporters that “its a shame what’s happened with the FBI”.

He appeared to refer to recent reports that two FBI agents had privately exchanged text messages during the 2016 election, which included disparaging remarks about then-candidate Trump.

Republicans have claimed that the text exchange proves an anti-Trump bias in the special investigation being led by former FBI director Robert Mueller, who is examining possible campaign collusion with Russia and meddling in the US election process.

Trump denies that his team colluded with Russia to get him elected.

The two agents also reportedly insulted Democrats Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, as well as other prominent political figures, according to the contents of the text messages released to US Congress and obtained by US media.

FBI regulations state that agents are permitted to express opinions “as an individual privately and publicly on political subjects and candidates”.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular