28 people killed, 61 hurt in Ankara bombing | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs 28 people killed, 61 hurt in Ankara bombing – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

28 people killed, 61 hurt in Ankara bombing

Published

on

At least 28 people were killed and 61 others wounded in a car bomb attack targeting the Turkish military in Ankara on Wednesday, Turkey’s deputy prime minister and government spokesperson said.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulus, the government has so far no information on who carried out the attack, media reported.

Ankara Governor Mehmet Kiliclar said the authorities believe that the explosion was caused by a “bomb-laden vehicle”.

The bomb targeted the housings in Ankara where shuttles for military personnel were awaiting, according to the Turkish military, triggering two explosions near a military compound of the headquarters of the General Staff of the Turkish Armed Forces, media reported.

News footage showed a large plume of smoke rising into the sky at the explosion site. The area is also near the Turkish parliament in central Ankara.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said they are looking into details of the explosion, while the parliament spokesperson Omer Celik referred to the blast as a “terror attack”.

The government has banned domestic reporting of the incident.

Health

Queen Elizabeth II tells UK ‘we will succeed’ in fight against COVID-19

The message was filmed by a single cameraman wearing protective equipment, with all the other technical staff in another room.

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth

London, April 6 : As the UK reels under the coronavirus scourge with the national toll nearing 5,000 and total cases almost at 50,000, Queen Elizabeth II on Sunday made a special address to the nation – the fifth of her nearly seven-decade-long reign — to rally the people.

The Queen said the UK “will succeed” in its fight against the coronavirus pandemic, thanked people for following government rules to stay at home and praised those “coming together to help others”, the BBC reported.

She also thanked key workers, saying “every hour” of work “brings us closer to a return to more normal times”.

“While we have faced challenges before, this one is different,” the Queen said.

“This time we join with all nations across the globe in a common endeavour, using the great advances of science and our instinctive compassion to heal. We will succeed – and that success will belong to every one of us.

“We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.”

The Queen, 93, also said the “painful sense of separation from their loved ones” that social distancing was causing for people reminded her of the experience child evacuees had during the Second World War.

“Now, as then, we know, deep down, that it is the right thing to do,” she said.

The monarch said everyone who was following guidance to stay at home was “helping to protect the vulnerable and sparing many families the pain already felt by those who have lost loved ones”.

“Together we are tackling this disease, and I want to reassure you that if we remain united and resolute, then we will overcome it,” she added.

The message was filmed by a single cameraman wearing protective equipment, with all the other technical staff in another room.

While the Queen makes an annual address to the nation at Christmas, this is only the fifth time she will make a special address since the first just before the First Gulf War in 1991.

The other three have been following the tragic death of Princess Diana in 1997, at the death of the Queen Mother in 2002, and the diamond jubilee of her accession to the throne in 2012.

Continue Reading

Disaster

COVID-19 cases in Turkey rise to 27,069

Turkey’s total number of recoveries from the coronavirus reached 1,042, while 1,381 patients are still in intensive care units.

Published

on

By

COVID-19 cases in Turkey

Ankara, April 6 : Turkey’s total number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 climbed to 27,069, with 3,135 new patients reported in last 24 hours, Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said.

The death toll from the novel coronavirus in Turkey reached 574 after 73 more lost their lives over the past 24 hours, Koca tweeted on Sunday, reported Xinhua news agency.

Turkey’s total number of recoveries from the coronavirus reached 1,042, while 1,381 patients are still in intensive care units.

On March 11, Turkey reported its first COVID-19 case.

Continue Reading

World

Confirmed COVID-19 cases in Germany approach 90,000

Published

on

Berlin, April 5 More than 89,300 COVID-19 cases and at least 1,250 deaths have been registered as of Saturday afternoon across Germany, according to evaluations of a local media outlet which took into account the latest figures from all federal states.

The confirmed cases increased by 5,600 from the previous day, and the deaths by 147, Xinhua reported.

Helge Braun, head of the Federal Chancellery, told the Saturday edition of the Frankfurter Allgemeine that the peak of the COVID-19 crisis in Germany has not yet been reached, and “the time with the highest infection numbers is still ahead of us.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular