New Delhi, Aug 4: In the last three years around 333 persons killed in 206 train derailment accidents, according to government data showed in the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
As per the data, country witnessed 135 train accidents in 2014-15, the number struck at 107 in 2015-16 and 104 in 2016-17.
“The number of casualties in train accidents is essentially fortuitous and not strictly susceptible to comparison. The reason for the loss of lives is primarily on account of six major passenger train derailments in the past three financial years in 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17,” Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu told the Rajya Sabha on fifteenth day of Parliament monsoon session in reply to a question.
Among total of 206 train derailments, two were deadly accidents. One was of Indore-Rajendra Nagar Terminal which took on November 20 last year and another was of Jagdalpur-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand Express, occurredon January 21, 2017.
Both of the accidents are under NIA scanner.
The Minister said that to minimise the killings in train accidents, modern technologies are being adopted and continuous efforts are being made “because of which number of consequential train accidents have continuously declined.”
He said some decisions have been taken to prevent derailments such as the move to only manufacture Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) coaches from the financial year 2018-19.
“LHB coaches are of a superior design that reduce the chances of derailment and mitigate the possibility of grievous injury or death in case of accidents. These coaches have superior body-bogie and wheel-bogie connections, anti-climbing features, tight lock coupling, provision of bump stop, superior braking, lesser chances of destabilization and tilting of the coach etc in case of accidents,” Prabhu asserted in the reply.
Prabhu told RS that allocation for revamping the tracks has been “almost doubled from the last five years’ average of Rs 5,548.6 crore to Rs 9,961 crore in the Budget estimate of 2017-18.”